Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Satish ThakurYour feedback matters!
Vaginal Atrophy: What the CLOSER Survey Reveals
Vaginal atrophy (VA) has a great effect on women and their male partners, according to survey results recently published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine.
It’s possible that these results may prompt more communication about VA between couples and their healthcare providers.
Vaginal atrophy refers to changes in the vagina caused by menopause. When estrogen levels drop, the vagina may lose some elasticity, leading to dryness, discomfort, and pain. Some studies estimate that over half of women experience some degree of vaginal atrophy. However, VA is not something many women freely discuss.
To learn more about how VA affects women and their male partners, a research team from Italy and the United States conducted a survey, which was administered online to 4,100 women and 4,100 men from nine countries: the United Kingdom, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, France, Canada, and the U.S.
The assessment was called the CLOSER (CLarifying Vaginal Atrophy’s Impact On SEx and Relationships) Survey.
The women were between 55 and 65 years old and had stopped menstruating at least 12 months prior to the survey. They also had symptoms of VA.
The men were in relationships with postmenopausal women aged 55 to 65 who had vaginal discomfort. They were not partnered with the female participants.
For both men and women, VA/vaginal discomfort were described as, “dryness, itching, burning, or soreness in the vagina, bleeding during intercourse, pain during urination, or pain in the vagina in connection with touching and/or intercourse.”
The survey included questions about vaginal discomfort, its symptoms, and its effects on intimacy, relationships, and self-esteem. Participants were also asked about erectile dysfunction (ED) and VA treatments, such as local estrogen therapy (LET).
Most of the women (72%) said that they told their partners when they first felt vaginal discomfort. The other 28% did not do so, explaining that they were embarrassed or thought their symptoms were a normal part of aging. Thirty-six percent said they would try self-treatment before telling their partner about their symptoms.
The authors noted that the men were more likely to discuss VA than the women were, although they were not always aware that sex was uncomfortable for their partner.
Half the women said they were “upset their body does not work as it used to.” Others reported that they felt old and sexually unattractive. Some lost confidence as a sexual partner and others felt that the symptoms would never go away.
Many sexual behaviors changed as a result of VA. Over half the participants said they had less sex and almost a quarter stopped having sex altogether. Sixty-two percent of the women and 76% of the men said they avoided intimacy.
Fifty-eight percent of the women used vaginal moisturizers or lubricants to alleviate their symptoms. Only 15% of the men knew that their partner was using this type of treatment.
Local estrogen therapy appeared to improve sex lives, relationships, and quality of life. Over half the men and women said that sex was less painful and almost half the women said sex was more satisfying.
The researchers stressed the importance of communication about VA between couples themselves and with their healthcare providers.
They also explained the role of healthcare providers in that discussion. “Because women may not be willing to openly discuss the vaginal discomfort they are experiencing, it is crucial for [healthcare providers] to be proactive in helping women address the issue of VA,” they wrote.
The Journal of Sexual Medicine
Nappi, Rossella E., MD, PhD, et al.
“The CLOSER (CLarifying Vaginal Atrophy's Impact On SEx and Relationships) Survey: Implications of Vaginal Discomfort in Postmenopausal Women and in Male Partners”
(Full-text. First published online: June 27, 2013)
- See more at: http://www.issm.info/news/sex-health-headlines/vaginal-atrophy-what-the-closer-survey-reveals#sthash.6PwSR5cv.dpuf
I am 19 years old. I had sex with my boyfriend on 12th july. I took unwanted 72 after an hour. I tested on 15th it came negative through prega news. Last month I had my periods on 23rd june. Like others I am not having brown discharge. Am I pregnant ? Is there anything to worry about ?
Dear sir/mam, My wife is 5th month pregnant and my question is up to how many months can we have a safe sex with out leaning on her that too only one angle I. E. One on other (top and bottom). Regards, RAJESH.
My wife missed her proper monthly periods and after her 16th week she got her pregnancy tests done and it came positive in spite of her being bleeding once between those weeks. And we are not prepared or ready to go for another as this was unplanned. Please advise.
I used to where leggi and frok karti in my pregnancy. I did not feel uncomfortable but whenever I go to fresh up in the morning I feel lil my tummy pressed. And it takes at least 10 mints for me to squat is there any problem with pressing of stomach becoz my 5 month is started now and my bump size is normal but I feel uncomfortable to sit for a long time. I use indian toilet I want to ask is it ok and when I will enter in my 7 and 8 month the same problem will occur so it will harm my baby or it will be ok. Pls suggest.
Successful living is a state where the mind and body are in perfect sync. In this state, one is able to make use of all of the available resources to live happily and with satisfactory results as far as life, work and relationships go. This does not mean that there are absolutely no problems. It simply means that you look at the problems and challenges as opportunities for growth, and solve them to live to the best of your abilities.
So what are the rules for successful living? Here is our list!
- Believe and Understand: While you may have heard the phrase, 'Believe in yourself', you would not have heard the word understand associated with it on a normal basis. Yet, the crux of the matter is this to believe, you must understand. Believing in your abilities is one side of the coin. Understanding your limitations is the other side. So, once you have both things in place, it becomes easier to plan your actions in a realistic manner. When you believe in your competence and understand your limitations, you will either take on those tasks that will be commensurate with your skills, or you will equip yourself with higher skills so as to take on even more varied activities and tasks.
- Simplify: This is an often repeated and extremely underrated term. To be more organised, you do not merely need the latest modular fittings in your home and office. One of the aspects of simplifying is decluttering. When you declutter, you are effectively removing all those things that do not serve you. If these things were to remain in front of you, they will only serve to expend your energy with thoughts of wastage and wastage of time as well, since you will be working your way through chaos to get to your core.
- Moderation: Simplification and moderation go hand in hand. Superfluous acts may give instant gratification, but they do not serve you in the long run. They strip you of self-control and can even alienate you from your relationships as you get closer to things rather than people. So, it is good to have a healthy dose of everything in your life for true balance and successful living.
- Perspective: If problems are bogging you down, then there are chances that your perspective is all wrong. Being more open and looking at the big picture are two sure shot ways of ensuring that the problems come and go without affecting your equilibrium.
Being in the moment and putting your family first is a part of creating a balanced situation in life where judegments, material wants and egos will not matter.
I am 19 year old and my breast is to much short size is 28 what can I do to bigger my breast in 2 weeks.
I m 22 years of age. Recently I did sex with my fiancee and he told me that i m not a virgin. But I never done sex before. Then I checked my vagina with my fingers and I also have doubt that i m not a virgin because my vagina's hole is too big and I never felt pain when he entered his penis at the first time. I m I virgin or not?
If a girl take her urine pregnancy test with prega news near to the dates of her periods is there any chance ki results galat bataye?
I had unprotected sex for the first time in months using the pullout method on Friday, and got my period on Saturday. I had no symptoms save for some cramping Saturday which I thought were ovulation cramps. My period is also lighter than normal. I've been on a weird sleep schedule, and have gained weight in the past few months. I was wondering if I could still be pregnant, or if it's just timing. My last period was December 30th.
Fructose a sugar common in the western diet can damage hundreds of brain genes in a way that could lead to a range of diseases from diabetes to cardiovascular disease and from Alzheimer's to attention deficit hyperactivity disorders.
Hi. Every month my periods get delayed by 5 to 6 days and this month it has been delayed by 7 days and yet iy has not come. What should I do?
I am a 23 year old female and got married last year, can you suggest tablets for conceive we are planing for pregnancy?
Hi I have an sex with my gf on 21st july 2016. Basically slightly I have touched her vagina with my penis . I am not sure that my sperm touched her vagina or not. I just want too ask if I wait till 10th august so that her periods come or not . After 10th august if periods does not come and if she take ipill tablet. I Pill really reacts or not ? If i pill not react any other thing too stop her pregnancy ? Please answer me I am in tension.
I am 1 month pregnant and previously I had an miscarriage in month of February. Now I am pregnant again in this month. But I had an bleeding after having sex with my husband. I want to know why it is happened. And is there any issue with my pregnancy.
The Benefits of Papaya
1. Digestion - the enzyme papain present in papaya is known to aid digestion by breaking down proteins. Therefore, a glass of papaya juice is often recommended as a home remedy for digestion-related problems or constipation.
2. Anti-inflammatory - apart from papain, papaya also contains other effective enzymes that help against inflammation and promote healing of burns.
3. Heart disease and cancer - papaya is rich in anti-oxidants and phytonutrients that work against free radicals and therefore is said to protect the body from possible heart diseases and cancer.
4. Diabetes - many researchers have found that the consumption of raw papaya could help maintain blood sugar level and cholesterol because of the high fiber content, thereby keeping a check on diabetes. According to a study done by the centre of excellence for biomedical and biomaterials research at the mauritius university, green tea and fermented papaya work together as preventive means for diabetes. In some parts of india, especially the north east, papaya flowers are locally used as a preventive measure against diabetes. The bitter flowers are lightly sautéed in a little oil and consumed as a side to rice on a regular basis.
5. Immunity - papaya is a great source of vitamin a, b, c, and k and is known as an excellent immunity booster. It is great for the growth of body tissues, including hair and skin. It helps in maintaining collagen, the structural protein of connective tissues. It is said that a medium-sized papaya could provide you double your daily requirement of vitamins.
6. Cleansing - beauty experts too, often suggest using slices of papaya as a natural skin cleanser as the active enzymes work wonders to remove impurities.
7. Arthritis - it is also rich in minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium and copper. Regular consumption helps in building up the calcium bank in the body and in the long run could help keep a check on arthritis.
8. Dengue - papaya leaves are commonly used in the treatment of dengue to help boost up the count of platelets. Dr. Anju sood, a bangaluru-based nutritionist says, “dengue is an infection which affects the blood platelets massively. A simple remedy to get back the platelets count is to give the patient a glass of papaya leaf juice. It is prepared by grinding the leaves with a small amount of water to extract the juice.” however, dengue can prove to be fatal once it develops into dengue hemorrhagic fever which shuts down the circulatory system.
9. Weight loss - papaya is low in calories and therefore proves to be the perfect option for breakfast. A serving of 140 grams of the fruit contains only 60 calories, with total fat 0.4 gram, no cholesterol, 15.7 gram carbohydrates and 2.5 gram dietary fiber.
The season of winter is all about enjoyment and is full of fun and festivities. As we while away our time enjoying, our body works its own course of eliminating toxic substances from the organs. But there is always a way to make things better. In other words, the process of clearing toxins is known as detoxification and what better way could be there than Ayurveda. During the process of detoxification, there are certain things that should be avoided like sugar, alcohol, caffeine, gluten, soda, etc.
Why choose the ayurvedic way?
It is the natural process through which the body cleanses naturally without undergoing any turmoil due to side effects. During winter, it is a challenge to detoxify as we consume more in order to keep ourselves warm. Ayurveda’s detoxification methods are safe and trusted for centuries.
Why is winter detoxification necessary?
During winter, we require more energy but due to toxins and more food consumption for a warmer body, the digestive system and the immune system are weakened thus making people more vulnerable to sickness. Winter detoxification helps one to control the energy level and makes the person stay fit, healthy and energised. Detoxification cleanses the digestive system and improves the immune system and also helps in losing weight by flushing out the excess fat from the body.
Detoxifying ayurvedic drinks
Natural ayurvedic drinks prepared at home help in retrieving one's healthy self by detoxifying the body's systems. Also, consuming such preparations regularly will offer continual benefits.
- Coriander, lemon and green tea: The combination of coriander, lemon and green tea helps in balancing the fundamentals of the body. This preparation, again, can be consumed every day. It delays the onset of ageing and also remarkably reduces the visible signs of ageing on the skin.
- Lime water with pepper: A glass of warm water mixed with lemon juice and a pinch of pepper powder works wonders on an empty stomach. It helps in detoxifying and improving the digestive system.
- Vegetable juice: Vegetables like carrots and spinach that is widely available in winters can be used in preparing juices. The vegetables, when combined with Apple, Celery, and ginger, is a drink that offers many medicinal benefits and tasty as well.
- Lemon ginger water: The combination of lemon and ginger is said to be one of the healthiest ayurvedic drink to help detox your body during winter. Take a glass of warm water mixed with ginger and lemon juice. This helps have a healthy and clean digestive system.
- Aloe vera juice: Aloe vera is yet another nature's gift that helps in flushing out toxins. A bit of aloe vera gel mixed with water or orange juice have been working wonders in detoxification for centuries. It is another healthy winter drink.
- Amla juice: Amla is said to be the best aid in losing weight and boosts up the immune system. Amlas soaked in water overnight and blended in a mixer can be taken thrice every day. The juice has a tangy taste but is effective.
To combat winter, Ayurvedic detox drinks are always handy and helpful. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.