Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Surrogacy
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Management of Postnatal Care
Adiana System Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sarojani JoshiYour feedback matters!
Have you switched to diet drinks from regular ones considering your weight or calorie intake? it probably is not the right choice. The reason is drinking diet beverages harms your body and will only result in more weight gain.
Although diet beverages are calorie free, they are added with artificial sweetener called aspartame which is reportedly 200 times sweeter than table sugar. This chemical adversely affects many body functions.
Effects of diet beverages on body in this list might suggest why you should continue your regular beverages occasionally, instead of shifting to diet drinks.
1. Increases belly fat
According to studies, the people who drank diet beverages showed increased waist size than the ones who drank the regular sugar drinks. The reason is believed to be the artificial sweetener and changed attitude towards food habits as the diet beverages easily justify high calorie food like burger, fries etc in turn. This is a concern as increased visceral fat, a body fat stored within abdominal cavity, is associated with increased risk of heart diseases and type 2 diabetes, the most common diabetes related to problems with insulin regulating the blood sugar.
2. Damage to brain
Aspartame is also known to damage brain by affecting the nerve cells and nerve endings in the cerebellum which are important for motor skills.
3. Low bone density
Drinking diet drinks lead to low bone mineral density and osteoporosis especially in females. Pelvic bone is most commonly affected in women by regular consumption of diet beverages.
4. Harmful for teeth
The diet beverages also contain large volume of citric acid which causes tooth erosion destroying tooth enamel in the regular users. The risk is comparatively less in the regular sugar drinks users.
5. Side effects
As aspartame may also interfere with different activities of brain, there are many side effects of diet drinks like headache, change in vision, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, memory loss, depression etc.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on'consult.
I got my periods on 9th november. We had sex on 21st november. I got some bleeding on 7th december which stopped in 2 days. I checked using home pregnancy kit today but it shows negative.
Hie doctor I am 22 years old. I had protected sex with my husband but due to contraceptive failure I took i-pill continuously for 3 days. Again in 4 th day (in morning) I had protected sex but this time we are not sure if the condom actually broke. Do I need to take ipill again. Please reply as I am left with only 24 hours. P. S. On 3rd day I took the med at around 3pm.
Is it safe to have sex during pregnancy. If to avoid which months of pregnancy it should be avoided.
I am having bigger breasts.in comparison with my body. How can I reduce the size of my breasts? Is there medicine available? Or is there any other way for the same?
My wife missed her periods. Last period date is 19 mar 2016. pregnancy test result is positive. We do not want baby now as already we have two kids aged 6 and 3 yrs. So can you please prescribed some medical to abort the pregnancy.
Medical Abortion -non-surgical abortion in which medicines are used to induce abortion
Surgical Abortion - Use of transcervical procedures for terminating pregnancy, including vacuum aspiration, and dilatation and evacuation (D&E).
Surgical or Medical Abortion for Unwanted Pregnancy
If pregnancy is <= 7 weeks; medical Method with Mifepristone with misoprostol is favorable as success rate is as high as 97%.
If pregnancy is between 7-12 weeks; surgical abortion is the only option.
If pregnancy is beyond 12 weeks – 20 weeks, then woman needs to be hopsitalized and will be given either Mifepristone followed by Misoprostol tablet or only misoprostol tablets and woman will then abort like a miscarriage in the Hospital. If any products are remaining then it will be evacuated surgically.
Surgical abortion is preferred if patient desires concurrent tubal ligation or IUCD (CuT) insertion.
If a woman fulfills the criteria for selecting either method i.e. Before 7 weeks), final choice to be given to the woman.
Summary of Choice between Surgical or Medical abortion in India
<= 7 weeks – Medical method or Surgical method
7-12 weeks – Surgical abortion
12 – 20 weeks – Medicines with or without surgical procedure in Hospital.
Advantages of Medical Abortion
Avoids surgery. Controlled by the woman and may take place at home. No need for admission to the Hospital. Usually well tolerated by women if properly counselled and motivated. No need to take leave from work, as bleeding can be manged with menstrual pads even while in office or at work.
Disadvantages of Medical abortion
Takes time (hours to days) to complete abortion, and the timing may not be predictable. Women experience bleeding and cramping, and potentially some other side-effects (nausea, vomiting, fever, and shivering). May require more clinic visits than surgical abortion.
Advantages of Surgical Abortion
Quick procedure. Complete abortion easily verified by evaluation of aspirated products of conception. Takes place in a Hospital so Sterilization or placement of an intrauterine device (IUD) may be performed at the same time as the procedure. It can be performed under local anaesthesia if woman is properly motivated and counselled.
Disadvantages of Surgical abortion
Requires instrumentation of the uterus. Small risk of uterine or cervical injury. Timing of abortion controlled by the Doctor and Hospital. Anaesthesia wneeds to be administered. Most doctors perform this procedure under short general anaesthesia. Woman needs to be in the Hospital for at least 6 hours. Effect of sedation will be there throuout the day.
I had period after 5 months. And it is continues bleeding from 20 days. Is it good for health r bad. I have hypothyroidism.
I went through normal delivery on 5th feb. Few stitches were given. All sudden today I started feeling pain where stitches were given what to do? Even I feel like I will get faint. Please help.
Since last one and half year I am having irregular period which means earlier period twice in a month now 3 months gap, what could be the reason? I have only one every because I had Iberian syst 10 years back and removed one ovary, is it because of that or something else?
I done my wife's pregnancy test by prega news when I checked first time result come is negative and when I checked again after 10 days then the result which is came in that one pink line is came between T and C so, I am can't able to understand that what is the results we got.
Today I have did pregnancy test to my gf in that we got positive result, we don't want pregnancy right now, now she is one month pregnant, please help me how to stop pregnancy with tablets and how to use where to get?
My last menstrual period was on 24th January 2016. I am pregnant. On march 8th I had an ultrasound. But only double decidual sac was present and no fetal node and yolk sac. Is there any problem?
My daughter is 10 years old. She was age attend (starting first period) on Oct 11 2016. Somebody told me girls first period starts between 12 to 13 age. But my daughter menstruation period starts from 10 years age. What is the reason?
Hi mam, my wife is last stage in pregnancy. But 2 days, facing itching problem on all body. Can you suggest me what we do?
My wife has cesarean delivery 2 months earlier. Her period is not yet start. So what should I do for safe sex. We do not want baby for 3 years. Advice appropriately.
Today ‘working’ usually implies sitting at a desk from morning to evening. While this may seem more comfortable than working in the fields, sitting at a desk can trigger a host of back problems. This is because sitting in the same position all day makes the spine bend forward and lowers the efficiency of the back muscles. Working at a desk not only strains your back, but also restricts your movements to typing on a keyboard and moving a mouse.
Once a back problem begins, it usually lasts a lifetime hence; here are a few tips to save your back.
- Get yourself a good chair: Your chair is crucial to your back’s health. Avoid the hard backed plastic chairs and pick a more flexible mesh backed office chair if you sit at the table for a long span of time. Ergonomic chairs may seem expensive, but are worth the expense in the long run.
- Stretch your muscles: Sitting in the same position all day, puts the muscles under stress and with time can constrict the muscles. Make it appoint to stand up every 30 minutes and stretch your back and sides. Also try rotating your hips and shoulders form time to time.
- Take a break: No matter how much work you have in front of you, take a break at the end of each hour. Taking even 2 minutes off out of 60 every hour can have a huge impact on your health. If you still feel guilty skip using the phone to connect with your colleague and walk over to their desks instead.
- Get a pedometer: Keeping a pedometer will help you track the number of steps taken in a day. Ideally, a person should take 10,000 steps a day to stay healthy. If you sit at a desk for majority of the day, take every opportunity you can to up the count on your pedometer. Go for a walk around your office after lunch or park your car a little way off from the office to create opportunities to walk.
- Take the stairs: As far as possible avoid escalators and elevators. Instead climb stairs for a quick workout. If your office is on the 20th floor, walking up may not be feasible, but you could get off the elevator on the 18th floor and walk up the remaining two floors.
- Eat healthy: Lastly, pay attention to what you eat. Avoid eating at the office canteen or picking up a bite at the coffee shop and carry lunch from home. This ensures that you eat a balanced meal. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a physiotherapist.
HPV or human papillomavirus is a strain of viral infection that is usually passed through skin to skin contact. There are many varieties of HPV although the main focus is one the ones, which are usually transmitted through sexual contact. Most sexually active people are infected by this disease although very few develop the full fledged symptoms.
Symptoms of HPV: Primary symptoms of HPV are the growth of warts on your body in various stages or in various areas. Some of them are:
- Typical common warts: The easiest way to spot an HPV infection is the development of common warts on any parts of the body. They could appear on elbows, hands, feet and fingers. These look like bumps on the skin and although they aren't usually are painful and itchy, but are unsightly.
- Flat warts: Flat warts tend to be small smooth bumps, which are slightly raised skin lesions on the body which can be a little darker in colour. Men usually get this in the beard and face area while women tend to get this on their legs.
- Plantar warts: These warts usually grow on the heels or the balls of the feet and are hard grainy growths. These can be painful and even cause discomfort while walking.
- Genital warts: This is one of the most obvious and most common symptoms of HPV, especially in the variety, which is transmitted through sexual contact. These usually look like small bumps or protrusions on the skin and can be of different shapes. Women can have this on the vulva, vagina or even cervix and men can have this on the penis, scrotum, and adjacent areas. Both men and women can have this on their anus as well.
Causes of HPV: The primary cause of HPV infection is the intrusion of the virus in your skin through small cuts or abrasions on your skin. Skin to skin contact with an infected person will transfer this. However, genital warts are usually transferred from skin to during sexual contact. Even oral sex can transmit HPV and cause lesions in the upper respiratory tract and cause breathing problems as well. Most warts can also be transferred with the contact or touching the wart directly and thus should be avoided.
Eating disorders can be defined as conditions that influence your eating behaviour significantly and which may give rise to serious health issues. Eating disorders are associated with behaviours like compulsively counting calories, puking after meals, living on a rigid diet etc. which often leads to a feeling of self-loathing and obsessive thoughts about food and weight.
Here are the three most common eating disorders and the symptoms by which they can be identified.
1. Anorexia nervosa - This disorder is considered to be a mortally dangerous condition in which the body weight reduces drastically. An individual is terrified about gaining weight and can take extreme steps to maintain their weight and shape, often leading to starvation, vomiting and many other health problems.
Common symptoms include:
-Reducing the amount of food to be consumed to cut down the calories
-Exercising beyond capacity to burn calories
-Recurrently monitoring your shape, weight and appearance
-Avoiding social gatherings where you will be offered food
-Irregular menstrual cycles in women
-Erectile dysfunction in men
2. Bulimia nervosa - Mostly observed among people in their mid-teens, Bulimia nervosa is a serious type of eating disorder associated with episodes of bingeing and purging with the individual being unable to regulate their eating habits. Moreover, the person suffering from this disease often feels guilty and horror-struck about weight gain and forces himself/herself to vomit.
Normally, people suffering from this condition exhibit the following habits:
-Use of laxatives or throw up forcibly to get rid of calories
-Feeling exhausted and guilty
-Experiencing irregularity in their menstrual cycles
-The inability to maintain normal weight, in spite of trying to eliminate calories
3. Binge-eating disorder - This disorder is characterised by overeating, eating even when you don't feel hungry and continuing to eat even after feeling full. People suffering from this disorder cultivate a feeling of guilt inside them for overeating but do not try to nullify its effect by vomiting or exercising intensely. Some of the most prominent symptoms of this disorder include:
-Eating alone to hide the embarrassment caused due to overeating
-Eating quicker than normal people
-Binge eating at minimum one instance every week