Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Sankit MehtaYour feedback matters!
Colorectal cancer, also known as colon cancer or bowel cancer; is the occurrence of cancer in the colon and the rectum region. Colorectal cancer may either be malignant or benign, the former spreads to other areas of the body whereas, the latter stays confined to its place. It is characterized by an abnormal growth of cells in the rectum or the colon.
The various surgical treatment options for colorectal cancer are:
1. Right colectomy: This procedure involves removal of the right part of the colon. A part of the small intestine, which is attached to the right side of the colon, known as ileum, is also removed.
2. Partial colectomy: In partial colectomy, only a portion of the colon that has been affected by cancer is removed. The remaining parts are fused together in a process called ‘Anastomosis’. This procedure does not cause much change in your bowel habits.
3. Total abdominal colectomy: In this procedure, the large intestine is removed from the body.
4. Abdominoperineal resection: Abdominoperineal resection involves removing the rectum, anus and the sigmoid colon (part of the intestine that leads to the rectum).
5. Total proctocolectomy: This is an extensive procedure wherein, both the colon and the rectum are removed. If the anus is weak or damaged, then it needs to be removed as well.
Apart from these procedures, there are other surgical procedures that complement the above procedures, they are:
1. Fecal diversion: This is a procedure where an opening is formed between the small intestine and the skin’s surface so that it facilitates the healing process.
2. K pouch: The K pouch also called continent ileostomy is a pouch, which is attached to the anus so that feces can be passed normally. The K pouch contains nipple valve that prevents leakage; it is emptied by inserting a catheter in the stoma.
3. Stomas: A stoma is an opening on the skin of the bowel. This is done when the normal route of bowel is disturbed after a surgery.
I am suffering from fibroadenoma since a long time but I have been taking homeopathy medicine since last six months. The time I take medicine my tumour is in small size but if I stop taking it, my tumour grows. What should I do to remove the tumour completely except having a surgery?
I have lump at breast on right side how to cure it Age 52 years (F) without F. N. A. C. please suggest?
I am 28 years old women. Before 4 years I took a surgery for lump on my right breast. At the same time a tiny lumps on my left breast too. I took needle biopsy to the both breast at that time. The result is normal. The biopsy result of right breast is also normal. After 6 months of surgery I got married and delivers a child before our first anniversary. My left breast lump is become larger during this period. Am i suspect the left breast lump cancer. I am afraid to a medical examine. Please give me a clarification.
Is cancer curable or not or some symptoms of cancer what precautions should one take to cure or saty away from cancer.
Sir, Actually my one right nipple is little bigger than the left one. Also there is red spot around the bigger nipple. I also feel pain sometimes in the bigger nipple when I touch with my hands. Sir is this a Brest Cancer. I also have migraine is this due to migraine? Sir kindly help me I'm afraid to tell my parents.
I am 19 years old female. I have some doubt about cancer symptoms that I face. First is that my breasts are different size. Right is larger than left. Some times the nipple retracted. And many hairs are surround the nipple. If it seen in women? and I feel some block in throat. After eating food I feel very disturbance. I test the thyroid test. It is normal. I am disturbed by these problems. If tese are the symptoms of cancer?
I had a pimple kind of thing on my breast I itched it and blood came out of it! Is that symbol of breast cancer?
I am a male of 61 yrs. My prostate is enlarged a little and about 40 cc urine is retained in the ultrasound. I have to go to urinate about 3 times at night. I also have uric acid in the range of 7 to 10 for which I take Febuget 40. Because of high uric acid I have joint pains in the knee and ankles. My libido has also reduced significantly. I am a by pass patient and am on blood pressure medication and Clopitab A 75. Any help in homeopathy?
COMPLEX THICK WALLED OVARIAN CYST. Please I was diagnose with a complex thick walled ovarian cyst. Could this be ovarian cancer? How can I handle this cos my heart is popping out of my body. Please anyone with similar case?
I am a mouth cancer patient can eat food due to lack of saliva. My weight was 140 kgs & in a year i am now 60 kgs only. Please just guide
I'm a 23 years old girl (55 kg, 5.4 ft). I have been experiencing sudden bursts of very painful breast pain on one of my breasts for the last few days. The pain is inside and feels quite sharp. I almost always feel the pain when I lay improperly or if there is even a bit of impact on it. Somehow it has to do with my movements. Just for the record, I'm currently in India for vacation (I'm originally from EU). The pain started few days after my arrival. Could it be cancer?
I am a 20 year old girl. I suffered nasopharynx carcinoma due to which I had to undergo chemo and radiation. As a side effect of which my salivary glands are damaged. Saliva production is minimum. Please suggest me ways to boost my saliva.
Sir I am 23 year old women my problem yah hai mere breast bahut hi dheele hai meri 3sal pahle ek ladki hui thi tabhi se mere braist bahut loose ho gye hai isse mere husband meri taraf aakrsit nhi hote doosri ourto ko dekhe sir please help.
Where do I start. I have alway had lumps in my breast. Always very lumpy. Went for a mammogram and ultra sound yesterday. Well I don't know why this one upset me so much. Was very teary. That the mammogram first to be told that they had to do more imaging on the left. Then the U/S and was told they.
I was having mouth cancer. 16 teeth took from me. Some portion of my teeth were there in my mouth. It's painful. When I went to a dentist to close it. The doctor told me no need of any closing. But it's very painful. Can't able to talk properly. Root canal is required. This is what doctor said. For that a medical certificate is needed. While having spicy food my gum is getting so worse. But when using ointment it gets cured. Is there any problem in doing root canal.. Will it affect me in any different ways. Please advice.
Hi sir,my friend aged 25years having Gynecomastia consulted laproscopic surgeon and advised for Prolactin,FSH,Testosterone,TSH and laboratory reports were found to be normal,and if it is not harmonal problem then what could it be?is there any medication for this?suggest for appropriate treatment.. waiting for ur reply.....thanking you
Hi I am suffering from right breast pain to right hand from last one year and also consulted to the doctors they maid many tests like X ray and ultrasound even ecg but every thing is normal.
We live in an age where every single individual, more or less, is exposed to the risk of cancer. It is probably an unfavorable lifestyle we lead that deprives us of good health. This might alarm many but considerable changes in lifestyle can help you realize cancer as a preventable disease. Cancer does not only make you undergo severe suffering but it also affects your friends and family. The pallor of misery spreads wider than you think.
- Abstain from tobacco: Consuming raw tobacco or smoking tobacco can be equally detrimental to your health. Tobacco increases your chances of contracting the disease. As is known, passive smoking can also affect your health adversely. Tobacco can be the potential cause behind cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, lungs, oral cavity and even the pancreas. It might harm your kidneys and cervix. It is upon you to quit tobacco at the earliest possible. One should also try and persuade friends and relatives to give up smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: Complete abstinence from alcohol might not be possible if you have already been ushered into your work- life. The society might require you to be an occasional drinker. It is important to drink in moderation. Crossing the limit can propel consequences as serious as cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver and the heart.
- A balanced and nutritious diet: Deciding on a plant- based diet or a Mediterranean diet can aid your fight against the risk of cancer. A Mediterranean diet will involve green leafy vegetables, lots of fresh fruits, whole grains, mixed nuts, legumes and also the use of extra- virgin olive oil. Fish can be a safe bet but red meat should be avoided. One must also try to avoid processed meat as they tend to make you prone to the risk of cancer.
- Immunization: Hepatitis B and HPV or Human papilloma virus vaccines are extremely necessary to protect you against the sexually transmitted types of cancer.
- Sun protection: Caring for your skin doesn't arise from vanity. Skin cancer is one of the most prevalent kinds of cancer; the chances of this disease can be restricted by remaining in shade especially during midday, by wearing covered clothes and by using a good sunscreen lotion repeatedly while outside.
- Exercise diligently: Did you think it was okay to have weaker muscles and bulging layers of fat? If yes, you probably have grown numb to the inadequacies you face in result. Unchecked fat can lead to obesity which further complicates health conditions. Metabolic activity differs from person to person. Regular exercising can help regulate metabolism according to the needs of your body. Physical exercise protects you against the risk of breast and colon cancer. Moderate or vigorous physical activity for 150 to 75 minutes a week respectively can reduce the risk of cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a oncologist.