Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. SangeethaYour feedback matters!
Children with Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD may be:
Inattentive, but not hyperactive or impulsive.
Hyperactive and impulsive, but able to pay attention.
Inattentive, hyperactive, and impulsive (the most common form of
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD . Children who only have inattentive symptoms of Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD are often overlooked, since they’re not disruptive. However, the symptoms of inattention have consequences: getting in hot water with parents and teachers for not following directions; underperforming in school; or clashing with other kids over not playing by the rules.
CLASSIFICATION OF ADHD
Inattentive signs and symptoms of ADHD
It is not the children with ADHD which can’t pay attention: when they’re doing things they enjoy or hearing about topics in which they’re interested, they have no trouble focusing and staying on task. But when the task is repetitive or boring, they quickly tune out. Staying on track is another common problem. Children with ADHD often bounce from task to task without completing any of them, or skip necessary steps in procedures. Organizing their school work and their time is harder for them than it is for most children. Kids with ADHD also have trouble concentrating if there are things going on around them; they usually need a calm, quiet environment in order to stay focused.
Symptoms of inattention in children:
Doesn’t pay attention to details
Makes careless mistakes
Has trouble staying focused; is easily distracted
Appears not to listen when spoken to
Has difficulty remembering things and following instructions
Has trouble staying organized, planning ahead, and finishing projects
Gets bored with a task before it’s completed
Frequently loses or misplaces homework, books, toys, or other items
Hyperactive signs and symptoms of ADHD
The most obvious sign of ADHD is hyperactivity. While many children are naturally quite active, kids with hyperactive symptoms of attention deficit disorder are always moving. They may try to do several things at once, bouncing around from one activity to the next. Even when forced to sit still which can be very difficult for them their foot is tapping, their leg is shaking, or their fingers are drumming. Symptoms of hyperactivity in children:
Constantly fidgets and squirms
Often leaves his or her seat in situations where sitting quietly is expected
Moves around constantly, often runs or climbs inappropriately
Has difficulty playing quietly or relaxing
Is always “on the go,” as if driven by a motor
May have a quick temper or a “short fuse”
Impulsive signs and symptoms of ADHD
The impulsivity of children with ADHD can cause problems with self-control. Because they censor themselves less than other kids do, they’ll interrupt conversations, invade other people’s space, ask irrelevant questions in class, make tactless observations, and ask overly personal questions. Instructions like “Be patient” and “Just wait a little while” are twice as hard for children with ADHD to follow as they are for other youngsters. Children with impulsive signs and symptoms of ADHD also tend to be moody and to overreact emotionally. As a result, others may start to view the child as disrespectful, weird, or needy. Symptoms of impulsivity in children:
Acts without thinking
Blurts out answers in class without waiting to be called on or hear the whole question
Can’t wait for his or her turn in line or in games
Says the wrong thing at the wrong time
Often interrupts others
Intrudes on other people’s conversations or games
Inability to keep powerful emotions in check, resulting in angry outbursts or temper tantrums
Guesses, rather than taking time to solve a problem
Medical causes of ADHD
The specific causes of ADHD are not known. There are, however, a number of factors that may contribute to, or exacerbate ADHD. They include genetics, diet and the social and physical environments.
Genetics Twin studies indicate that the disorder is highly heritable and that genetics are a factor in about 75 percent of all cases. Researchers believe that a large majority of ADHD cases arise from a combination of various genes, many of which affect dopamine transporters.
Environmental Twin studies to date have suggested that approximately 9 to 20 percent of the variance in hyperactive-impulsive-inattentive behavior or ADHD symptoms can be attributed to nonshared environmental (nongenetic) factors. Environmental factors implicated include alcohol and tobacco smoke exposure during pregnancy and environmental exposure to lead in very early life.
Complications during pregnancy and birth Complications during pregnancy and birth, including premature birth, might also play a role. ADHD patients have been observed to have higher than average rates of head injuries. Infections during pregnancy, at birth, and in early childhood are linked to an increased risk of developing ADHD. and streptococcal bacterial infection.
Insecticides The organophosphate insecticide chlorpyrifos, which is used on some fruits and vegetables, with delays in learning rates, reduced physical coordination, and behavioral problems in children, especially ADHD..
Social The World Health Organisation states that the diagnosis of ADHD can represent family dysfunction or inadequacies in the educational system rather than individual psychopathology. Other researchers believe that relationships with caregivers have a profound effect on attentional and self-regulatory abilities.
Homeopathic treatment of ADHD is constitutional taking a more holistic look at the individual. Every disease is considered as a Mind-Body process where your personality traits are as important as your physical symptoms thus taking into account diet, lifestyle, personality, surroundings and emotional factors. Natural remedies are used to successfully treat the symptoms, helping the person to heal and to reach a state of balance and health. The natural approach is also safe with no side effects. This is very important, especially in the case of children, because of the frequent side effects of prescription drugs and the risk of addiction. Homeopathy offers a wider range of options that conventional medicine. Some of commonly used homoeopathic medicines are Baryta carb, baryta iodatum, calc phos, strammonium, nux vomica, cannabis indicus, carcinosin etc should be taken under strict medical supervision.
My son is 3 month old. We have been trying to supplement him with powder milk since his birth. First time when we tried at his 15th day, he did okay. I didn't try powder till he is 2 month old. At his 2 month age, I fed him 30 ml of powder milk, but he vomited continuously for 4-5 hours after taking powder milk. I am using lactate tablets for milk increase and didn't try powder till he is 2.5 month old. Recently I tried different milk powders (Lactogen, Similac Sensitive), also different quantities all the time he is vomiting for 1-2 hours at least after taking powder milk. Just couple of days back, I tried a teaspoon of powder milk, even after that also he vomited for 2 hours. When he will be able to digest well the powder milk, why he vomits powder milk? Can he be able to eat cerelac at 5 month age like any other baby?
My son is 16 years old but he is not interested in social occasions withdraws himself to talk to people, he does not concentrate , does not have much interest in life , very lazy or else he is very good person.
Did my baby's weight has increased too much in my 30 weeks pregnancy. Can that cause discomfort in chest.
My baby is 1month old. He's just crying. What cud b the reason. Hez nt hungry, his diapers r also clean.
My grand son entered into 5th month, we wish to feed him with nestum or cerelac or parex diet supplement apart from mother milk, amulspray botle feeding as the milk feeding is not sufficient. If permitted, how to prepare the food supplement and how many times may we feed him with qty.
my kid is 3 years old, I joined him in a school, but he will not play with other kids, and sits alone separately, why is he behaving like that, is there any problem. Please reply.
My granddaughter is now 4.5 years old and 3 weeks back she suffered of some scratch in her left cheek and below ear. (not deep one) this scratch was not by injury and it appeared one morning in her cheek and spread below cheek and near ear within 2 days. Now after using medicine, the wound cured but in its place, white color markings are there. I used honey but no use, it? s still there. I afraid this white markings will go or not. Please advise.
Tragedies are a part of life and at some point in life, every person faces them. It may be in different forms like separation, crisis in relationships, financial stress, death of a loved one, some severe disease and many others. Such tragedies can cripple anybody from inside out, but the children can have a devastating effect on their lives. Therefore, it is important that you love and support them during this phase and help them face the situation well.
Here are a few ways of dealing with the effects of tragedies on kids:
- Talk to them, honestly: It is important to assure the kids that they are not alone in this world and should remember that there are many other people who love them. In case of a tragedy, kids usually have a lot of pent-up feelings inside them. You need to talk to them and make them understand that instead of keeping those feelings to themselves, they should talk to you or anyone they trust. Venting out will enable them to relax.
- Act on truth: It is very important to teach the children that no matter what happens in life, there is a chance to start afresh. The kids should be surrounded with people they love, as it will make them feel a little relaxed and open. Also, it is essential for them to know that there’s always hope and not all is lost.
- Remain calm: After a large scale tragedy, your children will usually look up to you regarding, how to react in a situation. Although it is okay for your children to see you sad or in grief, but you should keep as calm as possible and do not react intensely. This will help keep them calm and less anxious.
- Reassure your children about safety: You should make your children understand that they are safe and nothing bad will happen to them. They must be reassured that no harm will come upon them as you are always with them.
- Maintain normal routine: It is essential to give your children a feeling of normalcy. You must try to maintain their normal schedule with the usual dinner time, bed time and school time. You must pay special attention to them to make them feel more secure. You should spend extra time with them and always be there for company and reassurance for any factor.
Children are affected severely by any kind of tragedies as they are fragile and immature. Tragedies disrupt the balance of life, but you must try to make your children feel the crisis as less as possible, so that they get less hampered emotionally. A troubled childhood affects the healthy growing up of a child.
My son is 10 months old. Now, he got a problem like, one of his testis is not in the scrotum. When we scan it, it was given in the report as the left side of the testis is present in the left side external inguinal ring measuring 15 * 6mm. So whether operation is the only solution for him? Or we can wait for few more years for this problem? Kindly suggest me a solution for this issue. We are really worried. In this website itself I am getting two different answers. 1 doctor is asking me to wait and the other one is asking to operate soon. Please give me a suggestion on this. Please connect to pediatric surgeon and answer me. I am confused because, in India itself I have contacted 8 doctors, please give me a clear explanation and suggestion please.
Everybody desires to possess a beautiful smile but poor lifestyle and dietary habits tend to damage the natural white hue of your teeth and add a yellowish tinge to it. Yellowish and dull teeth are among the major factors that cause embarrassment and affect the quality of your beautiful smile.
The following are some foods that tend to damage your teeth:
- Potato chips: Potato chips are high in starch content and have the tendency to get stuck in your teeth. Floss thoroughly after eating potato chips to ensure effective removal of the food particles that get stuck in your teeth to lessen the risk of plaque build-up in it.
- Sticky food: Food which is sticky in nature often has the tendency to stick on to your teeth for longer than most other foods. Most dried fruits also fall under the category of sticky foods that can damage your teeth to a great extent. Rinse and floss on a regular basis after eating these foods to ensure protection of your teeth against damage.
- Wine: According to studies, wine has positive effect on your health when consumed moderately; however, it is also responsible for damaging your oral health. If you intake a glass of wine at night on a regular basis, it increases the risk of damaging your tooth enamel and leads to its discoloration. Wine can also affect the calcium content of your teeth, cause bad breath and may result in the imbalance of your mouth's pH level. It is advisable to drink small sips of wine without swishing it for a long time.
- Coffee and black tea: Black tea and caffeinated coffee tend to dry your mouth. Frequent consumption of tea and coffee tend to stain your teeth and it is responsible for the discoloration of your teeth. Make it a point to drink plenty of water to minimize the risk of teeth staining.
- Carbonated drinks: Most carbonated drinks, including diet soda and soft drinks are acidic in composition and therefore, harmful for the health of your teeth. Caffeinated beverages tend to dry out the mouth, therefore, ensure to drink adequate water to balance out the negative impact of the caffeine.
- Sports drinks: Most energy drinks and sports drinks are high in sugar content and thus, have the tendency to damage your oral hygiene; ultimately affecting the appearance of your teeth. Replace your sports drinks with fresh natural juice to lessen the risk of teeth damage.