Find numerous Dermatologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dermatologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S.r. Kankonkar
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. S.r. KankonkarYour feedback matters!
Scabies is a skin condition that causes the skin to itch. It is caused by a tiny burrowing mite, which is called Sarcoptes scabei. The presence of the mite in the burrowed areas causes intense itching, especially at night. This a contagious condition, which can quickly spread through physical contact in places like nursing homes, schools, prisons etc. An estimate shows that scabies infect over 300 million humans worldwide per year. This eight-legged microscopic mite creates a tunnel in the human skin and lays eggs in it. These larvae move under the surface of the skin and spread across the whole body, once hatched. Dogs, cats and mice can also be affected by the disease.
It usually takes 2 - 6 weeks for the symptoms to develop. Signs and symptoms of scabies involve itching, rashes, sores and thick crusts on the surface of the skin.
Some of the risk factors of scabies are:
- An infected person can easily pass scabies to his/her household or sexual partners. Scabies in adults is usually sexually acquired.
- The likelihood of scabies increases easily under crowded conditions which involves close body and skin contact. Nursing homes, prisons, and several types of care facilities are sites of scabies outbreaks.
- Scabies spreads through direct, prolonged skin-to-skin contact with a person who has mites.
Complications of scabies include:
- Persistent and vigorous scratching can break the surface of your skin which can lead to secondary bacterial infections. Impetigo, a superficial infection is quite a common occurrence in case of such.
- Crusted scabies is the most severe form of scabies which is common among certain groups. People suffering from diseases such as HIV or leukemia and severely ill people who have weakened immune systems are at a higher risk of contracting this condition. This condition, also known as Norwegian scabies is very contagious and also hard to cure. Depending on the symptoms and severity of the condition, appropriate medications and creams are prescribed by medical professionals. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Skin condition which is marked by red, itchy and scaly patches is known as Psoriasis. It is one of the most chronic and long lasting diseases relating to the skin.
The top five conditions that can damage the condition are listed below:
- Infections: Psoriasis also gets worsened by common infections like an earache, bronchitis, throat infection, and such others. It is highly recommended for you to consult your doctor if you have anybody infections along with psoriasis. So the doctor will be able to tell you the risk of the infection and how to go about managing it.
- Weather changes: Medical researchers have proved that psoriasis tends to grow in colder and drier conditions. It has reportedly been observed that people having psoriasis have smoother skin during summers than during winters.
- Alcohol: There is a direct link between your drinking habits and your skin health. Drinking, in general, tends to cause harm to the overall body. Skin being no exception also gets affected adversely by alcohol consumption. If you have psoriasis, then you should immediately consult your dermatologist so that he/she can assign you a daily limit for your alcohol consumption in a manner that it does not worsen the condition of your skin.
- Stress: Stress has been known generally to affect the skin in an adverse manner. Stress can cause your body to have a greater incidence of inflammation on your skin which further affects your skin disease. Your doctor can help you out with the ways to manage your stress so that it does not cause any further damage to your skin.
- Cuts and bruises: If there are any kinds of breakouts or irregularities in your skin, then it would further worsen your psoriasis. Your cut skin may lead to a flare which is known as the Koebner phenomenon in medical terminology. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.
This is a simple yet effective remedy for dark circles. Take half a teaspoon of castor oil in a small cup. Place this cup in boiling water for 2 minutes so that the oil inside become slightly warm. Apply this oil around the eyes and massage lightly with your fingertips for 2 to 3 minutes. Do this at bedtime. Leave it on overnight and wash it the next day.
It gives great results if practiced regularly
Should You Oil Hair If You Got Dandruff?
You’re said to suffer from the problem of dandruff when the skin renewal cycle of your scalp accelerates all of a sudden. This brings about the development of patches of dead skin on your scalp surface and the resultant dry, skin flakes called dandruff.
The causes of this very common problem can be:
- Not shampooing your hair regularly can cause skin cells and oils to build up in the scalp leading to the outbreak of dandruff
- Having dry skin can also cause dandruff to develop, which are less oily and smaller in nature
- Even irritated oily skin, more commonly known as seborrheic dermatitis can cause you to suffer from these white skin flakes. The problem can be easily identified by its distinguishing yellow or white flakes over the red greasy skin surface.
- Sensitivity to certain hair care products and the presence of Malassezia (a type of fungus) are other causes that can lead to dandruff problems
How to keep dandruff problems at bay?
Having poor scalp hygiene as well as a lack of proper scalp conditioning can cause dandruff to occur. Thus, proper conditioning of your scalp is vital for fighting the flakes that form on your head. Oiling your hair is the most effective measure that you can take against this scalp problem. While the ideal time to do this is at night so that you can wash it off the next morning, one should also remember that hair oil shouldn’t be left on the hair for over 24 hours.
Additionally, dry scalp makes it very easy for dandruff to develop as the oil-secreting glands found in the scalp’s epidermal layers produce low or no natural oil. Application of oil helps in keeping the scalp nourished as well as enables glands to produce oil. But leaving it on for more than the recommended hours can intensify your dandruff problem and further accelerate the hair fall process.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!