Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Veterinarians in India. You will find Veterinarians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Veterinarians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatments For Birds
Neurosurgery In Dogs And Cats
Services For Birds
Treatment For Reptiles
Veterinary Dental Prophylaxis
Veterinary Surgery Soft Tissue
Submit a review for Dr. S R DeshpandeYour feedback matters!
I own a cat it may be 2-3 weeks to 1 mnth old. How to clean a cat using a waterless method. N what is the best balanced diet for the cat.
I have bought a 35 days old labrador puppy, can you please tell me what to feed him, I fed him cerelac but now he is having loose motion, also tell how to cure it.
Hi my male gsd has turned 1 this April and I want to nueter him also he has developed umbilical hernia, both the operations at same time now is it okay for my dogs health?
Hi, I have a six year old yellow labrador. Her underbelly is turning black and the discoloration has reached up to her neck. What could be the reason? also she has developed bad breath recently!
Hi Doctor, We had given all vaccination's to our myson ,who is 2+ , lebra but some time we had noticed that he don't eat and avoid eating any thing. Also we had noticed that he want to have sex but after talking to so many people we are unable to get any friend for him. Would like to kindly suggest in this regards.
My dog got bitten by another street dog, the other street dog inserted his teeth inside my dog. We have given him injection of rabbies and poison. Pls help me with medicines which can help me to get this wound faster.
My fish having small white dot on their body (ick) and one of my fish eye is getting cloudy day by day and they are dying one by one. And I added methylene blue in water to prevent ich. Please suggest me some medicine for them.
This is one of the easiest dog obedience commands to teach, so it’s a good one to start with.
- Hold a treat close to your dog’s nose.
- Move your hand up, allowing his head to follow the treat and causing his bottom to lower.
- Once he’s in sitting position, say “Sit,” give him the treat, and share affection.
Repeat this sequence a few times every day until your dog has it mastered. Then ask your dog to sit before mealtime, when leaving for walks, and during other situations where you’d like him calm and seated.
This command can help keep a dog out of trouble, bringing him back to you if you lose grip on the leash or accidentally leave the front door open.
- Put a leash and collar on your dog.
- Go down to his level and say, “Come,” while gently pulling on the leash.
- When he gets to you, reward him with affection and a treat.
Once he’s mastered it with the leash, remove it — and practice the command in a safe, enclosed area.
This can be one of the more difficult commands in dog obedience training. Why? Because the position is a submissive posture. You can help by keeping training positive and relaxed, particularly with fearful or anxious dogs.
- Find a particularly good smelling treat, and hold it in your closed fist.
- Hold your hand up to your dog’s snout. When he sniffs it, move your hand to the floor, so he follows.
- Then slide your hand along the ground in front of him to encourage his body to follow his head.
- Once he’s in the down position, say “Down,” give him the treat, and share affection.
Repeat it every day. If your dog tries to sit up or lunges toward your hand, say “No” and take your hand away. Don’t push him into a down position, and encourage every step your dog takes toward the right position. After all, he’s working hard to figure it out!
Before attempting this one, make sure your dog is an expert at the “Sit” command.
- First, ask your dog to “Sit.”
- Then open the palm of your hand in front of you, and say “Stay.”
- Take a few steps back. Reward him with a treat and affection if he stays.
- Gradually increase the number of steps you take before giving the treat.
- Always reward your pup for staying put — even if it’s just for a few seconds.
This is an exercise in self-control for your dog, so don’t be discouraged if it takes a while to master, particularly for puppies and high-energy dogs. After all, they want to be on the move and not just sitting there waiting.
5. Leave it
This can help keep your dog safe when his curiosity gets the better of him, like if he smells something intriguing but possibly dangerous on the ground! The goal is to teach your pup that he gets something even better for ignoring the other item.
- Place a treat in both hands.
- Show him one enclosed fist with the treat inside, and say, “Leave it.”
- Let him lick, sniff, mouth, paw, and bark to try to get it — and ignore the behaviors.
- Once he stops trying, give him the treat from the other hand.
- Repeat until your dog moves away from that first fist when you say, “Leave it.”
- Next, only give your dog the treat when he moves away from that first fist and also looks up at you.
Once your dog consistently moves away from the first treat and gives you eye contact when you say the command, you’re ready to take it up a notch. For this, use two different treats — one that’s just all right and one that’s a particularly good smelling and tasty favorite for your pup.
- Say “Leave it,” place the less attractive treat on the floor, and cover it with your hand.
- Wait until your dog ignores that treat and looks at you. Then remove that treat from the floor, give him the better treat and share affection immediately.
- Once he’s got it, place the less tasty treat on the floor… but don’t completely cover it with your hand. Instead hold it a little bit above the treat. Over time, gradually move your hand farther and farther away until your hand is about 6 inches above.
- Now he’s ready to practice with you standing up! Follow the same steps, but if he tries to snatch the less tasty treat, cover it with your foot.
Don’t rush the process. Remember, you’re asking a lot of your dog. If you take it up a notch and he’s really struggling, go back to the previous stage.
Just these five simple commands can help keep your dog safer and improve your communication with him. It’s well worth the investment of your time and effort. Remember, the process takes time, so only start a dog obedience training session if you’re in the right mindset to practice calm-assertive energy and patience.
Please Suggest something for my 2.5 months old german shepherd for a shiny coat. Its coat is dull and rough although I brush it regularly and feed him non veg and roti with curd. Please. Suggest some home made food not pedigree or market items if possible.
My dog sleeps outside and mosquitoes bite him, should I get him anything to prevent dog heartworm disease? what should I give him?
I have a pet female dachshund never mated. Now she has developed tumor around her nipples. Is surgery only option? The tumor is hard on feeling.
Hiii, is egg good for German Shepherd and my dog was not taking food properly even royal canine adult german shepherd food. Please suggest me best feed for it. Thank you.
Sir my dashound dog is 7 years old, eating well no toilet and urine problems, but its upper abdominal part is paining severely. Cannot touch at all. Walking slowly only. Always sleeping difficult to get up in back area. What is the problem and remedy. Kindly advise.
Hello. My pet is almost 11 years old. It is a bitch. Of german Shepherd breed. She have not done any mating yet. Also she is dwarf. She weights almost 20-25 kg. Perhaps. I am thinking to get her cross once. So will it be ok for her to do mating at this age. As it would be her's first time.
My dog she is 4 year n she is a cross breed of papmareian and street dog she often bites us imspite of being oowner is it normal? And she stays in period for nearly for more than two months and sometimes she get mergi attack where her mouth get stick and she get unconscious couldn't even walk properly
My kitten paw is bleeding. I took him to the vet she cleaned it and gave him injection but still he is not fine he has started limping.
I have 2 dogs mail and female I won't her baby dogs so please you suggest me how can abort in baby before cross suggest any medicine and vaccination.
I just intentionally stepped on my rabbit and it is breathing very fast from past 1 hour So sir can you please say me what to do now ?
Some tips to remember---
*bathe your pets once in 10 days.
*groom your pets daily.
*do not use dettol/phenolic compounds on their body. It can be allergic.
*don't allow ticks/fleas/mites to thrive on their body.
*for hairy breeds, go for a complete hair-cut in summers.
*for breeds with drooping ears, take special care about ear cleaning.
*never use human soaps & shampoos like dove/clinic plus on dogs body. It can cause allergic dermatitis.