Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Rheumatologists online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S.M.Akerkar
Submit a review for Dr. S.M.AkerkarYour feedback matters!
I am 44 years old man having problems with both knees due to excess wear & tear cartilage. The doctor I was consulting diagnosed OA & has prescribed Zycel 200 & ZyQ 200 - however, I am not getting any relief from pain. Instead these medications are making me extremely drowsy during day time. Kindly suggest best remedies to treat OA as well as faster & longer pain relief...
My mom is having rheumatoid arthritis positive, form more then 3 years, also done joint replacement. What is precaution and how to improve it. Continue of exercise, diet what will be best for her and how to be fit. Her age is 59 at present and in winter she really gets frustrated, we keep her warm but arthritis is such a problem, so what will be best for her and future. Remedies is very much needed. Thanks. Hope she will get her problem solved and have a steady health life. Due to above also give some exercise tips, diet food.
I have got Achilles Tendonitis (severe pain in my Achilles tendon at the back of left foot) due to car driving and using the clutch excessively, I have not had any injury. Could it be due to uric acid and a gout attack? I have had past history of uric acid? should I take Feburic along with Combiflam. I am 48 years old, weight is higher than normal Uric acid is on higher side -8.2 always. Used to take Feburic, stopped now.
I had spondilitis prob with 1, 2 vert cervix and rheumoitoid arthritis where spine fixes into skull have woen stiff collar for 3 mths done neck exercises what else should I do to acheive near normalcyalso have pain in joint of left upper arm to torso advise remedy for pain only when I reach across to right upper neck.
I am 60 years old male, for sometime experiencing pain in my right knee while climbing stairs (flat at 3rd floor). What should I do ?
I can't touch my foot with my hands without bending my knees. My back is very inflexible. Can you suggest me an easy way to get it right?
The knee joint is made up of several elements including the knee cap, meniscus, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and muscles. Damage to any part of the knee can cause chronic pain.
What can cause knee pain:
Fractures: These are caused by the breaking up of the kneecap due to falls or collisions.ACL Injuries: Caused due to the tearing of the anterior cruciate ligament (that connects the femur and the shinbone). Especially common in sportspersons such as footballers or basketball players.Meniscus tears: The meniscus or the rubber-like cartilage (that acts as a shock absorber) can be torn by sudden jerks or excess pressure.
Arthritis: The chief cause of lingering knee pain, arthritis itself can be of a number of types.
- Osteoarthritis, which is a result of deterioration of cartilages due to wear and tear
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, an inflammatory chronic disorder
- Septic Arthritis, causing pain, swelling and redness.
- Gout caused due to the development of uric acid crystals in the joints
How to deal with it:
- Exercise: Moderate to intense exercise is prescribed for one and all. This, of course, depends on one's overall health and age. If you are already suffering from joint pain, then you may want to go easy on the exercise with a focus on building muscle strength and foundation. If you are healthy, then some amount of daily exercise as a routine will keep those knees in prime working condition and well lubricated as well. Inactivity and a sedentary lifestyle can affect the knees very badly.
- Dealing with Load: Weight is a big one. Carrying around extra pounds and kilograms can be detrimental for your knees in the long run. Your knee is not equipped to handle the excessive weight. It already supports three to five times your weight when you get up and walk around or indulge in some mild jogging. One must be careful of those extra pounds to take the load off the knee and keep it from falling prey to damage.
- Do not Ignore: Warning signals such as chronic or acute knee pain should not be ignored. Remember to see a doctor or an orthopaedic specialist to find out if you have contracted an infection or if you may have suffered a fracture due to an injury.
The ligaments around the knee are strong. However, sometimes they can become injured. They may be stretched (sprained), or sometimes torn (ruptured). A ligament rupture can be partial (just some of the fibres that make up the ligament are torn) or complete (the ligament is torn through completely). The majority of knee ligament injuries are sprains and not tears and they tend to settle down quickly.
ACL injury and other ligament injuries can be caused by:
- Twisting your knee with the foot planted
- Getting hit on the knee
- Extending the knee too far
- Jumping and landing on a flexed knee
- Stopping suddenly when running
- Suddenly shifting weight from one leg to the other
These injuries are common in soccer players, football players, basketball players, skiers, gymnasts, and other athletes.
- Rest the knee.
- Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling.
- Compress your knee.
- Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.
- Wear a knee brace to stabilise the knee
- Practise stretching and strengthening exercises if they are recommended.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Y_GBnYm2-tnHKOSVjyKU9CJ0FLTkPu8q8i5tul8nLs/edit?ts=5ae18dcc#gid=0
For severe collateral ligament tears, you may need surgery to attach the ligament back to the bone if it was pulled away, or to the other part of the ligament if it was torn in the middle.
A meniscus tear is a common knee injury. The meniscus is a rubbery, C-shaped disc that cushions your knee. Each knee has two menisci (plural of meniscus)-one at the outer edge of the knee and one at the inner edge. The menisci keep your knee steady by balancing your weight across the knee. A torn meniscus can prevent your knee from working right.
A meniscus tear is usually caused by twisting or turning quickly, often with the foot planted while the knee is bent. Meniscus tears can occur when you lift something heavy or play sports. As you get older, your meniscus gets worn. This can make it tear more easily.
Treatment may include:
- Rest, ice, wrapping the knee with an elastic bandage, and propping up the leg on pillows.
- Physical therapy.
- Surgery to repair the meniscus.
- Surgery to remove part of the meniscus.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative disease that affects the various bone and joints health, leading to painful movement and thereby limiting the patient's mobility. Knees, hips, joints of hands and legs are affected.
Symptoms of OA
The symptoms revolve around the bones and joints including:
- Pain and stiffness of the joints
- Swelling of the joints
- Inability to form a clench
- Difficulty holding things
- Stooped posture
- Weakness of legs and hands
- Reduced height over time
Treatment options in allopathy are limited to nonsteroidal analgesics to control pain and in severe cases, surgical correction, in case of OA. However, homeopathy takes into account the triggering symptoms, the associated symptoms, and the status of the immune system before deciding on a treatment regimen.
With this holistic approach, homeopathy achieve the following:
- Reduce the pain, swelling and stiffness
- Slows the pace of further degeneration
- Improves mobility of the affected joint(s)
- Improves the body's overall immune system, thereby allow the body to promote healing on its own
- Homeopathic intervention in the early phases is particularly helpful, as it will arrest disease progression
- It also enable better absorption of minerals and nutrients essential for bone health. This allows healing of existing bone fractures and avoids further bone damage by strengthening the bones
- Homeopathic treatment also enables the body's chemical state to withstand stress and illnesses better
- It vitalizes the body's natural healing and ability to repair itself, to create a better state of health and well-being
Homeopathy For Osteoarthritis
Homeopathy is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine. The selection of remedy is based upon the theory of individualization and symptoms similarity by using holistic approach. This is the only way through which a state of complete health can be regained by removing all the sign and symptoms from which the patient is suffering. The aim of homeopathy is not only to treat osteoarthritis but to address its underlying cause and individual susceptibility. As far as therapeutic medication is concerned, several well-proved remedies are available for osteoarthritis which can be selected on the basis of cause, location, sensation, modalities and extension of the complaints. For individualized remedy selection and treatment, the patient should consult a qualified homeopathic doctor in person.