Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Speech Therapists in India. You will find Speech Therapists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Speech Therapists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rita Thar
Speech Therapy Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Treatment of Speech Impairment
Therapy Oral Language
Language Therapy Treatment
Language Stimulation Treatment
Treatment of Learning Dysfunction Disorders
Language Presa Treatment
Oral Motricity Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Rita TharYour feedback matters!
I have stammering problem since childhood and even couldn't pronounce some alphabets clearly. What should I do?
I have a problem regarding speech. I can not pronounce the letter 's' clearly. While speaking it sounds like f. For instance if I am saying some it sounds like 'fun' Please help me with this. One more thing I would like to inform you about is that I had a habit of sucking thumb till 6-7 years of age. Could the problem occur due to this habit?
My mom 67 years old, has breathlessness and weak voice, has gone to ent, but still no cure! doctor says left vocal cord is slightly blocked? even after drinking water she coughs! what do we do further? please advice
Blood got clotted in one of the nerve in brain My grand ma is unable to speak She is trying to speak but the tongue is not supporting and right leg and hand are expected just as paralysed including tongue Doctors have gone surgery through angiogram and passed a medicine through nerve which is clotted Any idea about this case and any other suggested treatments?
I am 21 years old male. I am having stammering problem. I believe it's more of a psychological problem. I have noticed whenever I am low on confidence or depressed I stutter. I want to overcome this problem as I'll be appearing for job interviews from next month. Please help.
My voice is not good at singing. How can we bring improvement in voice while singing .kindly suggest me some ways. I heard gargling with salty water regular makes voice good n clear. Also honey works to a greater extent. Thanks.
There are instances when a kid doesn’t show the usual signs of development compared to their peers. Most parents take it casually thinking that their child will catch up in due course only to find a larger problem associated with it. It is therefore extremely important to discuss speech and language related delays with a medical practitioner to find out whether a child is immature or has a genuine problem which requires medical help. A child can show different signs as per age:
Different age group:
- Within the first 12 months, a baby should be able to relate to his environment and make babbling and cooing sound. It is often observed that by month 9, a baby is capable of stringing sounds after seeing things. If a baby is intently watching objects, but is unable to make any sound, this may be an early symptom of speech or language related problem.
- Between the 12th and the 15th month, a baby should be capable of making a wide array of sounds including few commonly used words. Babies should also be able to take few basic instructions and oblige those.
- Between the age of 18th and 24th months, a baby becomes smart enough to pronounce anywhere in the range of 20 to 50 words. They also start combining words and make simple sentences. They should be capable of identifying common objects and remember their names.
- By the age of 3, a toddler should be smart enough to combine 4-5 words and form sentences. Kids of this age also become smart enough to take straightforward instructions and perform them comfortably. Any deviation on this should be immediately reported to the Doctor.
What are the warning signs?
If a child between the age of 1-2 is not able to do the following things:
- Fails to use gesture
- Use more gesture than vocalising by the age of 18 months
- Produce no voice by 18th-month
- Fails to perform simple instructions
A child between the age of 2-3 needs evaluation if:
- Capable of imitating words but isn’t spontaneous in vocalising
- Repeats certain words multiple times
- The tone of voice is unusual compared to his peers
Possible causes of speech and language delay:
- Problems with palate leading to oral impairments
- Short frenulum restricting sufficient tongue movement to produce speech
- Oral-motor problems leading to speech limitation
- Problems related to hearing
- Chronic infection of the ear leading to speech delay
What does the pathologist assess?
- What can the child speak?
- What can the child understand?
- Oral-motor status
- Clarity of speech
Post the above evaluation a pathologist directs a plan of action. Sometimes speech therapy sessions are recommended in order to improve kids’ skill. For a motor related problem, a doctor can state a plan of action and limit the expectation of parents. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Speech Therapist.