Find numerous Audiologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Audiologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Dear doctor, I have a problem with hearing. Every time I am asking for second time about what they said. Do I have hearing loss? Or is it a concentration problem?
Sir, I can not listen properly my hearing power is very low I cannot listen from short distance please help me tell me some clue so that I can resolve this.
Hearing is one of the five senses that you or anyone else relies on for communication and a whole host of other things. Among the five senses, touch, smell, taste, hearing and sight, it is often hearing, which is the most easily affected. You don't have to be a senior citizen to experience hearing loss as it is quite common among younger people as well. This problem is also getting widespread with each passing day.
Before coping with hearing loss, the first job is to detect it
If you have a hunch that you or any of your loved ones is suffering from hearing loss, it is important that you get it diagnosed. Some of the common symptoms of hearing loss will be:
- Hearing difficulties while talking to someone over the phone
- Straining to hear conversations with family members or friends in household situations
- People usually need to repeat what they talk to you with a louder voice
- You often hear complaints that you keep the TV too loud.
- In crowded situations, such as family gatherings or a restaurant, you have problems listening to people.
Although this condition tends to affect senior citizens, an increasing trend shows younger people i.e. people mostly in their 40 and 50s and even younger than that suffer from this condition.
How to deal with hearing loss?
Some of the options to deal with hearing loss are mentioned below.
- Once diagnosed with hearing problems, change your ways of communication: If you or your loved ones have been diagnosed with hearing problems, it is important that both adjust your ways to deal with the problem. Rather than getting angry at the other for not being able to communicate effectively, develop and strategize ways to make communication less problematic and erratic.
- Cochlear implants: This is a newer technology, which has gained popularity in the past decade or so. These are directly implanted into the inner ear and are designed to bypass the damaged areas of the ear and directly stimulate the auditory nerve. These have become very popular, although, are not a replacement of natural hearing. It is only prescribed for people who have severe hearing loss or are deaf.
- Hearing aids: Although selecting a hearing aid is difficult as the patient needs to be comfortable, once selected it is one of the best solutions for the hearing impaired. The functionality of these devices can be extended with the hearing assistive technology or HAT devices that can focus the audio waves depending on the situations and give a more tailored approach for every individual's needs.
My friend is in depression. Its affecting his studies as he feels that he is not having potential to do engineering but he is smart enough as I know. He enjoys dancing n listening 2 music but what he should do?
I've holl in tympanic membrane because of trauma . Doctor said that my homocysteine is high after seen my reports and tympanoplasty is the only option please suggest me what should I do?Please tell.
Hi. I have sub total eardrum perforation. The problem is that I can hear what is being said but I don't understand the same (i miss to hear or understand a word or two). Is it hearing loss or something else? please advise.
Daily I have to talk and listen to my clients at my office. I use my voice a lot. But at the end of the day I feel pain in my throat. I hydrate throughout the day. Pls tell me what to do to improve my voice box and not to pain. I don't want to take medicine. Visited Dr. many times but didn't see much improvement. Thanks.
My mother has difficulty in hearing. I want to buy her an hearing aid. But she also has a heart condition and has an implanted device in heart. Is it safe to go for hearing aid?
How much effect can Otitis Media with effusion can have on hearing? I can not hear high frequency sounds properly.
I talk very loudly though I don't feel so. It gives people feeling as if I am shouting or fighting. I have mild hearing loss. Is it related.
I have a hearing loss and already using hearing aid, the sound is good but not so clear, its like always high pitch and I feel that there is something blocking my eardrum, and every time I sway my head from left to right I hear a sound specially when i'm eating. Is there any medicine or anti biotic for me?
The signs of hearing loss can be subtle and emerge slowly, or early signs of hearing loss can be significant and come about suddenly. Either way, there are common indications and hearing impaired signs. You should suspect hearing loss if you experience any of the signs below.
You might have hearing loss if you.
Require frequent repetition.
Have difficulty following conversations involving more than 2 people.
Think that other people sound muffled or like they're mumbling.
Have difficulty hearing in noisy situations, like conferences, restaurants, malls, or crowded meeting rooms.
Have trouble hearing children and women.
Have your tv or radio turned up to a high volume.
Answer or respond inappropriately in conversations.
Have ringing in your ears.
Read lips or more intently watch people's faces when they speak with you.
Feel stressed out from straining to hear what others are saying.
Feel annoyed at other people because you can't hear or understand them.
Feel embarrassed to meet new people or from misunderstanding what others are saying.
Feel nervous about trying to hear and understand.
Withdraw from social situations that you once enjoyed because of difficulty hearing.
Have a family history of hearing loss.
Take medications that can harm the hearing system (ototoxic drugs).
Have diabetes, heart, circulation or thyroid problems.
Have been exposed to very loud sounds over a long period or single exposure to explosive noise.