Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Reshmi Lakhwan
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Reshmi LakhwanYour feedback matters!
Cleft lip and palate repair surgery is a surgical procedure, which is used to fix problems of the upper lip and palate. A cleft may be a small patch on the lip or a complete furrow that extends all the way to the lower part of the nose. A child usually has one or both of these conditions at birth. This is a serious birth defect and can only be corrected with specialized plastic surgery techniques.
Why it is needed?
Cleft lip and palate surgery is necessary to correct abnormal development of upper lip in a child and to restore a normal appearance and function. The surgery can improve the child's ability to speak, hear and eat. In most cases the surgery is done when the child is between nine months to 1 year old, so as to allow the palate to change along with the growth of the baby.
Steps to be taken before the procedure
A therapist needs to be consulted before the surgery, as the therapist would analyze the best way to feed the child before surgery. The child must gain weight and has to be healthy before the surgery is performed. The health provider may do some blood tests and carry out a complete physical examination of the child. About 10 days prior to the surgery, it is necessary to stop giving the child aspirin, ibuprofen, warfarin and any other drug that inhibits the clotting of blood.
- Risks from anesthesia include breathing problems, reaction to the medicine, bleeding and infections in some cases.
- Problems caused by the surgery itself may include abnormal growth of the bones in the middle of the face and abnormality in the connection between the mouth and the nose.
Post surgical care tips
The child will be kept in the hospital for 5 to 7 days after surgery and complete recovery may require up to 4 weeks. The following tips need to be followed for quicker recovery:
- The surgery wound must be kept clean by washing it with soap, water or any other cleaning liquid.
- The wound must be kept moist with ointment.
- It is advised to prevent the child from picking at the wound by using arm cuffs and splinters. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic-surgeon.
My skin colour especially face skin tanned due to sun effect, how do I get my own normal skin sir/madam? And I need some herbal home made remedy to get back my old color and to maintain it.
I am 63 years old and I am having skin problem for the past 6 years and my face becomes tarrred and becomes black due to sun exposure and irritation continues for a long time. My sleep is also disturbed. Please help.
Please suggest good non-comedogenic moisturizer and sunscreen for pigmented and uneven skin tone. I would also like to know which body skin lotion to use in summers.
I am suffering from skin problem. My skin on hand is shrinked and the leg skin gets crack. So please tell me what I can use to prevent this problem.
I am a brown complexion person. Is it possible to have fair look than previous without any side effect. you can suggest me home remedies but no side effect.
The skin is the most visible part of the human body, and acne is one of the most common skin problems. In addition to being a cosmetic issue, it also dampens a person’s image and confidence levels. The issue is more complicated given the age group it affects – teenagers and young adolescents who are always keen on looking their best.
During the pustular stage, there is a lot of itching, burning, and pain. As they dry and fall off, there are marks which sometimes take forever to disappear. Recent cosmetic advancements have successfully used the laser to get rid of these marks, almost completely.
Laser in Acne:
- Laser works in controlling acne in more than one way.
- During laser treatment session, a beam of light is applied on the acne-affected area. This helps in removing the acne scar without damaging the surrounding tissue. The beam of light is highly focused on only the scar tissue.
- The increased number of cells which are left behind after acne are killed by the laser beam, thereby lightening the skin and reducing the scars.
- The bacteria that are present in the acne are killed when a beam of the laser is applied. This reduces the number of bacteria present in it, thereby reducing the severity of acne.
- The laser beam also reduces excessive sebum production, thereby reducing the incidence of acne. Excessive sebum is directly related to the severity of acne.
- Laser is used in all kinds of acne – papules, pustules, whiteheads, blackheads, cysts, and nodules.
- While the exact treatment plan will be determined based on skin type and intensity of the scars, most treatment plans would include about 3 sessions.
What to expect:
- Set realistic expectations and understand possible risks and complications. A detailed discussion of going for laser session is essential with the doctor. Clarify if you are a good candidate for laser.
- Sunbathing, waxing, collagen injections are to be avoided for at least 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- Chemicals like deodorants and perfumes are to be avoided in the proposed area of laser
- Tell your doctor about any medications or supplements that you are on. While some may be stopped, others may need dose adjustments.
- Immediately after the laser session, the skin would appear red for about 4 to 8 hours.
- The skin might feel itchy and prickly and even be swollen mildly
- Apply cool packs or moist cloths to reduce this itching
- Use copious amounts of moisturiser at least twice daily
- Avoid makeup until the redness and itching have subsided.