Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rane
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. RaneYour feedback matters!
Smoking can cause irreparable damage to your mind and body. Chemicals in the tobacco travel to all parts of the body, leaving no area unaffected. According to available data, smoking causes 30% of all cancer deaths and about 80% deaths from emphysema and bronchitis. In addition to adversely affecting yourself, smoking also has a severe impact on your near and dear ones. According to WHO, about 600,000 people die every year from passive smoking. Out of the deaths that occur due to this, 1/3rd is that of children.
The Indian situation
While 85% of tobacco users worldwide consume it in the form of cigarettes, in India only 13% use it in that form. Additionally, 54% use it in the form of beedis. A study conducted on Indian smokers has revealed that an average of 8.2 cigarettes is smoked by an individual daily.
The study also revealed that the number of cigarettes smoked every year had grown to over 6 trillion. While 1 out of 10 adults dies from tobacco use worldwide, 5% of deaths in women and 20% of deaths in men in India are caused by cigarette and beedi smoking.
What happens when you smoke?
Cigarette smoke is made up of 4000 chemicals that are present either as tiny particles or gases and about 50 are known to lead to cancer, the toxin nicotine being one of them. In addition to nicotine, the chemicals that make up cigarette smoke also include tar and carbon monoxide. Prolonged exposure to these toxins can hamper your body's ability to filter air and clean the lungs. The smoke not only irritates the lungs but also causes excess production of mucus.
It also causes a paralysis of the tiny hair-like structures like cilia that line the airways and are responsible for removing dust and dirt from the organ. Paralysis of these hair-like structures also causes a buildup of mucus and toxic substances, leading to lung congestion. The extra mucus that is produced causes smokers to suffer from the very ubiquitous smoker's cough and chronic bronchitis.
It's also one of the many triggers of asthma, which brings about the narrowing and inflammation of the airways. Long-term exposure to tobacco smoke causes the destruction of the structure of the lung, walls of the airways as well as lung tissue. The result is a condition known as emphysema. Additionally, smoking also leads to cancer of the lung and over 80% lung cancer cases occur due to this habit. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.
Having a baby is nothing less than a dream come true, but it comes with its own share of problems for new mothers. A lot of women today are opting for a C-section, or a Cesarean surgery to deliver their babies. While it is safe for most, at times certain complications can arise as a result of the operation.
As if life for mothers wasn’t tough already, post Cesarean wound infection is another concern some new mothers have to face. It usually occurs due to a bacterial infection in the area where the incision was made during surgery. If you have recently had a C-section, look out for signs in the first couple of weeks such as fever (100.5ºF to 103ºF), wound sensitivity and pain in the lower abdomen area. Other symptoms include swelling at the incision point or in the legs, discharge from the wound, smelly vaginal discharges or blood clots and difficulty in passing urine. If you notice any of these signs, act fast and consult your gynaecologist at the earliest, to avoid complications from the infection.
Why does it happen?
There can be various reasons that an infection happens, just like on any other part of the body where a wound is exposed. Generally, it is more prevalent among obese or overweight women or those taking any form of steroids. Other causes include, an incision closed with staples or nylon sutures, in cases of an emergency C-section, or from an infection of the amniotic sac.
Types and Treatment
C-section wound infections are of two types that is Cellulitis or wound abscess and thrush.
- Cellulitis and wound abscesses are caused by bacteria and are treated with antibiotics. If you’re in the hospital, you will be given the antibiotics intravenously, but if not, they can be taken orally as well. In case of abscesses, the pus is first drained out and smeared with antiseptic before being covered with gauze, after which the wound will heal on its own.
- Thrush is caused by a fungal infection and is normally seen in women taking steroids or in those who have a weak immune system. Anti-fungal drugs are provided to combat the issue.
How can it be prevented?
Here are some things new moms can do to prevent the C-section wound from getting infected:
- Regular follow-up visits with your obstetrician
- Practising good hygiene and healing
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids
- Avoiding any strenuous exercises that may put pressure on the abdomen area and stitches
- Resting as much as possible
Remember, even if you do develop an infection, it can be treated if addressed in time. New mothers need to take extra care of themselves, as a healthy mom, makes a happy mom!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 27 years old female, I have swelling in my right leg ankle and foot from past 3 years exactly after my delivery, initially I thought it might go gradually but it never reduced. I went to many doctors did many blood tests and urine test all report says normal. Please suggest what should I do. Also I had eczema in my legs but now controlled with creams given by dermatologist and the doctor said this swelling is not related to eczema. Kindly help.
While you cannot cure breast diseases, family history and maturing, but there are some hazards or risks that you can control. Keeping in mind the fact that there is no certain approach to forestall breast cancer, there are things you can do that may bring down the hazard. Here are five approaches to ensure your breast's well-being:
- Watch your weight: Being overweight or hefty expands breast cancer chances. This is particularly true after menopause and for women who have put on weight as grown-ups. After menopause, the vast majority of your estrogen originates from fat tissue. Having more fat tissue can heighten your chances of getting breast cancer by raising the estrogen levels. Additionally, women who are overweight have a tendency to have more elevated amounts of insulin, than other hormones. Higher insulin levels have been associated with a few tumors, including breast cancer.
- Exercise routinely: Many reviews have found that exercise is the sign of having a healthy breast. Studies show that one to two hours of energetic walking each week, lessened a woman’s cancer risk by eighteen percent. Walking ten hours seven days decreased the hazard all the more.
- Constrain liquor: Women who have two to five mixed beverages every day have a higher danger of breast cancer than women who have just one drink a day or none . As much as three to six glasses of wine seven days have been found to somewhat increase breast cancer chances. It is not clear how or why liquor raises the hazard. In any case, constraining liquor is particularly essential for women who have other hazard variables for breast cancer, like, breast cancer running in their families.
- Restrain time spent sitting: Research has shown that sitting time, regardless of how much exercise you get when you are not sitting, increases the probability of growing cancer, particularly for women. Women who sit six hours or more a day outside of work have a ten percent more serious risk for breast cancer compared to the ladies who sit under three hours a day, and an increased hazard for other cancer types as well.
- Stay away from or confine hormone substitution treatment: Hormone Replacement Treatment (HRT) was utilized frequently in the past to control night sweats, hot flashes, and other troublesome manifestations of menopause. In any case, specialists now realize that postmenopausal ladies who take a blend of estrogen and progestin might probably create breast tumors or cancer. Breast cancer disease seems to come back within five years in the wake of ceasing the blend of hormones. Therefore, get a breast cancer test even if you feel a small lump. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
Cold is one of the most common diseases in the world. It is a communicable disease, mainly occurring during seasonal change, even though it is not chronic in nature. And homeopathy has the most effective medicines which treat common cold without the side effects.
Read on to know which are those:
- Natrum mur: This medicine is effective for a runny nose, with initially clear snot thickening after a period of 24-48 hours.
- Gelsemium: Gelsemium is advisable for the known symptoms of common cold such as headache, fever, fatigue, drowsiness, shivers, etc.
- Eupatorium perf: This medicine is effective in case of recurring thirst, sore muscles and bones, and immense headache that get worse on any kind of movement.
- Arsenicum iod: If you are experiencing continuous sneezing with burning sensation and a nasal discharge, this is the medicine you should take.
- Aconite: This homeopathic medicine is recommended when the most preliminary signs of common cold appear, such as getting thirsty frequently and being overly-anxious.
- Belladonna: Belladonna is for more severe signs of cold, such as high fever and persistence of a throbbing headache.
- Ferrum phos: This medicine is also given at the preliminary stage, when the onset is slow, with mild fever, which gets worse especially with the approach of night.
- Pulsatilla: When you have a nose with dense discharge and blocked ears, remember that these symptoms may worsen at night. This is the medicine best suited to your cold in such a situation.
- Nux vomica: Nux vomica is effective for constant sensation of chill, with warmth not felt even in the comfort of the bed. It is also effective for headaches, blocked nose, body-aches, and nausea as results of the cold. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.