Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Rajesh N ShahYour feedback matters!
3 crucial things a newborn needs the most
Newborns primarily need your love, care, and attention. If you aren't sure whether you're on the right track with your little one, read on to find out the 3 most important things that your newborn needs:
1. Skin-to-skin contact: one of the best ways to speed up the bonding process with your newborn is by having as much as possible skin-to-skin contact with your child. This is important as the newborn connects through smell and touch during this time. The senses of your baby are naturally tuned to react to the feel of your bare skin and your distinctive smell.
Many studies also suggest that close physical contact can help in reducing stress in your newborn so as to allow its biological drive to come through and easily latch onto your breast to feed itself. In other words, it ensures a higher chance of getting the newborn started on breast milk in case your child is not taking to your breasts easily.
2. To be breastfed: the best food for your baby is milk that is produced by you. Breast milk offers a host of benefits that go beyond basic nourishment. According to research conducted by the national institute of environmental health sciences, a child faces 20% lower chances of dying between the ages of 28 days and 1 year if he or she is breastfed.
Protecting your child from illnesses such as childhood cancers or type 1 and type 2 diabetes, allergies, and obesity are some of the very important benefits that mother's milk can provide.
3. Swaddling your baby right: wrapping a blanket snugly around the body of your newborn can help calm your little one and promote sleep. Several studies reveal that this technique of swaddling (which is done to resemble the mother's womb) if done correctly can bring about longer and better sleep for your child as well as reduce instances of crying. It also ensures your baby stays warm and comfortable.
Epilepsy is a form of chronic disorder and it is characterized by recurrent seizures. The episodes of epileptic seizures may differ from person to person. These seizures could be a result of genetic disorder or a result of trauma or stroke. During a seizure, a patient may also experience symptoms of neurological disorders and sometimes lose consciousness.
Medical help for epilepsy
Epilepsy itself cannot be cured using medication, but proper medicines help in eliminating recurrent seizures. These medicines stabilize the electrical activity within the brain preventing seizures.
How effective is the medication for epilepsy?
The success of controlling seizures using medicines depends on the type and severity of the epilepsy. Medicines for epilepsy are usually very effective and may fully keep seizures under control. However, controlling seizures caused due to brain problems may be more difficult. Usually, epilepsy medicines can control seizures for a long period of time when they are taken regularly.
When is medical help needed?
The decision about when to start medicines for epilepsy is a tricky one. This is because a first seizure cannot confirm whether a person has an on-going epilepsy problem. A second seizure may occur after many years or may not happen at all. Prediction of seizures is also quite difficult.
The severity of seizures also indicates when to start medicines for treatment. In case a first seizure is quite severe, medication should be started at once. Some people have very mild seizures even though they may be recurring in nature, and medication can be avoided in this situation.
All the pros and cons must be thought over before starting medications for the treatment of epilepsy. It is advisable to wait for a second seizure and then start medications for treatment. In most cases, medication is started after a second seizure occurs, twelve months within the first seizure. You should always consult a doctor to know when you need to start taking medicines to treat the condition.
For making the most out of the medicines to control seizures, you should follow certain steps:
- You must take medications exactly as your doctor has prescribed.
- Before switching to generic versions of your medicines or before taking other prescribed medicines, you must consult your doctor.
- You should never stop taking the medicines.
- In case you experience enhanced depression, mood swings and suicidal thoughts, you should talk to your doctor immediately.
- In case you have migraine, you should let your doctor know so that he can prescribe you anti-epileptic medicines, which also prevent migraines.
Medicines cannot treat the underlying cause of epilepsy, but these help in controlling seizures and this is the most common symptom of epilepsy. Medication should be started at a proper time and must be continued without stopping.
My baby girl is 8 months old as I checked with other that I can give oats to my baby. Some said not to give. Let me know it is good or bad for baby's health.
Why it's important that your child's diet is calcium-rich
Calcium is an inevitable part of your child's diet. You cannot afford to skip it if you wish to maintain a healthy lifestyle for your child. It is recommended that children between the ages of 9 and 18 should get approximately 1300 milligrams of calcium every day. Calcium-rich diet is important for your child for a number of reasons.
- calcium helps in building strong bones and teeth for your child.
- it is important in order to ensure proper functioning of your child's muscles and nerves.
- calcium plays a vital role in the release of such hormones and enzymes in your child's body that convert the food he eats into energy.
- it is also helpful in causing the blood to clot whenever your child gets bruised.
- since your child is continuously growing, a calcium-rich diet ensures an adequate supply of resources that help him to develop new bones that are healthy and strong.
- a calcium-rich diet is also essential as far as other bodily functions like muscle contraction, blood vessel constriction and relaxation are concerned.
What does lack of a calcium do to your child's body?
- lack of calcium can cause bone diseases like osteoporosis in your girl child, thus exposing her to a greater risk of weakened bones and possibility of fractures.
- if your child is a young kid and his diet lacks calcium or vitamin d, which absorbs calcium, he is exposed to the threats of the bone-softening disease called rickets. It can cause in him bowing of the legs, muscle pain and poor growth.
- bones are living tissues that change constantly, old bones keep getting replaced by newer ones and a calcium-rich diet aids this procedure. Therefore without an adequate supply of calcium, this process would borrow minerals from existing bones, thus weakening them and exposing them to increased risks of fracture.
- lack of calcium also increases risks of cardiovascular diseases, damaged gums, high blood pressure, ovarian and breast cancer and several other infirmities in your child in his later years.