Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rahul Patil
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Rahul PatilYour feedback matters!
Hi Doctor, Male. Age is 39 years and weight is 75 kg. As per my regular checkup My blood pressure, sugar is normal. But I have high cholesterol, which is 360. From last few months I am suffering from few problems. 1. Very Frequently feel asleep during the day time and office hours. Also feels drowsy. 2. Snores a lot while sleeping, at times my breathing gets stop for few seconds while in sleep. After few seconds when suddenly the breathing starts, it give a sudden jerk to my entire body. Kindly advise me as soon as possible. Thanks and regards
Pilonidal Sinus refers to the small channel in your skin. When the channel is filled with pus or fluid, it leads to the formation of cysts or an abscess. A pilonidal cyst usually occurs at the top of the buttock crease near the tailbone, and consists of dirt, debris, and hair. When the cyst becomes infected or inflamed, it causes severe pain and discomfort.
Pilonidal sinus mostly affects men in their puberty. This condition is usually seen among people who sit for longer periods. For instance- truck/cab drivers, or desk-job workers, etc.
What causes Pilonidal sinus?
Pilonidal sinuses are most often caused due to the following factors-
- Dense Hair on back
- Hormonal changes during puberty
- Friction from wearing tight clothes
- Prolonged sitting
These factors prompt the hair growing in the region to burrow back beneath your skin. Your body considers the retracted hair as a foreign particle and launches an immune response. The cyst forms due to this response.
In certain cases, the patient may develop multiple sinuses which connect under the skin.
Identifying the early signs of Pilonidal sinus-
The first noticeable sign of Pilonidal sinus disease may be a small dimple near the tailbone. The symptoms become more prominent and troublesome once the channel gets infected or develops cysts/abscess. People with infectious sinus encounter the following symptoms-
- Swelling of the sinus
- Low-grade fever
- Pain while standing or sitting
- Redness or soreness around the affected area
- Discharge of pus or blood
- Foul odor
- Hair sticking out of the lesion
- Formation of multiple holes/sinus tracts in the skin
Risk factors associated with Pilonidal sinus-
There are a few factors that increase your chances of developing pilonidal cysts. The common risk factors are-
- Inactive lifestyle
- Excess hair on the body
- People in their twenties
Surgical treatment for Pilonidal Sinus-
Diagnosis of Pilonidal sinus does not require a lab test. The doctor will clinically diagnose the condition before recommending the treatment method. Although Pilonidal sinus usually goes away on its own, you will need to undergo a surgery if the cysts are infected. There are few common techniques of Pilonidal sinus surgery:
- Simple drainage of pus: needs painful daily dressings for months, has high recurrence rate.
- Excision of Sinus and Keep the wound open to let it heal slowly with cumbersome daily dressings, has more than 40% recurrence rate. Still popular mode.
- Excision of Sinus and closure with Limberg’s Flap, no wound, recurrence rate low. Popular.
- Excision of Sinus and closure with special Flap Advancement Technique, no wound, Patient can go home next day. No recurrence so far in author’s( Dr Prafull Arya) long series. So the results are long-term.
Pilonidal sinuses are nonthreatening but bothersome chronic infective disease. One needs to maintain good hygiene and an active lifestyle to avoid getting affected by it.
Once you have it, you need to meet an experienced surgeon specialising in pilonidal sinus surgery.
I get cold very easily as weather changes and there is continues flow from nose. Is this symptoms of allergy?
Sinusitis refers to an extremely painful condition caused due to the inflammation and swelling of sinuses. A host of causes contribute to sinusitis, chief among them being allergies, air pollution or sometimes infection (learn more About Acute Respiratory Infections). It causes extreme discomfort, throbbing headache, sore throat and a blocked nose. Though different branches of medicines have tried in their own ways of dealing with this problem, ayurveda with its reliance on natural products as remedial measures have emerged as a clear favorite.
Some of the ayurvedic remedies for sinusitis are:
- Inhalation of steam with tulsi: The benefits of tulsi are widespread and need little introduction. The ambit of its advantages is expansive, making its presence felt even in treating sinusitis. In case of severe bouts of sinusitis, it is highly recommended that you inhale steam with tulsi almost every day in the week.
- Have ginger along with honey: Another way of treating acute pangs of sinusitis is by making a paste of ginger and honey. Make small tablets of this mixture and for most effective results it is advisable that you have it every day.
- Avoid certain food: Just how incorporating certain food in the diet help in reducing the pain of sinusitis, eliminating few, often times help you to achieve the same purpose. When you suffer from sinusitis, it is only advisable that you diligently avoid dairy products like milk, yoghurt as well as intoxicants like cigarettes (know about the impacts of smoking on your organs) and alcohol.
- Lemon juice and water: In the initial stages of sinusitis, having a daily concoction of lemon juice and water is considered very beneficial. During this phase maintaining a light diet is advisable.
- Practice pranayama: The gamut of ayurvedic remedies includes not only the prescription of what to eat and what to avoid but also several exercises that help in expediting the process of recovery. Among them, pranayama with its focus on control and regulation of breath is particularly beneficial in curing sinusitis.