Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Purvi MehtaYour feedback matters!
I have mild heaviness in my upper jaw and around te eyes and temples which come and go, my wisdom teeth are erupting for last 2 years but they dont srem to grow, consulted a dentist who suggested to extract all four of them. But is it safe to do so. The heaviness an mild pain occur when I wake up in the morning and come and go during the day, which hampers my concentration.
I have pain in one of my teeth but after 3-4 days it will be okay but it occur again at least once in a month. Facing this problem for last one year. What should I do, I wanna rid of that Problem: gum swelling & pain in just one teeth.
I have so many Red and white patches on my Tongue which may be occurred due to vigorous cleaning of Tongue from Toothbrush 2 months ago. But these patches are causing wounds now. And also I do not feel comfortable in eating spicy and salty. I am also lacking Taste in food. Please help.
I am 20 year old boy when I drink cold water so feeling pain in the roots of the teeth jaw. please suggest me.
I had an angioplasty in mid jan'16 and am on blood thinners. Can I take antibiotics for my teeth/gums problems. I am 68 years of age.
I have a pain and a clicking sound when open my mouth. The sound is coming from ma jaws like when I open my mouth and close it there is a sound nd sometimes it pains too what should I do.
I am 44 year old.I am living in Hubli city.I want to implant molar tooths can you suggest me good doctors in Hubli and what is the cost?
I am feeling teeth pain since two days back. Blood is coming from between two molar teeth. Taken cefradox (antibiotic).
Hi I am 24 year old girl I am experiencing aa weird situation, 4 teeth are growing in back of my gums and it is really painful what should I do please suggest.
My mother has lost taste in the mouth. She is 75. My father died last June. She is longing to have food but is not able to taste much. She is a diabetic on tablets and not insulin. Sugar levels are not in the manageable range since she has to eat sweetish things sometimes to get taste.
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.