Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Preethi
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. PreethiYour feedback matters!
Polycystic Ovarian Disease results from the disorder more commonly known as PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. A syndrome is starkly different from a disease, for the former entails a set of symptoms usually occurring in concurrence, while the latter means a particular biological condition with an identifiable reason behind it. A syndrome solicits your concern and forethought in order to eliminate or at least control the chances of an underlying disease. Trigger to a syndrome is undetectable and hence fighting it efficiently is fairly problematic. It is rare to find adolescent girls without hormonal problems.
Hormonal imbalances are just too common to be a novel topic any further. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is faced due to imbalances in hormone secretions. It refers to the development of multiple cysts in your ovary. This condition usually affects women falling within the age group of 15 to 50. Eight among ten women, at a given point of time, are reported with PCOS. Symptoms of PCOS, when neglected, can lead to Polycystic Ovarian Disease. If you have been facing similar heath issues, it is advisable to undergo a check- up and get diagnosed at the earliest possible.
Symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Disease
- A receding hairline or increased hair fall can lead to thinning of scalp hair. Such a sign should not be taken lightly as it could be indicative of Polycystic Ovarian Disease.
- Extremely painful menstruation, irregular periods or prolonged periods with heavy bleeding might be reason enough for worrying.
- Development of acne could be another sign. Acne is common to girls attaining puberty but an unprecedented growth should be a matter of concern.
- Patchy skin, pigmentation and discoloration of the skin are the other symptoms.
- PCOS may also result in continual depression and anxiety.
- Obesity is the most commonly noticed symptom. People suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Disease have lower metabolism and thus reducing weight is an ordeal.
- Many women tend to grow thick facial hair or chest hair. Such a condition discourages the person to go out in public. It leads to social ostracizing which further bears severe effects on one's mental health.
- PCOS mostly affects women belonging to the childbearing age. As a result of this syndrome, females stop ovulating. Conception becomes extremely difficult as the syndrome may lead to infertility.
Polycystic Ovarian Disease can result in Type 2 diabetes or even cardiovascular problems. If not diagnosed and treated at an early stage, it might lead to ovarian cancer. There is hardly any preventive measure to counter the chances of such a syndrome but certain alterations in your diet under the guidance of a dietician and regular exercising can improve your health.
I feel a small ball kind of thing in my right breast. I first noticed it an year ago. I ignored it at that time but its still there of the same size. Please let me know if there could be something serious?
Me and my girlfriend had sex on first day of her mensuration during which my condom broke twice, her bleeding lasted for 7 days her normal periods last for 8 days of bleeding Can she get pregnant? We again had sex 2 days after her bleeding stopped, during the same my condom broke in middle of the intercourse, so she took IDOZ 72 in 3 hours of the incident Will she get pregnant?
Being healthy and happy is a state of mind. Yet, it is also a choice that we make consciously or subconsciously. The way we choose to live and how we respond by matter of habit or choice, to the various life events and situations thrown at us, pretty much decides how our hormones, blood pressure and other factors behave in the long run. Anxiety and general unhappiness have been found to share a deep link with the quality of one's health. So let us look at the common mistakes we make, backed by science, which may be keeping us from health and happiness.
- Avoiding Connections: What really happens when we do not cultivate relationships with people whom we can laugh and cry with? You end up bottling things up inside and do not get an outsider perspective that can help you take things in a lighter vein or from a different, often more justified perspective.
- Endorphins: Also, when you do not have someone you can laugh with, especially during stressful times, you end up supressing hormones like the endorphins which are known to be natural pain relievers too!
- Sitting All Day: If your job or lifestyle involves the sedentary act of remaining seated, you are first of all, asking for neck and shoulder pain in the long run. That besides, you are also losing your fast paced metabolism due to the lack of activity and this can also fuel the build up of toxins which may lead to chronic and potentially fatal diseases in the future.
- Victim of your Own Thoughts: Over exposure to too many ideas can never be a good thing. In this day and age of social media and instant access, we never seem to be short of opinions, no matter how irrelevant. When we start to find our own truth in someone else's reality, we end up playing the victim card in our relationships due to these misplaced opinions. This leads to problems like helplessness which can become anxiety and paranoia in the long run.
- Food: Too much junk or too many fad diets can ruin the chemical balance and good health of your being. Binge eating or emotional eating due to anxiety, boredom and ready availability of food can also give rise to eating disorders and weight gain which in turn, can lead to problems like diabetes, high cholesterol and other such problems.
Exercising, eating right and taking time to breathe and listen to people around you will help in fostering a better lifestyle with more human connections. This is especially important for people living in nuclear families with stressful jobs.
To combat the chances of achy joints, inflammation, arthritis and other bone-related problems later, include these superfoods to your diet and make bones healthy right now.
1) The Milk: Calcium intake is foremeost for strong bones, and the best source of calcium is obviusly milk. Milk also contains nutrients like potassium, magnesium, riboflavin, phosphorus, and vitamins D and B12 which are equally important for healthy bones. Adults can try drinking two glasses of milk daily. Children and teenagers must try having more.
2) Cheese: Cheese is a storehouse of calcium, as well as vitamins D, A, B12, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, riboflavin and protein. All these nutrients are desired for stronger bones. Also, cheese is an excellent source of calcium for people who are lactose intolerant. Any kind of cheese - cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, goat, Parmesan and your favourite cottage cheese or paneer consumed daily may go in a long way to keep you bone strong.
3) Curd: Curd or yogurt again is a rich source of calcium, vitamins D, A and B12, potassium, magnesium, riboflavin, phosphorus and protein. While milk might not suit everybody, curd, being fermented product, is easily digested too. A bowl of curd each day must be a part of your daily intake.
4) Tofu: Tofu is soy-based food that contains high amount of calcium and plant-based chemicals called isoflavones, which promote bone health. Tofu is also a safe bet for people who are lactose intolerant or avoid dairy products.
5) Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are ideal for bone strength. They contain important nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins K and D. It can be regularly had along with flax seeds to increase the nutrient intake.
6) Spinach: Spinach is not only commonly available but also the richest in calcium content. It is a good souce of vitamin K, fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium and vitamins A and C – which makes it a complete health package. You can combine it with the following vegetables for additional fortification cabbage, kale, broccoli to enhance your bone health.
Click on Consult Privately to ask me a private question on this topic or a related one.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones.