Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pratap D. Desai
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Pratap D. DesaiYour feedback matters!
Chocolate biscuits, chocolate cup cakes are very favourite to me. Can I eat them in my pregnancy? Not eating daily.
Causes of recurrent pregnancy loss
- Major cases of pregnancy loss occur due to genetic abnormalities and chromosomal abnormalities. The abnormality may occur from the sperm, egg or the early developed embryo.
- Recurrent pregnancy loss may occur in a woman due to ascending maternal age. This happens because of poor quality of the egg, which further leads to chromosomal abnormalities. In some cases, the pregnant mother or the father can have some gene irregularities. In such cases, the would-be-born infant is affected, and this causes pregnancy loss or miscarriage.
- Uterus abnormalities also lead to recurrent pregnancy loss. This may happen because of poor supply of blood to the uterus. Abnormalities in the uterus are in-born in some women and in others these may develop over time.
- Women having a poor immune system are likely to suffer pregnancy loss. Abnormalities in hormone secretion like thyroid or diabetes may also cause pregnancy loss in women.
- If a woman suffers from abnormalities in blood clotting, the chances of miscarriage are enhanced.
Testing for recurrent pregnancy loss
Several tests and examinations should be carried out for detection of pregnancy loss.
- Karyotype analysis of the woman and her male partner has to be conducted. Karyotype refers to the genetic or chromosomal constituents of an individual and this test is carried out to detect abnormalities in genes and chromosomes of the parents, which cause miscarriage when passed on to the developing infant.
- Another test includes the evaluation of the uterus and the uterine cavity. This is done by ultrasound, saline ultrasound, MRI, hysterosalpingogram X –ray or by hysteroscopy. These tests help to get information on the uterus shape, about fibroid presence, detect abnormalities within the uterus and observe the opening and closing of the tubes. Tests to detect the functioning of hormones are also carried out.
The treatment for women with recurrent pregnancy loss depends upon the underlying causes of the pregnancy loss.
- In case of patients with karyotypic abnormalities, genetic counselling is recommended, where a specialist is consulted to know about chromosomal abnormalities.
- Prenatal genetic studies are carried out by some couples to know about the offspring’s genetic make-up. This is done with chorionic villus sampling or with amniocentesis. A process known as in vitro fertilization (IVF) can be carried out.
- In case of uterine abnormalities, a surgery may be performed and medications for reducing blood clot are used if antiphospolipid syndrome is detected.
Recurrent pregnancy loss may happen due to various reasons and proper tests, and treatment procedures should be carried out for curing pregnancy loss. This phenomenon affects a woman and her partner deeply. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
I am 23 years old having a pcos and with the help of follicular study I got to know I am ovulated on Feb 9.We are in intercourse two days before ovulation and two after ovulation. I missed my period and facing lower abdomen pain and back pain. Today morning I did home pregnancy test and got faint positive line what does it mean. Am I pregnant? I am worried.
My period is expected on 24 feb and last time it was held on 26 jan sot it may occur on 24, feb because my periods always occurs 2 day before than earlier one. We were naked on 17 feb and for convenience I washed my vagina with soap after 20 mins. We were together on 21st day of my menstrual cycle so in this case weather I could get pregnant or not! Please reply fast its a emergency and please give detail information about this I will be thank full to you. Read less.
Oh, it is that time of the month again! There are a lot of women (and men who deal with the women) who would have repeatedly said this when they are experiencing the premenstrual syndrome. Most women (and men!) get used to it and know how to deal with it. As the adage goes, this too shall pass!
The female body and mind are controlled by a whole lot of female hormones which affect her health. During the premenstrual phase, when there is a surge in the hormone levels, there are a set of symptoms which any woman dreads. These include increased mood swings, irritability, abdominal cramps, migraines, breast tenderness, food binging, and back pain to name a few. About 80% of the woman experience these, so it is common, yet easily manageable. Some of the best ways to deal with the PMS are listed below.
- Stay active: Moving in any way to keep the body in motion and energy flowing is the key to managing PMS. Whether aerobic exercise, dancing, jogging, swimming, or walking, whatever works for you, go ahead and take your pick. Getting at least 30 minutes of physical activity can help get rid of the anxiety and manage stress.
- Deep breathing: This is not just a way to give your body more oxygen and therefore energy, it also helps manage the abdominal bloating that is commonly seen during PMS. Deep breaths help in releasing the held up air, which causes the belly to soften.
- Quit smoking: Smoking women are twice as likely to experience PMS symptoms as nonsmokers. Period. Reason enough to quit smoking??!!
- Soak in the sun: The sun not just gives vitamin D, it also relieves PMS by soothing the effect of the hormones.
- Get creative: The reproductive organs are the ‘creators’ in you, so when the hormone levels are higher, your creative energies are higher too. Check out for yourself and you will find that you will be extra-good at drawing, singing, writing and painting during these days. They also take your mind off the stress and symptoms of PMS and make you feel good.
- Yoga: Yoga does wonders for PMS symptoms, and staying upside down works wonders for the woman’s body.
- Healthy diet: Eat clean, green foods during your cycles. Whole grains, leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, legumes and nuts should find their way into your plates. Reduce the whites – sugar, salt, white rice, and even dairy if possible. Drink loads of water and keep above-average hydration levels.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine: They may boost your feeling temporarily, but do a lot of harm, so avoid them.
So, while PMS is not rare, there are simple effective ways to manage it too. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I get stomach ache on my 1st day of periods which is seriously unbearable! I've already consulted gynaecologist but was of no use! What do I do now?
Dear Sir, my wife is suffering from hypothyroidism TSH range is 100+, kindly suggest home remedies. We married four years before. She lost 2 pregnancies. 1st after 3 months, 2nd was Ectopic pregnancy. Recently we have no baby. Kindly tell us role of hypothyroidism in infertility. Give some suggestions for pregnancy.
First, I was suffering from pcos just 3 months before I lost my fairness. What can I do to bring back my fairness.
Hi. I had sex with my girlfriend after her period. Nxt day. She took unwanted 72 tablet after 10 hours of intercourse. And nxt day also we had sex intercourse without protection. And I wanted to know there is any chances of pregnancy. After taking that tablet. And I intercourse nxt day also. So I wanted to know. She will be pregnant.
1) Watermelon - Watermelons have more water than pulp and are easily available. Not only will this relax you but also hydrates you at the end of a very tiring day.
2) Cucumber - With less than 20 calories in a cup of cucumbers, this hydrating food is ideal to carry with lunch boxes to work, or eat at home. They cool and hydrate you at the same time. The seeds are also known to be high in nutrients and health benefits.
3) Tomatoes - Tomatoes and their health benefits are widely known. They cool your stomach and hydrate you. Tomatoes are also good for diabetes and cardio-vascular problems, and are a rich source of many nutrients like dietary fiber, vitamins ? C, A, E, K and B6, potassium and many more.
4) Lemon - Lemon is a super food. Mixed with water, in different temperatures, it helps in weight loss to combating dehydration. Mixed in water with a pinch of salt and a spoonful of sugar, the lemon water mixture is known to cool, energise and hydrate the body.
5) Curd - This is a staple in most Indian homes. Store bought or homemade, it is good to eat a small bowl full of curd every day. A delicious coolant, you can spice it up any way you wish to - by adding fruits to it, or by adding masalas or by eating it straight with just a tiny pinch of salt.
6) Coconut water - Easily available on road sides, coconut water is your ideal drink on the go. While you can surely have it at home, it is highly recommended for students and professionals who are out in the sun, during the day. An immediate energizer, coconut water can be your savior from heat spells.
7) Melons - Just like watermelons, melons and muskmelons too have high water content. The fruit is said to have 90 percent water apart from the nutrients.
8) Buttermilk - Easy to make and easily available in the market, buttermilk can be customized as per individual taste. It is light in the tummy, cools and dehydrates the system.
9) Mint - An inexpensive herb, mint has amazing cooling qualities. Churn it into chutney or just drop a few leaves into your bottle of drinking water, these leaves will keep your insides cool and mind fresh with their mild fragrance.
10) Onions - Red onions in particular are known to have very high water content. Include them in your meals or have them raw, how you eat is up to you.
If you have any further questions, click on consult privately to ask me.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over WhatsApp, Facebook and other media.