Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Pranay R. Shah
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Pranay R. ShahYour feedback matters!
It’s a general concept even in layman that for pregnancy one needs to have regular and timely menstrual periods.But in certain patients periods may not come regularly ever since menarche.Besides they may have history of weight gain,acne, excessive hairs on skin of face, may need to go for threading more often than required and may have cousins, sisters or evn mother having same issues.Such symptoms and signs point towards –
- PCOS – as the first most diagnosis
- Hormonal imbalance- FSH,LH ratio change with high LH levels
- Insulin resistance
- May have add on Thryoid/prolactin derrangements
These patients generally have high body mass Index(BMI)but some fall into category of lean with periods regular.
What all these lead to is a situation called-Chronic anovulation- a common cause of infertility.
Most of such PCOS patients have normal FSH but high LH levels.Its a multifactorial condition with life long implications
What we can do about it ?
Yes we can do major part especially if weight is more then Lifestyle modifications alone will help to keep things on track but it needs constant action in a well planned manner.So tips to keep a check on PCOS-
- Weight loss- at rate of 5-10% over a period of 5-6 months.If you have 80 kg then you should loose between 4 to max 8 kg only slowly with crash courses/diets or short cuts
- Daily brisk walking at least for 30 minutes to burn extra calories
- Moderate exercise on regular basis
- Joining a structured programme like Gym
- Take healthy balanced food(if possible with help of dietitician)
- Cut down carbohydrates like banana,rice,rice products with a check on milk and milk products and less of fats
- Keep proper hydration(3-4 LITRES of water daily)
- Avoid junk foods with empty calories
Dear readers all these need to be followed as part of life and not till you have pregnancy as PCOS has more of chronic affects also later on due to tendency to gain weight due to hormonal disturbances
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is diagnosed in
approximately 60–70%of women with such features.
How to plan pregnancy in PCOS?
Singleton live birth rates of up to 71% in 2 years can be
achieved in such patients with –
1) Induction of ovulation- it can be by clomiphene citrate as first line of treatment and Injectables gonadotropins as second-line
treatment with success rate varies from 2 to 3%
2)IUI- combined induction with IUI increases success rate from 8 -13% to 15-20%
3) IVF- not used as first-line therapy in these
patients, except for subgroups with a poor prognosis like-
- Advanced age group
- Longer duration of infertility
- Higher insulin:glucose ratio
- Failed ovulation induction
- Other indications of IVF-tubal factor,male factor,unexplained/idiopathic infertility
Outcome of IVF In PCOS-
The outcome of IVF in women with PCOS shows variable outcome as-
Response to Medicines is the main issue- erratic(resistant to hyper) which is generally unpredictable
- More oocytes obtained-with more of immature
- Less fertilization rate- both mature and immature oocytes
PCOS patients show reduced fertilization rates, presumably due to endogenous hormonal imbalance
- More chances to have poor quality eggs
- Chances of abnormal(aneuploidy)embryos is high
- Inc chances to form endometrial polyp with recurrence
- Inc chances of cancellation of cycle/use of high dose of medicines
- High chances of first trimester miscarriage
- But good part is despite reduced overall fertilization, IVF pregnancy rates in PCOS patients appeared to be comparable to normo-ovulatory women
- Also live birth rates are comparable
I missed my period on this 10th May, did my pregnancy test on 13th may, it was showing negative. But I had pregnancy symptoms. 14th and 15th may. I realised there was a brown patches discharge for 2 days then the 3rd day heavy bleeding like a period days. What does it mean? Was I pregnant?
In order to prevent HIV infection and AIDS immunocompromised, you need to have a good explanation and prophylactic referral information. Therefore, it is very important advice and explanation about AIDS. Although AIDS has been known for almost 30 years, the population is still large gaps on the subject, especially in relation to knowledge and the risks of HIV transmission. Relationships with adults infected with HIV is transmitted through blood, semen, and vaginal secretions . However, infection with the spread of airborne pathogens is not possible, as in the case of cold diseases.Therefore, the risk of infection by treatment with AIDS or infected with HIV is very low: Social contact in both work and personal lives, as handshakes, hugs and the like, is completely harmless. The same goes to say for the common use of cutlery, crockery, glasses, toilets or towels, also harmless. There is no evidence of increased risk of infection for people who share the same home or the patient environment. However, some precautions should always be taken into account, for example, do not share the toothbrush or razor, because in the case of injury to perform these functions there may be a small risk of infection. Intimate relationships hide itself a risk of infection, regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual. The fundamental basis for reliable protection against HIV infection and AIDS remains the consistent use of condoms, that is, the safer sex . Safe sex: condoms protectThe basic rules for having a sex safe are blood, semen or vaginal secretions must not reach wounds or open areas of skin or mucosa of sexual partner. Therefore, it is important to use condoms , both anal and vaginal . No condoms, the risk of infection is high, since during intercourse always small lesions can occur. In the case of oral sex is important to prevent both sperm and vaginal secretions come in contact with the oral mucosa, lips or tongue of the couple. If these precautions are taken into account, they can keep sex without any problems. Add that kissing is also harmless. The condom is a widely used method of contraception among young people today. In a 2010 survey singles between 16 and 44 years, only one in ten said physical strength to use condoms; in 1989, the ratio was one in five respondents. This greater acceptance brings added one more advantage is that more and more people are protected and protect others from infection with HIV and other STDs. In 2009, seven out of ten respondents from a group between 16 and 20 years said carrying condoms. Among sexually active people, this increases even eight out of ten. More important than having the intention of having a practice safe sex is really using condoms. Between 2004 and 2009 amounted proportion (61 to 70%) of sexually active people (between 16 and 20 years) who always or very often used condoms. But also in the new relations plays an important role on safe sex : in 2010, 85% of men and 89% of women used condoms at the beginning of a new relationship.
Add pistachios or roasted channa to your diet. Make them your evening munchies, as they help you lower risk of heart disease help you gain weight.