Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
I have a eyesight problem I am not able to see anything without my spikes I would have to do to improve my eyesight.
Dr, am a 61 year old retired professional, was in a Thermal power plant for about 35 years. I have no problem of Dandruff but my eyes do itch for about 3 to 7 days, when I take Alcohol, which is once in a month or 2 months, but I take it at a stretch for 3 to 4 days, without eating properly. I don" t have any chronic illness, just Blood pressure which is controlled-taking Nicardia retard 10 mg Aten 25 in the morning, and one Nicardia, after dinner. Am not an Alcoholic nor like it, just give company to friends. Can you please suggest something, to put in my eyes, if and when it itches--any Drops or Medicine, whatever.
In past 2 days I hav severe eye pain and I wear spec instead of that I can not tolerate my pain what should I do?
I am 78 years old. I take amlodac 5 mg in the morning. I had cataract surgery yesterday and my BP is coming down. It's is 155/95. Is there nothing to worry or can I take another tablet now?
My eyesight is getting weak what to do to avoid specs. How to regain if this is starting only. please help?
Few days ago my eyes are paining and there is secretion of water. But now I am fit and fine. I want to know the reason behind this?
While studying my eyes irritate me a lot because water droplets are coming from my eyes what should I do ?
The cornea is a highly organized and advanced tissue present in the eye. It is one of the few tissues in the body that doesn't contain any blood vessels. It nourishes itself from the aqueous humor (or tears). The cornea has three different layers with two membranes embedded in it. Every membrane has its own set of functions.
Here is a list of 10 important facts about the cornea and corneal diseases:
- The cornea plays a pivotal role in helping the eye to focus on the light rays that enter it. Approximately 70 percent of the focusing power comes from the cornea. The cornea, along with the lens, is responsible for reflection and refraction in the eye.
- The epithelium is the outermost layer of the cornea. It restricts the entry of foreign particles into the eye and absorbs oxygen. This membrane is followed by the Bowman's membrane. The third layer is known as the stroma. It is responsible for the eye's elasticity and strength. The fourth layer is called the Descemet's membrane. This is a protective layer that safeguards the eye from any injury. The last layer is known as the endothelium. The primary task of this layer is to pump excess fluid into the other layers of the eye.
- Tears play a key role for an eye to function properly. Tears have three layers, namely lipid, aqueous and mucin. It helps the eye to heal any possible wounds and infection.
- The cornea, for the most part, heals by itself. Deeper injuries of the cornea can result in vision loss. Some of the common symptoms of corneal diseases are light sensitivity, pain in the eye, redness and reduced vision.
- The most common of eye allergies are caused due to pollen. This often happens when the weather is dry or warm. Some common symptoms include burning sensation, redness, tearing and stinging.
- The eye encounters a condition called 'dry eye' wherein the quantity of tears reduces, thereby creating a problem for lubrication. An ophthalmologist should be immediately consulted if this condition is encountered.
- Corneal dystrophy is a condition that clouds the cornea. It is a gradual progression and often affects both the eyes. It is usually inherited and can affect healthy individuals as well.
- Keratoconus is an eye condition that thins the cornea over a period of time. It is mostly prevalent among young adults. This condition results in changing the shape of the cornea and development of an outward bulge.
- Shingles is a recurrence of the viral infection caused by the Vatic El - La Zoster Virus. This virus has the capability to remain dormant inside the eye. It can become active after many years of dormancy and affect the cornea by travelling through the optic nerve. Doctors mostly prescribe an oral antiviral treatment to avoid inflammation.
- Some advanced treatment for corneal diseases includes corneal transplant surgery, anterior lamellar keratoplasty and endothelial lamellar keratoplasty