Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Nipa ThakkurYour feedback matters!
I am 19 years old and my eyes very weak I can't see any distance thing clearly so give me the better suggestion.
Hi Doctor, my brother pointed a remote control right into my eyes while pressing it. It is infrared based. I couldn't see the light (though you can see it in the phone's camera). Can it damage my eyes?
I am 49 years suffering from bleeding while going for latrine/toilet. Some inner part also comes out which I have to press by my fingers every time. Feeling very tired giddiness eyesight problem and very weakness. Kindly help me.
I have a real job in which I use computer 12 hours regularly so I want to trick for safe my eyes please suggested me!
I have red eyes from over 3 days and its paining a lot I had consult a doctor but of no use what should I do.
I have red eyes over 5 days and blood pressure low, I am diabetes patient so you have solutions for me.
I have allergy in my eyes, my eyes become red colour, I took medicine and I got relief, but after the medicine over the problem restarted. What should I do for getting a permanent relief from this problem?
When I start studying at night then my head along with my eyes pains a lot. What should I do to cure this?
She is suffering with eye problem, and some time she is with highly headache on only middle side. She doesn't see all thing clear without glass. She doesn't wear glass always. please give in me information about control on it.
My age is 36 years old and not married. I am using minoxidil 5% for last 8 months. Earlier it showed significant effect and hair fall stopped and saw few hair growth, but for last 2 months, suddenly more hair fall and hair fall even from roots now. Not seeing any positive effect. So what I should do? Should I stop this minoxidil 5% permanently? Because I do not want to loss more hairs. My middle scalp is showing as bald. Please suggest. If any good solution apart from this, without any single medicines with full head of hair permanently. Please suggest.
My eyes are watering continuously since last 10 years. I have taken treatments many times from various eye hospitals and Doctors but it couldn't stop. What should I do?
I have alergy in my eyes from few days. Sometimes it also become red. And even I am unable to read small letters written in classroom. What should I do?
Macular Degeneration is an age-related macular degeneration incurable eye disease, which might result in blurred vision or no vision in the centre of the vision field, which might lead to visual distortions, reduced central vision, decreased intensity of the colours and can make it difficult for the patient to recognize faces, read, drive and to perform other activities.
Types of Macular Degeneration
1. Dry Macular Degeneration: It is characterized by the presence of drusen and thinning of macula because of a breakdown or thinning of the layer of retinal pigment epithelial cells in the macula.
2. Wet macular degeneration: In this type of AMD, there is an excessive growth of blood vessels, which causes bleeding, leakage, as well as scaring under the retina, which results in a rapid and severe loss of the central vision and might become permanent if not treated.
Causes of Age-related Macular Degeneration:
This is caused due to a problem related to the part of eye known as Macula, which is a spot at the centre of the retina of the eye. The focus point of the incoming ray of light is on Macula, which is responsible for see the things direct in front of us, especially reading and writing.
- Age: As the age increases, the probability of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration also increases significantly. The degree of the macular degeneration might vary person to person, but ageing is a major cause of suffering from age-related macular degeneration.
- Smoking: Smoking increases the chances of developing the disease in comparison to someone who does not smoke. The longer you have smoked, the more are the chances of developing it.
- Family History: The risk of developing the Age-related Macular Degeneration increases if it runs in your family, i.e. if your parents and siblings are suffering from it, then your chances of developing it are quite high as compared to the ones who do not have any family history.
- Obesity: The obese people have the higher chances of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration.
- Alcohol: Higher alcohol consumption also puts you at the risk of AMD, which is why one should always take alcohol in limited quantity only.
- Sunlight: As going out in sunlight without sunscreen is harmful to your skin, the same is harmful to your eyes for longer duration, and one should always wear UV-absorbing sunglasses to protect his eyes from AMD.
- Ethnicity: The white and Chinese are more prone to developing AMD as compared to the black people.
- Cardiovascular disease: The persons who have suffered diseases that affect the heart and other blood vessel are at higher risk of macular degeneration.
Treatment of Age-related Macular Degeneration
1. Anti-VEGF Drugs: The dry macular degeneration cannot be cured while the wet macular degeneration can be stabilized and maintained with a number of medical treatments to be injected into the eye, such as Lucentis, Avastin and Eylea. These are not long procedures and continued monitoring of the vision to maintain or improve the vision.
2. Laser photocoagulation: It consists of a concentrated beam of high energy thermal light that is directed towards the retina to obliterate and seal leaking blood vessels. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.