Find numerous Rheumatologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Rheumatologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Neena Singh ChitnisYour feedback matters!
I have arthritis since 6 years. All my joints have swelling and pains a lot. I have tried steroids injections but it resulted in 'pus' Is there any other option except steroids? Recently I had done blood test and x-ray. According to my blood reports: RA : 66.0 Vitamin D3 : 13.8 ng/ml X-ray report: (both knee) 1. Bony out growth seen in upper end of both. 2. Tibia and lower end of both femur and patella.
An attack of gout occurs when excess uric acid is deposited in a joint and forms crystals. The joint treats these crystals as foreign invaders. To fight the invaders, the joint sounds out signals that it needs help. The body makes more white blood cells, which are delivered to the joint through the blood stream. These white cells release chemicals that cause inflammation, swelling and pain.
Uric acid results when purines, a group of chemicals present in all body tissues and many foods, are broken down. It has no useful function in the human body.
Normally, uric acid is excreted in the urine. This keeps blood levels low. But some men have inherited a metabolic glitch that allows too much uric acid to build up in the blood. Ninety percent of the time the build-up occurs because the kidneys don’t excrete enough uric acid. But sometimes the body just produces too much of the pesky chemical.
As the most common type of inflammatory arthritis, gout is often overlooked as a serious disease. In fact, 7 in 10 adults don’t know that gout is a form of arthritis. Gout is associated with other serious conditions such as obesity, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and blood lipid issues, which are dangerous and can potentially become life-threatening. Gout is an extremely painful disease, yet just one in five think of gout as a “serious” condition.
While gout can affect a number of joints, it most commonly affects the big toe. Consumption of alcoholic beverages – particularly beer – has been linked to gout flares. While people who don’t drink beer can still get gout, studies have shown that those who do drink beer are more likely to suffer from attacks.
There are a number of factors that can contribute to gout attacks, including high uric acid levels greater than 6 mg/dL and consumption of alcohol. Taking steps like getting your uric acid levels checked regularly and avoiding trigger foods and drinks, like red meat and alcohol, can help to reduce future attacks.
Certain foods – including shellfish, like lobster – have been linked to an increase in gout flares. As part of a low-purine diet, patients are encouraged to include more foods such as low-fat or non-fat dairy products, fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, nuts and grains. Keeping the body well hydrated, helps your kidneys excrete the excess Uric acid secreted.
While allopathic medicine only prescribes pain killers it does not get down to the root cause.
Homeopathy works well here. It gets to the root cause and helps you bounce back to good health. A thorough case taking by a homeopath is necessary to arrive at the right remedy. Some of the remedies that work for gout are
Urtica urens, Aurum muriaticum natronatum, Solidago, Coccus cacti, Acidum flouricum, Actaea spicata,China officinalis, Caullophyllum, Bryonia alba, Benzoicum acidum, Kalium iodatum.Kali bromicum, Rhus tox
Rheumatoid arthritis is allopathic terminology used for disease. According to ayurveda, it comes under vatvyadhi among all vatvyadhi, you can compare it with amavata and vatrakta it depends upon person to person symptoms. According to ayurveda, when a person comes to you first give langhana that is fasting so that amapachana is done i.e. for toxin removal then give dipan pachan drugs like guduchi amalaki mustha. Its kashay gives good resultm then in panchakrama, vaitarana basti plays an important role. It removes avarodha in the Channel.
Sarvanga with saindhvadi tail is useful in medicines. You can take tablet - Rhumalya forte tablet, sinhanada guggul tablet, punarnava guggul syrup, rasna saptak kashay also plays an important role, for the local application you can use vishagarbha tail to avoid potato bringal toor dal, chana dal, thus by this way ayurveda helps in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
Inflammation of this space leads to painful, swollen joints that can also turn red and become stiff over a period of time. The joint surfaces can gradually progresses to produce deformities (the swan-neck deformity of the hand for instance) and disability.
Because it is an autoimmune disorder, the exact etiology is not known but lifestyle, stress, cold weather are supposedly predisposing factors. That being the case, it is not surprising that Ayurveda has a variety of options, both in terms of do's and don't's to manage rheumatoid arthritis - both the severity of symptoms and further progression of the disease.
Do's: A well-planned diet will help by supporting optimal functioning of the immune system and nourish the affected joints.
- People diagnosed with RA should follow a diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables. Drumsticks, bitter gourd, carrot, papaya, green leafy vegetables, cabbage, etc., reduce inflammation and hyperactivity of the immune system. The antioxidant properties in these neutralize the free radicals circulating in the body (responsible for increasing inflammation). This helps control the longstanding inflammation of the joints
- It is also advisable to eat them as whole fruits and not as juices. The fiber in the whole fruits helps digestion
- Sprinkle pepper powder over cooling food items like cucumber and radish
- Include garlic which is an excellent remedy for RA, can be mixed with buttermilk
- Whole grains such as wheat, brown rice, millet, barley are beneficial for RA, their high fiber content helps in proper digestion and promotes regular bowel movements
- Honey mixed with water
- Drink boiled milk to which dry ginger powder is added; this can replace tea and coffee
- Milk mixed with turmeric powder is also helpful in controlling inflammation
- Work at reducing weight
Don'ts: In addition to adding the above to your diet, there are some things to avoid, which can worsen symptoms of inflammation.
- Avoid overall unhealthy and irregular diet habits which affects the immune system and aggravates symptoms
- Avoid sleeping during daytime and staying awake at nights
- Avoid deep fried foods and fermented food items
- Given its autoimmune nature, it is better to avoid regular allergy-inducing foods like dairy products, soy, peanuts, processed foods, artificial additives, etc. These could trigger an enhanced allergic reaction.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco
- Avoid tea and coffee and other caffeinated drinks
With simple daily food habit and lifestyle changes, the severity of RA can be managed effectively. Along with do's and don'ts, follow ayurvedic treatment with proper ayurvedic physician. It will give much relief. RA is treated in Ayurveda very nicely but you require patience and dos pathya regularly.
With the help of Panchakarma, ayurveda breaks the pathology of rheumatoid arthritis. With the help of medicines, we remove the toxins. And helps to treat the patient. Some drugs like mahavatvidvans ras. Vatgajankush ras mahrasnadi kadha. Helps to treat rheumatoid arthritis. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
My wife has been suffering from severe pains fingers of both hands and wrists and in the feet. Mornings she suffers from stiffness in the fingers and hands. She has been using pain killers by consulting orthopedists. Is this rheumatoid arthritis.
I am 40 years old I have back pain and knee pain and over weight please get one medicine for me please help me.?
I am 20 years old and I am feeling knee pain bcoz of zuma classes. Taking physio therapy but not working.
Hello I am 30 years old and my knee pains very much whenever I sit on poty I have tried so many treatments but nothing happens so many ayurvedic then also Pls tell me something.
Hello Doctor Jab se ye winters shuu hui h mere panv ki nas bahut jyada chadhne lag gayi h.raat ko sote sote need me hi achank se dard shuru ho jata h or kuch Der rub krne pe sahi hoti h. Some times when I change my posture it starts to pain. Before this winter I felt it once or twice in whole winters. Bt now days this has become frequently. Doc pls tell me what is this n what kind of precautions I should take care of? N what kind of food I must have?
I am suffering back pain since 23 days. I have also psoriatic arthritis and I take some medicine like ostocalcium, sazz ds, Folic acid vitamin D supplement, zplanel plane. What should I do please tell me.
Leg area feels numb knee level down! I was given injection for tetanus and neurobion forte after which doc referred me to the neuro physicist who prescribed renerve, neurobion n liv52 on 10th feb n told to consult after 15 days. I can only feel little sensation when I pinch there. Should I be worried? He told that it was due to some nerve damage.
I am 27 years old male. I recently met with road accident. I got my wrist injured and had undergone surgery. An implant has been placed in my left wrist. It has become only 2 weeks since the surgery. I had also an instability feel on my right knee. On examining in MRI scan, a complete midsubstance tear of ACL has been discovered. I got 3 incidents of knee buckling after the accident. Now I am unable to walk normally (slight limping) and feel pain when I bend my knee to touch cuff muscle with inner thigh. I know surgery is the only option for ACL reconstruction. Is it very very urgent to go for surgery now and can I wear a hinged brace (noova knee brace) to do daily activities. Can I take the surgery after 4 months.
I am 65 years female. I am suffering from knee pain in both knees. Even steroid injection has not totally removed pain.
Hello doctor my sister is suffering from arthritis on her right knee, from past few years she cant walk properly. Is there any remedy for this problem, after getting operated will she walk normally. Please suggest me in a right direction so that this problem get it solved. Thank you.
I am a 27 year old male I have met an accident in which it was a grade 3b severely committed fracture of right limb, floating knee injury. Common peroneal nerve is in reinnervation and 80 degree movement in the knee. Secondary arthritis is developing now and a constant pain is there. What should I do?
In my left knee sometimes I fill pain and can't able to run and sometimes there is no pain. What should I have to do?
Doctor I hv got a injury in my left knee. And im so frustrated from it from 2 months. I m on only bed rest and ihv got a plaster too if you want any M. R. I. Report so I can send you.
Arthritis is an agonising and degenerative condition caused by swelling and inflammation of the joints that causes pain and stiffness. Whether it is dull, sharp, smouldering or a pressure that must be described as having a hammer crushing one of your joints, chronic arthritis pain and joint inflammation is a very common disease among many adults.
Here are a few generic tips to help the condition of arthritis:
- General and regular exercising: Specialists prescribe the use of a workout plan that guarantees certain activities and exercise routine. The point of the regular exercising routine is to guarantee mobility and flexibility of the joints and enhance the scope of movement for patients. In the meantime, working out helps in enhancing the quality of the joints and allows better strength and support for the body. Along these lines, they help in diminishing both weight and strain on the joints.
- Weight control and healthy diet: Patients with arthritis will suffer more on account of weight gain. To keep away from an excess of weight and pressure on the joints as an after effects of weight gain, stay away from putting on weight. Eat healthier foods that comprise of more minerals and vitamins while giving less fat and calories to the body. Increasing vegetables and organic products in the eating regimen is great for arthritis pain. The leafy vegetables contain anti-oxidants. They also have anti-inflammatory effects on the joints and bones.
- Hot and cool treatment: Simple and basic hot and cold treatments can improve things greatly with regards to arthritis pain. Long, warm baths or showers particularly in the morning ease solidness and stiffness in your joints. Use an electric cover or warming cushion around evening time to keep your joints free and use moist warming cushions. Cool treatments are best to relieve arthritis pain. Wrap a gel ice pack or a sack of frozen vegetables in a towel and apply it to the painful joints for fast alleviation and relief from the pain and swelling.
- Inflammatory and anti-inflammatory foods: Arthritis and joint pain can increase if patients continue using nourishments that have high inflammatory impacts. However, some might not have a thought of what the foods are or what they give to the body. One needs to abstain from eating fast and junk food and processed food products. Turmeric, the most basic Indian spice, has a chemical in it called curcumin that might have the capacity to diminish arthritis pain.
- Plan carefully: It is hard to tell when a flare-up may happen, making your joints turn out to be hard and swollen, or when you will try too hard while working out. Since you cannot anticipate these occasions, it is a smart thought to be prepared beforehand and get ready for issues before they emerge with medication and your emergency numbers in place. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist.