Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Narendra MehtaYour feedback matters!
I am 35 years old, married, for the last one week there is blood coming out with my stools when I go to toilet, even previously I used to get this problem but after 2 to 3 days it used to stop. Is there any problem please advice and if yes to which type of doctor I should go to.
My father aged 74 have chronic IBS all test like LFT/colonoscopy is normal. Have pl advise some medicine to taken at night for clear motion and in disturbed sleep due to abdomen bloating.
There is burning sensation in my chest. While I get up morning. Can anyone suggest me how to get relief from?
I' m feeling stomach pain and vomiting and not digest food even small quantities of water feeling pain in stomach. What medicine to take
The human digestive system is a very complicated and sizeable component of the body. It starts right at the beginning of the mouth, ending at the rectum. Some of the major responsibilities of the digestive system include absorption of essential nutrients and elimination of wastes.
Not only do digestive problems have embarrassing and unwanted symptoms, serious, chronic diseases can be caused if the minor problems are not treated.
Some digestive problems are listed below:
- GERD: This is a burning sensation that results from acids in the stomach being squirted into the oesophagus. A burning sensation is felt, right from the chest to the end of the throat. Frequent heartburns can lead to GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), symptoms of which include dry cough, sore throat, chest discomfort and difficulty in swallowing.
- Bloating: This is caused due to the presence of excess gas in the colon, small intestines or the stomach.
- Dyspepsia: This is an uncomfortable feeling or pain which occurs in the upper abdominal regions, mostly a result of excess food intake. It is commonly referred to as indigestion. Dyspepsia can be discomforting and if prolonged, medical assistance should be opted for.
- Chronic Constipation: Persistent constipation (chronic) is a sign that there is a problem with the elimination of wastes. This usually happens when the colon is unable to move or pass stools. Other major causes of chronic constipation can be changes in your usual diet, various eating disorders, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and excessive consumption of dairy products among others.
- Food Intolerance: This occurs when the digestive system is unable to tolerate certain food items. This condition is different from food allergies as it only affects the digestive system. Some of the common symptoms include diarrhoea, headache, gas and vomiting.
Possible Serious Conditions-
A gastroenterologist is a type of doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases involving the digestive system. If you continue to experience digestion problems, it’s time to make an appointment.
More serious signs could mean an emergency medical problem. Those signs include:
- bloody stools
- continuous vomiting
- severe abdominal cramps
- sudden, unintentional weight loss
These symptoms could be an indication of an infection, gallstones, hepatitis, internal bleeding, or cancer.
You may be able to overcome digestion problems with treatment and lifestyle changes. Certain diseases of the digestive system might be long-term, but medications can help alleviate symptoms.
Identifying specific digestion problems and talking with a gastroenterologist can go a long way in terms of helping your doctor give you a proper diagnosis. Remember, you don’t have to put up with constant digestive issues.