Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Namita Pandey
Submit a review for Dr. Namita PandeyYour feedback matters!
We exactly do not know what causes Cancer & but there are various organizations that are working hard to continuously review and assess the body of evidence on diet, physical activity and cancer.
The 2007 report by WCRF/AICR International state 10 point recommendation for prevention of Cancer.
AICR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CANCER PREVENTION:
1. Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
2. Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
3. Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods (particularly processed foods high in sugar, or low in fiber, or high in fat).
4. Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes, such as beans.
5. Limit consumption of red meats, such as beef, pork and lamb, and avoid processed meats.
6. If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
7. Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
8. Don’t use supplements to protect against cancer. Special Population Recommendations
9. It’s best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for six months and then add other liquids and foods.
10. After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the recommendations for cancer prevention. And always remember – do not smoke or chew tobacco
RULE OF THUMB FOR PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Use these tips to make more walking part of your day:
• Start parking at the perimeter of the lot or two blocks away if you’re using street parking, instead of trying to get as close as possible to your destination.
• If you take public transportation, get off the train or bus when you are a stop away.
• Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you’re heading for the 20th floor, walk up a few flights and then catch the elevator.
• Recruit a partner for after-lunch walks.
• Go for a 30-minute walk every day, or two 15-minute walks: one each morning and one each evening. These changes may mean you have to leave the house 15 or 20 minutes earlier.
Here are a few FAQs on Cervical Cancer that most people often want to know about.
Q1 What is Cervical Cancer?
A: Cervical Cancer is the cancer of the cervix, which is the lower part of the uterus that opens into the vagina.
Q2 What causes Cervical Cancer?
A: Cervical Cancer is caused by a virus known as human papillomavirus, or HPV. Women can get affected with the virus by having sex with someone who has it. HPV is very common and usually goes away in time. Usually, it leads to genital warts and sometimes shows no symptoms at all. Sometimes it leads to cervical cancer.
Q3 What are the early symptoms of cervical cancer?
A: The early symptoms of cervical cancer are:
Pain during sex
A sudden change in the menstrual cycle
Abnormal vaginal discharge
Vaginal bleeding between your menstrual cycle, after having sex or after menopause.
Q4 What are the preventive measures for cervical cancer?
A: Cervical cancer can be prevented by taking a vaccine against HPV. Regular PAP tests are also recommended for catching the cancer early on.
Q5 At what age should the HPV vaccine be taken for it to be effective?
A: The recommended age for boys and girls to take the HPV vaccine is 11-12 years. Women can have the vaccine before the age of 26 years.
Q6 Is the HPV vaccine safe?
A: Most of these vaccines are safe and come highly recommended. Many studies have been conducted to find otherwise but the fact remains that the vaccines are one sure shot way of reducing the chances of getting HPV. However, it is important to take any of these vaccinations under strict medical practitioner’s guidance.
Which is the best mouth wash available in India, I heard some mouth washes which contain alcohol leads to oral cancer, Presently I'm using listerine.
My friend is suffering from cancer, Recently diagnosis heart problem i.e irregular heart beet & High Triglyceride. Have any suggestion? If any relation between cancer treatment & heart attack.
She found yesterday some lumps or bumps like substance inside her breasts. And also she was suffering from breast pain (right breast). We are afraid if it is breast tumor. Please give suggestions what to do now. How to cure it?
Sir kya diabetes valo ko blood cancer pancreas cancer uterus cancer ka risk bad jata in cancers se prevention ke liya vyakti ko kya karna chahia mere uncle ko diabetes hai.
There is a lump below right breast of my mother. Though it is not paining but we want to know why is it so? Doctors said it is a level 1 lymph nodes which is a sign of cancer. We are confused. Please tell us which hospital should we go to and to which doctor should we consult? Please tell us.
I have pain in my left breast there is no lump can you tell me how to differentiate between heart problem or breast cancer and their symptoms.
Cancer is the scourge of modern era with increasing cases being reported by a significant percentage of the population with the passage of time. With the ever increasing incidences, the number of patients being treated with chemotherapy is also on the rise. This treatment however, does come with its own disadvantages and although it may be effective in curing cancer, its side effects may render a patient incapable of leading a normal life for the duration of the treatment.
What exactly is Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a process by which cancer cells in the body are destroyed with the use of chemical drugs. Although it is an effective form of treatment, it has many side effects as it can affect good cells as well. This is one of the main reasons hair cells may die out temporarily and a person undergoing chemotherapy may lose hair.
Sex and chemotherapy
Although sessions of chemotherapy can damage a person's libido it may be possible to have sex keeping certain precautions in mind. Here are certain possibilities and problems associated with sex while undergoing chemotherapy.
1. It is possible to have sex while undergoing chemotherapy, if the concerned doctor says that it won't harm the patient in any way.
2. If your doctor says you can have sex then you are in the clear, but it is very important to gauge the situation yourself along with your doctor and go ahead only if chemotherapy is successful.
1. The main problem is that the patient may not have the energy or the desire to have sex as chemotherapy can be taxing on the body. However, if you want to and the doctor says it won't cause problems, you can go ahead with it.
2. Usually doctors ask patients to abstain from sex if the cancer being treated is within the genitalia. Friction during sex may cause issues within the organs and only, if proper healing has occurred should the patients consider sex.
3. Certain types of chemotherapy may change the lining of the vaginal walls and thus make them more prone to injury during vaginal sex and thus should be abstained from. Also with chemotherapy, the white blood cell count tends to be reduced within the body and this may leave it vulnerable to bacterial infections which may come from the partner during sex.
Moreover, It is advisable not to conceive while receiving chemotherapy, whether the cancer is with the man and most definitely when it is with the woman. Chemotherapy may cause acute imbalances within the body and may seriously affect the development of the baby and especially the mother, if she has cancer. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.