Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Submit a review for Dr. N S VahiaYour feedback matters!
I have three brothers in which one of my brother is suffering from disability and at present I am studying but I always depressed that if I couldn't be a good man than what will happen?
I have been getting pressure in head for months and it is daily and constant now. I have tried all sorts! Chiropractor, eye tests, medication. I have just had CT scan and don't think it'll show anything serious up! Please can anyone help. Don't think it's anxiety or stress, not sinusitis. God knows but it's getting me down and I am desperate!
It's been a year I daily feel tired and depressed. I have wild mood swings. My friends and family always keep telling me that my mood swings would 1 day ruin the relationships and I need to control them. I did lose a lot of people last year just because of my crazy behaviour. I started self harming in October. I cut, scratch and dig fingernails into my skin. I have lost complete interest in daily activities. I am scared of abandonment and Therefore push away people before they come closer to me. I also have occasional suicidal tendencies. I always self loath and try to tell bad about myself to others. At one moment I want people to notice me but at the very next I want to be alone. I don't understand why I always feel everything so extreme. Today I will tell a person that I love him but tomorrow I'll start hating him. After self diagnosis I understood I have BPD. I am confused but the symptoms are seen clearly. I need help. Thank you.
Most mental and emotional health issues are inconspicuous in nature and, therefore, cause more harm than they otherwise should, most people still live with a number of symptoms of depression without even realizing it or do little to address it. When the depressive symptoms last for more than 2 weeks and affect the individual's personal, social or occupational life, it is known as clinical depression or major depression. There is often a delay in opting for the treatment because of the social taboo associated with depression.
Depression makes a person miserable, disappointed, restless or numb for long and tedious timeframes, and is debilitating, particularly when they can't demonstrate their feelings and worries to anybody. It can meddle with their productivity and can become a concern not only in workplaces, but also in social circles.
So here's how to deal with a friend or family member in a depressed state of mind:
- Be considerate: Do understand that depression doesn't mean" trouble". Melancholy is a condition with an assortment of side effects like exhaustion, confused mind state and rest issues. These are all side effects of melancholy. Crabbiness is an exceptionally basic side effect, which once in a while is encountered by many individuals, and can lead to an expanded sensitivity. Normally, it's difficult to be sympathetic with someone who is behaving grumpily. But you need to make a conscious effort to still see the positive in depressed individuals and lead them to hope.
- Encourage and support: Try not to shame people for being negative. Dejection changes the world into a scene of pessimism. Discouraged individuals don't just focus on the negatives, but they also disregard the positives.
- Do validate: Approval can help manage a depressed state, and can wean a friend or family member out of depression. Remember that someone with dejection is not living in the same universe as you. The laws that oversee your universe don't exist in theirs. Depressed individuals require your understanding, your empathy, and your affection, considerably more when they are having a troublesome day, week or month. It is hard, but possible. Discouraged individuals value a positive backing in particular.
- Never say 'you're too much': When someone with depression is told "you're too much" particularly by somebody near them, it can send them spiralling into blame and nervousness and bitterness. Being encouraging and empowering is likewise useful.
- Be patient with the treatment process: A certain amount of trial and error in treatment is to be expected, Baer said. But the good news is that doctors can often help people with depression feel better and function better with a combination of medication and talk therapy, he added. With time and treatment, depression can lift. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist.
Being constantly anxious impairs work performance and creates havoc in relationships. The best way to deal with it to accept that it is only a temporary phase which everyone faces. If you keep worrying and try to fight it, you will become even more anxious and your health will become even worse.
It is therefore important that you acknowledge it, first of all and try to cope with it. Controlling anxiety isn't a gigantic task. You can feel at ease with by doing these simple things:
- Self-soothing techniques: There are many physiological things for you to do as well which will allow you to relieve anxiety. Diaphragmatic breathing is a very good way to achieve this. Sometimes reassuring yourself is more valuable than you think. Practice saying comforting things to yourself and the stress and anxiety will automatically reduce. Muscle relaxation is yet another method which will allow you to decrease your anxiety.
- Deep breathing: A 5-minute breathing regime is a sure shot way to relieve anxiety. Sit straight with closed eyes and place your hands on your abdomen. First start with slow inhalation of air through the nose. Feel the breath through your abdomen and head and then reverse the process by exhaling it out through the mouth.
- Meditation: Meditation for a few minutes daily helps relieve anxiety. Meditation is the simplest way to beat anxiety. All you have to do is just sit straight with feet on the floor and closed eyes. Next just focus your energy on reciting a mantra.
- Get adequate sleep: Everyone feels bad when they do not sleep enough. However, did you know that lack of sleep is a major cause of anxiety. The more you sleep, the less anxious you will feel.
- Exercise regularly: You probably know that exercise is very important for maintaining good health. However, what you probably do not know is that exercise is perhaps more effective than even medication in relieving your anxiety. Therefore, it is imperative for you to get moving.
- Monitor your diet: Your diet is crucial in reducing your anxiety as caffeine and alcohol are two of the leading causes of anxiety in your body. However, abruptly stopping your intake of caffeine and alcohol also leads to withdrawal symptoms. Therefore balancing out intake of alcohol and caffeine is crucial.
I am 55 year old. I feel anxiety during the day and suffering chest pain in the left side. It continues until the evening and ends in the night. What care I have to take to come out of this problem?
I lied to a friend of mine . I had realized that many times before too. But that was making me very uncomfortable so I gathered courage and told her everything. She asked me to relax and leave it because that wasn't a big issue for her. But still that lie is troubling me and am unable to get rid of it.
Can severe depression cause cancer. I have come across some people saying so. Is it really so. And can depression and related medicines have the potential to create pituitary problems. Psychiatry, endocrinology, oncology, internal medicine,i also dietician related health query. so please tell me
I am very angry person. When anger will come, I can not control it. Please give suggestion that what I will do ?
I am feeling very depressed during this days nd I dnt why every time I feel very insecure in some places I dnt like food to eat I just get temper every time.
I am trying for banking job since last two years and I deprive it from very small gap. Due to this sometimes I feel very depressed. Suggest me what to do in this situation.
I am feeling like I am lost. I don't like to do anything and nothing makes me happy. I am jobless and lost all hopes that I will get a job. I feel like I don't want this life anymore. All the time I am sad, I can't sleep, eat or concentrate on anything.
For e. G.I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to my self all the time please help me.
Sir, Any lab test available for find out depression. Because somebodies are acting, I have depression. If we are consulting any psychiatric doctor suddenly they are starting medicine (Not all Doctors).
Hello Sir/Mam my mother is suffering from psychiatric problem, likewise she does one thing twice, if she started to wash something she continues to wash. Her health is deteriorating day by day. Can it be cured..
Life is constant game of changes and people who can adapt to it and move on generally tend to find their pockets of happiness. From bad finances to lack of love to a near ones loss, each of us constantly face struggles that can leave us drained and depressed. People often work on these external factors to find their happiness. Those who suffer from depression as an illness though find it taking over multiple spheres of their lives disabling them from doing routine tasks with ease. Depression, like other diseases, can also have a biological origin.
Several theories concerning the biologically based cause of depression have been suggested over the years. Simply put, chemical imbalance in the brain can be a trigger to depression. As the 'command center' of our body, the brain uses a number of chemicals as messengers to communicate with other parts of itself and with the nervous system. These chemical messengers, called neurotransmitters are released and received by the brain's nerve cells called neurons. Neurons are constantly communicating with each other by way of exchanging neurotransmitters. This communication system is essential to all of the brain's functions.
Among the biological causes of depression, the most prominent and widely researched is the monoamine hypothesis. The three main monomine triggers of imbalances that trigger depression are neurotransmitters called serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Serotonin regulates functions like sleep, aggression, eating, sexual behavior, and mood. Similarly, the catecholamine hypothesis suggests that a deficiency of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine (also known as noradrenaline) in certain areas of the brain was responsible for creating depressed mood. Norepinephrine helps our bodies to recognize and respond to stressful situations.
Dopamine plays in important role in helping each of us seek out our 'high' or 'pleasure' from rewards. Low dopamine levels may in part explain why depressed people don't derive the same sense of pleasure out of activities or people that they did before becoming depressed.
Another leading cause of clinical depression is focused on the endocrine system. The endocrine system is responsible for making hormones and releasing them into the blood to regulate processes like reaction to stress and sexual development. Hormonal irregularities may lead to depressive symptoms like loss of appetite and sleep. It is further observed that those who have particular endocrine disorders sometimes develop depression, and some individuals who are depressed develop endocrine problems despite having healthy glands.
In a research done among depressed individuals, over half had a hormone called cortisol in excess in their body and abnormal times of secretion.
Depression can have many triggers and origins and it is important to see the right doctor who can treat the cause, triggers and symptoms in addition to the disease. Depression has a genetic predisposition. Also, the faulty thought pattern alters the physiology by upsetting the hormonal balance. Psychological professional help should be a priority in depression and its role should not be under emphasized.