Find numerous Psychologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
I know a man who is 48 years of ago who is very dear to me, he is addicted to smoking. After trying his best to stop, he smokes once in a day. He want to give up smoking but he unable to do. What to do doctor?
When it comes to the brain and IQ, is bigger better? Does size really matter? Is there really a connection between the size of your brain and intelligence? With the help of findings by neurologists and scientists, we seek to find out!
- Ailments and the brain: Scientists have found that children with autism have a brain that has grown in a disproportionate manner in the very first year of their life. This prevents the child from making connection in a normal manner. On the other hand, children and adolescents who suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or ADHD show sign of having a much smaller brain size. Many scientists have shown that the size of the brain shrinks as we age and this does not have any visible effect on our cognitive abilities.
- It’s all relative: The size of the brain does not really have a bearing on the way a person’s cognition gets shaped. Even large mammals like elephants and whales are finally hunted and tamed by humans who have smaller brains in comparison. The brain is made up of billions of neurons, which need to function properly. It may be seen that scientists consider the brain mass in relation with the rest of the body so as to speculate about the cognitive abilities of the person. Why is this required? Large animals need a well functioning and proportionate brain size to control and run their organs with proper cognition for satisfactory results, which is what we humans seem to have done.
- Neanderthal brain: Historically, the earliest man or the Neanderthals are said to have had larger brains than we do. These people are believed to have brains that are at least 10% larger than the brains that we have in our modern times. The shape of their brain was different too. They were also heavily muscled people which had a bearing on the size and shape of the brain and bodies as well as the lean tissue within the brain. They also survived very successfully for a period of over 200,000 years, which obviously points to some form of elevated cognition, as per many scientists.
- Animals: While animals with small brains like lizards and reptiles do not perform too well on IQ tests, the animals with bigger brains like elephants and dolphins perform much better. But the medium sized brain of monkeys, lemurs and other animals are said to perform in the best manner. The correlation between the body size and the brain does not seem to hold good here, as per various researches.
So the verdict as per medical science and research stands divided! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
For 17 year students like us life is very hectic n monotonous and we are out of the house the whole day class n college So to keep ourselves healthy and remember things better what should we do?
I am now 42 having BP rate 100/150 is suffering from pain in both legs including knees since few months. Taken pain killer tabs like zerodol P whenever felt unbearable. But wanna get completely relieved from that. Kindly suggest. More over I am a chain smoker want to quit smoking. But could not be able to quit smoking. Kindly suggest.
Adding magnesium bath salts and essential oils in your warm bath relieves stress, pain and soreness, and detoxifies your skin.
Hello. I am 25 years old male and I am facing some problems related to health since last 3 years. When I use internet, my body gets dried and I get weight loss. Also there is high fever and extreme headache also. I take consult of many doctors but they told me that this is only a misinterpreted thought. I made lots of trials to check whether it is true or not. But every time I use internet or go in area where there is a use of internet taking place such as near LAN connection, in computer library, internet cafe or where any person using internet on mobile. And yes I am same problem when I go in the field of wifi network. I can feel and identify the internet and WiFi fields from my closed eyes also if I enter in area of internet and WiFi. Please believe me. Surely It is true and my body sensitive towards wifi and internet frequency. Please help me if you have any solution for my problem. You can make experiments on me to check the truth.
I love sex & legs of girls. So I hv done HP daily. please tell me what kind of med I used for ignoring of sex.
For a lack of better term I'm going to put my problem as depression, nothing I do now gives me satisfaction or happiness really. I am not happy with the way I look and I constantly judge and compare myself. I also have a huge issue with my weight which according to my family and friends pretty good. I want to come out of this self deterioration please help.
I am 36 years old lady. A very trusted friend of mine cheated me. He is not feeling sorry for that and living happy. But am not able to for get that and forgive him. Because of this am not getting proper sleep. Not able to concentrate in any work. Feeling mad. I tried to divert my self by reading and painting. Went to relative house. But nothing helped me. Want to come out of it by feeling very difficult. What should I do to come out.
Hi! Today my mother was taking care of his brothers daughter who is 2 years old. My parents call her everyday to our home and take care of her, they are in deep attachment with the kid. It's our responsibility to take care of the kid. My mom and the kid where claiming the stairs and the kid missed her steps and fell down had a small bleeding in her nose (minor incident) .And after a while kid is alright but my mom was so shocked and she was crying very badly. She has lost her mind. The kid was alright but my mom did not keep the issue down. She was crying with panic. Her voice was breaking and she was not in her present mood. I never saw her like that before. She is very humorous and smiling all the time. Looking at her behavior I was very upset and I did not know how to convince her to stop but I fear for what happened, she is more compassionated with the kid and I fear I can't see my mom her tears and everything when she bust out her self. What should I have to do? Should I tell the kids parents not to bring her kid home and to maintain distance (kids parents know her kid fell they are fine with it) I fear about my mom behavior it's not at all normal. How to deal with it? I want to keep my mom happy.
My daughter is staying away from home since last 10 years because of studies and work. Now she has completed her studies and want to do some job. We are telling her to do the job in our city so that we all can live together. But she doesn't want to come back and neither want to stay with us. She wants to be alone and away from us. She is marriage able but don't want to marry now. May be she is afraid of us that we will press her for marriage. How can we convince her that we want her to be happy and will never pressure her to go against her will. Should I stay with her for some time? Very confusing and worried.
Pathological gambling is a situation in which a person is unable to resist the impulse to gamble and this leads to harmful consequences on the personal and social front of an individual. Pathological gambling is repetitive in nature, and a person cannot stop gambling by any means. The person would try to get money anyhow to gamble and he would feel uncomfortable or irritated at the idea of quitting gambling.
In order to control pathological gambling, it is advised that a person should quit gambling totally. Here are some measures which you can follow to control pathological gambling.
- Rehabilitation Programs: Both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs can curb pathological gambling in a person. The program of a treatment center, if followed by heart, can cure the gambling problem. Moreover, by staying at a rehab for a period of time, a person will also stay away from gambling and will not get a chance to do so. Outpatient rehabilitation programs like group sessions and classes or one-on-one therapy sessions can also prevent gambling addicts from gambling without staying away from home.
- Twelve-step Program: The twelve step program by Gamblers Anonymous or GA may help a person overcome pathological gambling. For people who cannot afford long term rehabilitation programs, the twelve steps are ideal. Based on the same principles of the Alcoholics Anonymous, this program helps you to build a support group comprising of other recovering or recovered gambling addicts. Meetings are held every day, and you must attend these meetings to get help and encouragement.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: Other than group therapies and support groups, psychotherapy also helps in dealing with pathological gambling problems. A one-on-one session with a therapist is very essential as gambling addiction arises from deep emotional issues. Clearing these issues would benefit the affected person. Treating the underlying issues may stop pathological gambling. Opening up to a therapist may be effective.
- Medication: In certain cases, medication is required to help get over pathological gambling. Gambling addiction may result on account of other underlying mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder. Treating the underlying causes with proper medication will cure the pathological gambling problem. Your impulse must be taken under control.
- Changes in lifestyle: Pathological gambling causes extreme loss of a person’s financial condition. A recovering pathological gambler must hand over all his financial responsibilities to a trusted family member or friend. Places such as casinos or gambling events should be avoided to restrict relapse.
Pathological gambling is a severe situation, which can cause great loss and harm to a person from many perspectives. One must take all necessary measures required to bring pathological gambling under control.