Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Mira RaisinghaneyYour feedback matters!
Are Bananas Fattening or Weight Loss Friendly?
People who want to improve their health are often advised to eat more fruits and vegetables. However, some people worry that high-sugar fruits like bananas can be fattening.
This article explores whether bananas will make you gain or lose weight.
Nutrition Facts of Bananas
Bananas are high in many nutrients and provide many health benefits
They contain lots of fiber, carbs and some essential vitamins and minerals.
A medium-sized banana contains
- Potassium: 12% of the RDI.
- Vitamin B6: 20% of the RDI.
- Vitamin C: 17% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 8% of the RDI.
- Copper: 5% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 15% of the RDI.
- Fiber: 3.1 grams.
This is coming with around 105 cal, 90% of which come from carbs. Most of the carbs in ripe bananas are sugars - sucrose, glucose, and fructose.
On the other hand, bananas are low in both fat and protein.
Bananas also contain a number of beneficial plant compounds and antioxidants, including dopamine and catechin.
Bananas Are High in Fiber, But Low in Calories
Calorie for calorie, bananas contain a lot of fiber. One medium banana provides around 12% of your recommended daily intake, with just 105 calories.
Fiber is important for maintaining regular bowel habits and plays a vital role in digestive health. An adequate fiber intake is also linked to reduced body weight.This effect is thought to occur because fiber makes you feel full for longer, which may help you eat fewer calories over the long term.
The Greener the Banana, the Higher the Resistant Starch
The type of carbs in a banana depends on how ripe it is.
Unripe, green bananas are high in starch and resistant starch, while ripe, yellow bananas contain mostly sugars. Resistant starches are long chains of glucose (starch) that are resistant to digestion. They act like soluble fiber in the body and have lots of potential health benefits. This includes weight loss and reduced blood sugar levels. Resistant starch can also slow down the absorption of sugar from foods. This keeps your blood sugar levels stable and helps you feel full. Furthermore, resistant starch may also increase fat burning.
Bananas Have a Low Glycemic Index, But it Depends on Ripeness
The glycemic index (GI) measures how much foods raise blood sugar levels. If a food scores lower than 55, it's considered to have a low GI. 56-69 is medium, while a score above 70 is high. Foods that contain a lot of simple sugars are quickly absorbed and have a high GI value since they cause a greater rise in blood sugar levels. Eating a lot of high-GI foods has been linked to weight gain and an increased risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Foods with more slowly absorbed carbs have a lower GI and keep your blood sugar levels stable. Since bananas are 90% carbs, they're sometimes considered to be a high-sugar fruit that could spike your blood sugar. However, the GI score of bananas is 42-62, depending on ripeness. This makes them low to medium on the glycemic index.
Ripe bananas have a higher GI than greener bananas. The sugar content increases as the banana matures, which in turn affects your blood sugar levels. That said, overall bananas seem to release their sugars slowly.
Low-GI foods like bananas may also help you feel full and keep blood sugar levels stable.This may lead to weight loss over time.
Fattening or Weight Loss Friendly?
Bananas are healthy and nutritious, there is no doubt about that. They are also high in fiber, but low in calories.
Most bananas have a low to medium glycemic index, and should not cause big spikes in blood sugar levels compared to other high-carb foods.
Although there are no studies that directly examine the effects of bananas on weight, they do have several properties that should make them a weight loss friendly food.
If you are trying to lose weight, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating bananas as a part of a balanced, real food based diet.
I am female 23 year old, I had sex without precautions after 2 days of my periods, I took I pill after 4 hours and one after 24 hours and yesterday again my periods came. So please tell me is any chance of pregnancy.
I think I jave PCOD, cuz I have been getting on my period after one month but now its two months and haven't seen my period, what medicine should I take?
I wanted to know. Usually after how many days of missed periods doctor asks to go for scanning. If it is done early. Does that create any problem for baby?
Sir last four months before I got married, my wife get period after 40 days then second time she get period at after 70 days, during period she never get pain as well as less blood only came out, why like this happen, what reason? Now what can I do?
Hi my age 29 years. Since many days am experiencing sharp pain in my left shoulders, left hand, left breast and back bone. I have been neglecting thinking that the possible reason would be due to spondylitis but the pain is increasing day by day. Kindly help to let me know the possible reason for it. I did not consult any doctor nor I had used any medication.
I am 9 months post protein via c section. I am suffering from severe leg pain and back pain since delivery. I am 155 cms in height and 65 kgs in weight and people saying that it might be because of over weight. My right big toe was numb for few months and now the left big toe also becomes numb. When I wake up in the morning I could barely move my leg and literally I was like limbing. The pain is getting worse when I stand for a long tim sitting for a while. I used ointments but the condition has not improved. Kindly advice me what to do further. I have taken calcium medication as per doctors prescription. But nothing works. I have extreme pain in the pressure points and my foot was very hard and appears like wrinkled.
The after effects of any surgery can be harsh on the body. Post knee replacement surgery, one will need to remain in a straight and relaxed position for a long time due to the bed rest prescribed by the orthopaedic specialist. Yet, it is important to carry out some kind of activity after the surgery so as to make the knee strong, firm and ready to be normal again.
Here are a few physiotherapy exercises that can help post knee replacement patients:
- Pumps and Circles: Ankle pumps and circles should be done in sets of ten per direction. This can help in ensuring that the blood circulation and nerve function normalise within no time after the surgery. This action is especially helpful because it affects the heels, calves and leg muscles before reaching the knee. Ensure that you rotate each foot clockwise and the counter clockwise.
- Thigh Squeeze: The thigh squeeze is an excellent want to ensure that you are working the muscles of the legs without putting undue pressure on the knees. This is especially helpful when you have been advised bed rest. This motion involves squeezing and releasing the thighs so that there is some amount of firmness that is being built along with strength and stamina. You can hold the squeeze for five to ten seconds before you relax and try again.
- Heel Slide: The heel slide is a good option for those who are going through bed rest. This exercise ensures that you work your knee in a suitable way as the bending motion gets the knee to get used to being functional again. Due to the posture of the patient, this does not put pressure on the knee. Slowly bring your heel up, stop and then slide it down. Repeat at least ten times for each knee before increasing it to twenty times.
- Kicks: While you are lying down, you can render small kicks into the air. Repeat at least ten times for each leg before increasing it gradually to twenty kicks per leg. This should be done when you are lying flat on your back. This exercise can help in flexing and strengthening your quadriceps. Hold the kick for at least five to ten seconds before you relax and repeat with the other leg.
- Sitting Flex: You can also sit in a chair and flex your knee, holding the leg out in front of you for at least five to ten seconds, before slowly bringing it down and lifting again. This will help in strengthening the thigh and knee to a great extent.
You will need to exercise regularly in order to recover well after a knee replacement procedure.
I'm a girl of 18 in feeling too much itching in my vagina n a sticky material also comes on the wall of it the irritation is like someone pointing a pin in my vagina. I got fungal infection near by 22Oct what should I do.
Hi doctor. My wife got period today. She is very weak. She is suffering with pain in left side of the abdomen. She is feeling that a small round ball like structure is sensing with pain when she touches with her hand at the abdomen. This phenomena is observed two months back. Last month there is no such type of problem. But today she is saying the same problem. Why this is happening. How to overcome this problem. Is there is any medication. please help me.
Hello I took I pill on 11 Dec 2016 n my with drawal bleed was on 16 Dec So now my newcycle shud start om 17 Dec 2016. N my periods shud come on 17 jan 2017 But my periods did not occur yet? Why so?
My age is 23 yrs.Periods are not coming with out medicine .In my 16th i having surgean by the reason of ultra found in my outside of the uterus ,my uterus still in small in size 3.5*4.1cm. Please suggest me how get periods reggularly and how to improve my uterus size
I'm 19 years old and suffering from PCOD. When I checked on internet, I had the same symptoms like irregular periods (usually a gap of 5-6 months, mood swings, acne,pimples, unwanted hair on majority every body part, sudden weight gain, digestion problem. I have got my pelvic ultrasound done last year which showed that both ovaries are enlarged in size, show increased stormal echogenecity and my testosterone level is 55.15 ng/dl and prolactin level is 10.51 ng/dl. I have all types of medications be it allopathic, ayurvedic,homeopathic and even naturopathy but no results seen. Kindly suggest me the best possible way to curb this problem Thanks.
Natural remedies for general weakness:
- Soak 8-10 almonds and 1 teaspoon rice overnight. Remove the outer skin of almonds and make a fine paste. Mix in some milk and a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi). Boil in water and drink this with sugar candy (mishri) or ordinary sugar to taste.
- Take mango slices. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon honey, a pinch of saffron (kesar), cardamom (chhoti illaichi) and rose water (gulab jal) on it. Take twice daily.
- Do 10-15 minutes of warm up and stretching exercises in the morning before leaving for work. This will help to keep you fresh and prevent tiredness.
- Never skip your morning breakfast.
- Take a break from your daily routine. Set some goals in the day to perform. Learn to delegate work as too many things together can be a cause for fatigue and tiredness.
- A warm shower after work or before going to bed is also helpful.
- Avoid cigarette smoking, alcohol and tobacco as far as possible.
- Avoid burning the candle from both the ends by sleeping late and getting up early in the morning. Have a sound sleep for at least 7-8 hours daily.
I had sex with my hus three days before. I. Feeling so much pain in my vagina. And bleeding so much. It has a radish brown colour. Im I pregnant. I ate papaya yesterday. Why itz bleedings?
Menstruation is the monthly discharge of blood from the vagina, which lasts for about 5 to 6 days. It is the shedding of the inner lining of the uterus, when pregnancy does not occur after the release of egg from the ovary. Menstrual periods are generally often accompanied by painful cramps in the lower abdomen, heavy bleeding, weakness, water retention, irritability and malaise.
What is Menorrhagia?
Very heavy or prolonged periods are medically termed as menorrhagia. It is abnormally heavy bleeding if there is a requirement to change sanitary napkins or tampons several times within a very short span of time. Passing large blood clots, night time bleeding, bleeding for over 7 -8 days, are other symptoms that one might be suffering from menorrhagia.
Common Causes Behind It
Menorrhagia is mostly a cause of hormonal imbalances, particularly in the levels of estrogens and progesterone.
Fibroids, cysts or polyps in the organs of the reproductive system, which includes the uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes.
History of miscarriage or failed pregnancies.
Use of contraceptives
How can you treat heavy bleeding during menses
Change of diet: You must include more minerals, iron, magnesium and calcium in your diet. Your diet must comprise a lot of green vegetables, fresh fruits and dairy products.
Some non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen may be prescribed to reduce the blood loss.
Certain hormonal therapies to regulate the hormonal imbalances and menstrual irregularities.
Home remedies such as intake of certain herbs, ginger and coriander seeds help to control heavy bleeding.
Increasing magnesium intake to balance out levels of oestrogen.
It is best to stick to natural remedies, as it generally does not create complications in other bodily functions.
If the bleeding cannot be controlled even after a change of diet and home remedies, you must consult the gynaecologist as soon as possible. Heavy bleeding is a serious problem, especially if accompanied by dizziness, fluctuations in the blood pressure, nausea and weight loss. Severe cramps and constant bleeding can hinder daily routine, therefore, the earlier you receive medical attention, the quicker you will get relief.