Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Milind M NivendkarYour feedback matters!
Coughing is a common problem of the respiratory tract and often indicates a deeper problem. It can be very irritating and can affect eating habits and socialization. A cough which persists for more than 4 weeks is believed to be chronic in nature. Tuberculosis (TB) is the most common cause of chronic cough in India. TB is an airborne bacterial infection caused by the organism, 'Mycobacterium tuberculosis', that primarily affects the lungs, although other organs and tissues may be involved. Cardinal features are:
- Chronic cough with or without sputum.
- Fever more in the night time.
- Poor appetite.
- Unintentional weight loss.
Read on to know about other common causes of chronic cough and how to manage them.
- Allergies: People with allergies usually have a chronic cough, which gets aggravated when exposed to the allergens such as pollen or environmental dust. Staying away from allergen provides relief. Antihistamines are also useful, which most people detected with allergies keep in handy. Inhalers might be required, if there is associated congestion or shortness of breath.
- Asthma: This is a very common chronic condition, caused by inflammation and swelling of the lungs, in addition to wheezing and shortness of breath. Asthma patients often suffer from a chronic cough. An asthma attack usually happens during the night or early morning, and is triggered by colds, cigarette smoke, air pollutants or allergens, which can even include certain foods. Most asthmatics usually carry their steroids, inhalers, and bronchodilators, as the onset of attack can be unpredictable.
- Bronchitis: This condition of inflammation of the bronchial region is very common among smokers and among the elderly. There is excessive mucus accumulation, which the body tries to clear via coughing. The lungs are weakened and therefore, the coughing is painful.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): This is a problem of the digestive system, but regurgitation of food into the airway induces cough. GERD is a chronic issue and so most people also end up with a chronic cough. It is worse with sitting up than with sitting down. Treatment includes H2 blockers to suppress acid production and dietary changes including small, frequent meals and avoiding spicy food items.
- Upper airway cough syndrome: There could be multiple problems in the upper airway, which leads to a constant postnasal drip. Here, there is constant dripping of the sputum into the air passage, which can lead to a chronic cough whenever there is impaired air flow. This can be caused by various forms of chronic sinusitis and rhinitis. People diagnosed with this condition usually resort to antihistamines and decongestants for relief.
- Other causes: There are a number of other causes as noted below. Smoking, tuberculosis, congestive heart failure, pertussis or whooping cough, foreign body in the airway, cancer in the airway passage, chronic aspiration of foods, etc. can all lead to chronic cough.
The key is to identify the reason that is causing the chronic cough. Most people who are diagnosed are educated to handle it and carry the required medications including steroids, bronchodilators, and inhalers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Ayurveda has a solution of celiac disease please suggest me. My nine years old daughter is suffering from celiac disease.
Hi doctor, my baby is 3 months old. He is having slow weight gain and looking so lean. His birth weight is 3.4 kg and now he is 5.2 kg. Is it normal? I am on breastfeeding. He is not finishing one breast completely. He is taking only foremilk and not hindmilk. He is very lazy to suck and sleeps often in the breast. After feeding I used to pump to remove the hindmilk. Please suggest what to be done?
I have myometrial fibriods, do these fibroid cause hindrance to pregnancy . One is located in uterine fundal region and another with in the posterior myometrium uterine body
Fluoride treatment is commonly given to children as their teeth are developing. If a child has a history of cavities or are at high risk of decay, he or she should use additional fluoride to promote remineralization. Often children get fluoride treatment done every six months for extra protection against cavities.
Dr Puja Bansal
Prudent international health clinic http://www.prudentdentalclinic.com
My 10 months old baby has got cough and running nose, cold. Please suggest if giving nebulizer helps in speedy curing along with medicines? Will it have any side effects?
Dear doctor, my neice (8 years old) is affected by brucellosis/pleural effusion/pyopericardium/partial pericadiectomy done/collagen vascular disorder, she is discharged from hospital after a month of icu care. Now almost everyday she gets high fever and pimples in complete body.
This child diagnosed as psychiatric disease breath holding spell. Quite common nowadays. This child voluntarily hold his breath for few minutes :-) to make worry his parents to fulfill his wish..Beware of Emotinal Atyachar ;-)
Hi My baby is 19 mths old recently doctor had told to do ATCH test for my baby and her report says. ATCH is below 5 and normal range is 0 to 48 so what does it mean pls suggest.
My son was down with viral three weeks ago. Till then his feed intake was fine as he takes breast feed and nan pro1 alternate. After his viral his feed intake has reduced. He refuses to take top feed sometimes mine too. Whereas he is active. No stomach ache. No nose block. Motions are fine. No irritability seen. I am worried as I have to join work and sometimes no feed taken till 6 hrs.
We all got together to indulge into our favourite foods this holiday season, where platter overflowed with sweet, spicy and acidic foods. However, when it comes to teeth, sugar isn’t the only culprit that cause tooth decay. High levels of acid in everyday foods and drinks are equally harmful. Lemons to wine, high-acid foods and drinks erode your teeth, causing decay, sensitivity and discoloration. But that doesn’t mean you have to strike all acidic foods and drinks from your diet. The way you consume these items can lessen their damage on your teeth.
It is a type of tooth wear where, the protective surface of your teeth or the enamel wears away exposing the underlying material, called dentin. This leaves your tooth vulnerable to tartar, plaque and bacteria, which cause decay.
Causes of tooth erosion:
Calcium is a key ingredient in building strong teeth. Unfortunately, exposing your teeth to acid can leach calcium from your enamel, causing this protective surface to break down. Foods which have Ph. below 5.0 to 5.7 are acidic. This acid can come from many sources, including the following:
· Carbonated drinks. All soft drinks, including “diet” options, contain high levels of acid that can easily dissolve your enamel.
· Wine. Whether you choose red, white or rosé, drinking wine will soften your enamel.
· Pickles. Which are traditionally seen in an Indian platter
· Fruit juice. The most acidic options include lemon, cranberry, orange and apple.
· Citric fruits. Snacking or sucking on lemons, oranges and limes can wear down your teeth.
· Candy. No sugary sweets are good for your teeth, but you should pay extra attention to avoid sour gummies and candies.
· Sugar. Even though sugar itself does not contain high levels of acidity, it promotes the growth of acid-creating bacteria in your mouth, creating an acidic environment.
· Stomach acid. Vomiting and reflux also can cause serious tooth damage when stomach acid comes into contact with your teeth. If you suffer from an eating disorder, acid reflux or a related condition, seek professional help.
Signs of tooth erosion
Acid wear may lead to serious dental problems. It is important to notice the signs of tooth erosion in its early stages (sensitivity and discoloration) before more severe damage occur, such as cracks, pain and decay.
· Sensitivity. As your teeth’s protective enamel wears away, you may feel a twinge of pain when you consume hot, cold or sweet food and drink. As more enamel is worn away, teeth become increasingly sensitive.
· Discoloration. Teeth can become increasingly yellow as the thinning enamel layer exposes the underlying dentin.
· Rounded teeth. Your teeth may have a rounded or “sand-blasted” look.
· Sharp edges. You might notice thinning of teeth with sharp edges which might cut your tongue and cheeks.
· Transparency. Your front teeth may appear slightly translucent near the edges.
· Cracks. Small cracks and roughness may appear at the edges of teeth.
· Cupping. Small dents may appear on the chewing surface of the teeth, and fillings may appear to be rising up out of the tooth.
What you can do to prevent tooth erosion
Follow these tips to reduce the effects of acid on your teeth.
· Eating higher pH. Food alongside. This helps in lowering the acidity. Includes food like nuts, cheese, oatmeal, mangoes, melons, banana, apples, eggs, vegetables, brown rice and whole grains.
· Eat with meals. Instead of snacking throughout the day, save acidic foods for mealtimes. This will reduce their contact with your teeth and help neutralize the acid by eating it with other foods.
· Wash down with water. Sip water alongside or after the acidic food or drink to wash it out of your mouth.
· Use a straw. While having acidic beverages, reduce their contact with your teeth by using a straw and finishing the drink quickly, instead of sipping over a long period of time.
· Say no to bubbles. Swap out carbonated drinks with water, milk or tea.
· Wait before brushing. Acid softens your enamel, so brushing immediately after eating or drinking high-acid foods or drinks can actually cause damage. Wait at least half an hour and then start brushing. In the meantime, you can always rinse your mouth with tap water.
· Quit smoking. Studies have showed that smokers are more prone to acidity leading to acid reflux and teeth erosion
· Professional help. See your dentist twice a year for dental cleaning and oral screening.
· Sugar free gums. Chewing on sugar free gums increase the saliva flow which, neutralise the acid and help the teeth to stay strong.
I am Dr I.P.S Kochar, pediatrics, endocrinologist and diabetologist. Today I will be talkingt to you about Child Obesity which is becoming prevealant and epidermic in India and other countries also. So, it is increasing day by day. More than 65 million of the people are facing Child Obesity under the age of 5 years.
So, if you have any child or infant who is obese. The child will have to suffer from many problems in future.
What do you mean by Obesity?
Obesity means there is an abnormal or excessive fat accumulation in the body. So, over weight and Obesity, both are same. Obesity can cause number of problems. There are many types of complications, those are;
- In future, a child can have heart disease. THese are all metabolic problems.
- There are more chances of getting obesity in adulthood.
- Child get more prone to HYpertension.
- Girls get more prone to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
- Reproductive problems
These are some of the metabolics which can occur. Besides this, the children can have non-metabolic problems like joint pains at early stage, difficulty in walking, sleep apnea problems and there can be other psychological problems. Children may have low confidence level, low self esteem. So these are the problems which are commonly found in such patients.
What should be done to get rid of this Child Obesity?
One of the major factor is lifestyle. People are becoming technically dependent. People are using AC Cars, Children are going to AC schools and buses. The play time in the schools has decreased greatly. This is all aggrevated to cause Obesity.
The food intake has also become different. Children are consuming more of junk food. high fatty food, high salty food which is one of a major cause of Obesity.
Not only people from urban area are becoming obese but also the people from rural area. This problem is required to be solved.
The main thing is that we have to change our lifestyle. People have to change their food habits, they have to indulge in the routine exercise. So, there is a simple formula called 5-3-2-1, where,
- 5 means taking 5 portions of veggies or fruits everyday.
- 4 means taking 4 glasses of water per day.
- 3 means 3 times mil in a day.
If you don't remember this, atleast remember 5-2-1, where,
- 2 means that do not use gadgets for more than 2 hours in a day.
- 1 hour of physical activity in a day.
So, this formula is very helpful if children follow it. So, try to take low carbohydrates, low fat, more protein in the diet. One should try to change their lifestyle because the obesity is causing all these major problems.
Now, we are getting more children of 5 years, 8 years , 10 yeras with non-communicable disease like Obesity, hypertension, diabtes. Diabtes type-2 has also started coming in the children and the adolescence population only because of the lifestyle.
Now you see many girls whop are obese at the age of 12 -18 years. THey suffering problems like impaired glucose tolerance, they are getting black areas in the neck and also they are getting reproductive problems, hair on the face, so all these problems are increasing the complications.
I would recommend to only change the lifestyle, make changes in the food habits and try to indulge in the routine exercises.
If you want to contact me, you can do so via Lybrate or you can visit my clinic which is in Noida. But pelase do follow the above mentioned tips.
My son is- 8 years old. Having 38 kg weight. becomes fatty since last two month. H/o- Adenoids (opeBeaches rative not done) Thyroid test done. Values are T3- 231.8 mg/dl T4- 8.09ug/dl TSH- 1.77uig/ml Is there any disease? Please tell the prognosis.
My daughter is 7 years old. She often gets fever. It starts suddenly, and increases up to 103-104F. She is vaccinated properly .Now we are using homeopathic medicines. It gives better results to her when compared to allopathy. But we are unable to control the temperature. It gradually increases up to 103f and reduces up to 100. 8f at early morning and again raises upto 103 by evenings. This condition remains for at least 3 days .later the temperature goes down to below normal and she becomes very weak .We consulted many doctors. All blood test reports are normal. But there is no improvement . She is studying 2nd STD and she is very active and intelligent too. What do I do for her? How do I know the actual reason behind her health problem? Please suggest me.
Are you observing red, crusty patches on the surface of your infant’s skin during his/her first month after birth? This is an indication of infant eczema. It is a dry, itchy skin condition which may occur on any part of your child’s body and is commonly found on the cheeks, legs and arms. This condition is sometimes confused with cradle cap, which is another skin condition.
Eczema usually runs in families and is hereditary. If you have eczema, it is likely that your child may have it too. Several problems in the skin barrier allow germs inside and moisture to go out. This is a common cause of eczema in infants. The condition occurs when the body makes insufficient fatty cells or ceramides. When there is not enough of these, the skin loses water and becomes extremely dry.
Does Eczema In Infants Go Away By Itself?
In many cases, infant eczema goes away on its own and most infants outgrow the condition by the time they are ready for school. However, some children do get eczema during their adulthood. This may continue for years without specific symptoms. Such children also tend to have dry skin.
Here are some home treatment options for infant eczema:
You should use moisturisers on your child. Moisturisers containing ceramides are a good option, which are available at all over-the-counter (OTC) stores by prescription. You can also opt for good moisturisers, fragrance-free creams and ointments like petroleum jelly. This helps in keeping your baby’s skin in retaining natural moisture. Apply these after a bath.
A lukewarm bath is beneficial for your child. It helps in hydrating and cooling the skin. The water should not be very hot and the bath should not exceed 10 minutes. You can also add oatmeal soaking products to your baby’s scrub for soothing itchiness.
You must use mild and unscented body soaps for your baby. This is because perfumed, antibacterial and deodorant soaps are rough for your baby’s skin. Scrub some soap on areas of your child’s body where there is dirt, such as the genitals, feet and hand. Do not rub or pat his/her skin.
Several medicines are also used for the treatment of infant eczema. These include hydrocortisone creams and ointments, which help in easing inflammation and itching. You should not apply these medicines in excess as they can thin the skin on the affected areas.
You should consult a doctor on observing any signs or symptoms of eczema on your child’s skin. This will help in proper diagnosis of the problem and an early treatment plan will prevent further deterioration of the symptoms.
Sir last 15 days my 9 month son have allergy on full body, now last one week my wife and my daughter have some problem please suggest reason and what to take, thank you.
Which milk supplement is good for kids? Junior horlicks/lil champs/pediasure/horlicks growth plus or any others.
Hi my baby was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux with suspected uti. And was put on antibiotics till date. She was 2 months old at diag. Now she is normal. Should we need to continue the med. Dose 1.5ml septron.
टीएनज एक ऐसी अवस्था है जिसमे बच्चो में शारीरिक और मानसिक बहुत सारे बदलाव होने लगते है जिसके के कारन बच्चो के बेहेवियर में कई तरह के बदलाव अचानक होने लगते है अगर समय रहते हम इन बदलाओ को पहचान के कुछ जरूरी कदम उठाले तो हम बच्चो की अच्छी पेरेंटिंग कर सकते है
गुस्सा - बच्चो में हर बात पे गुस्सा और चिड़चिड़ाहट होना टीनएज का पहला बड़ा लछड़ होता है बच्चो को बिना किसी बात के गुस्सा आने लगता है और वो जल्दी परेशान हो जाते है ऐसे समय जब बच्चा बहुत गुस्से में हो तो उससे ज्यादा बात करने को कोशिश न करे और उसे कुछ समय के लिए अकेला छोड़ दे और जब वो रिलैक्स हो जाये तब ही उससे बात करे , और परेशानी का कारन पूछे
फैशन पे ज्यादा धयान देना - उम्र बढ़ने के साथ साथ बच्चो का शारीरिक और मानसिक विकास होने लगता है इसमें वो अपने पढ़ाई से ज्यादा फैशन से जुडी चीजो के बारे में जानकारी लेना और इस्तेमाल करना शुरू कर देते है और बहुत ज्यादा कॉस्मेटिक खरीदने लगते है ऐसे में बच्चो को फैशन के बारे में बताये उनको नए कपडे खरीदने में मदद करे और साथ ही साथ उन से बातचीत करते रहे और उनकी राय लेते रहे
सोशल मीडिया का इस्तेमाल - आजकल हर बच्चा सोशल मीडिया और फेसबुक का इस्तेमाल कर रहा है तो इसे में बच्चो पर इन सब सोशल मीडिया की चीजो को इस्तेमाल करने से न रोके पर सोशल मीडिया इस्तेमाल करने से पहले उनकी ट्रेंनिंग करे उनको बताये की सोशल मीडिया का क्या सही इतेमाल है और उससे किस किस तरह की परेशानियां हो सकती है
मोबाइल का ज्यादा इस्तेमाल - आज हर बच्चा मोबाइल का इस्तेमाल करता है ऐसे में बच्चे मोबाइल का इस्तेमाल मनोरंजन में ज्यादा करने लगे है वो मोबाइल में गेम खेलते है , इन्टरनेट इस्तेमाल करते है और रात में ज्यादा बात करते है इसके लिए पेरेंट्स कुछ सावधानिया रक्खे बच्चो को बहुत छोटी उम्र में स्मार्ट फ़ोन न दे , मोबाइल फ़ोन ज्यादा इन्तेमाल न खुद करे और बच्चो को भी शिखाएं की मोबाइल का जरुरत पड़ने पर ही इस्तेमाल करे और बच्चो को रात में मोबाइल पे बात करने से रोके
अपोजिट सेक्स के लिए आकर्षण - बढती उम्र में बच्चो को अपोजिट सेक्स के लिए आकर्षण होने लगता है ऐसे में बच्चा बहुत ज्यादा अकेला रहना पसंद करते है और अपनी बातो को छुपाना पसंद करते है ऐसे में माता पिता बच्चे से सेक्स education को लेकर बात करे और अगर बच्चा किसी तरह के पर्सनल रिलेशन में है तो उस पर रिलेशन छोड़ने का ज्यादा दबाव न बनाये और बच्चे से अपनी बातचीत बनाये रक्खे
कुछ बातो का विशेष धयान रख्खे -
- बच्चो के सामान की जासूसी न करे
- गुस्से में बच्चो को गलत शब्द न कहे बच्चो के खाने पीने का विशेष धयान दे
- बच्चो का दूसरे बच्चो से तुलना न करे
- बच्चो की आदर दे कर बात करे
- बच्चे की आदतों का ध्यान रख्खे
- किसी भी हालात में बच्चे से बात करना न बंद करे
- बच्चो की पढ़ाई में रूचि का धयान दे
- बच्चो के साथ सामाजिक कार्यक्रमो में जरूर जाये
- बच्चो उनकी हॉबी के अनुसार अपना काम करने दे