Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mercy S Kurian
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Mercy S KurianYour feedback matters!
My son's DOB is 23.02. 2016. He was given his 10 week vaccination today - 6.5. 2016 and NXT one is due on 6.6. 2016. Can I give it on 1.6. 2016? As I am going out of station.
My daughter is of 18 months she used to read cement like an addiction what harms can it cause for health and how to get rid of her habit.
My wife delivered baby girl. Girl born within 8 month due to hypertension to my wife. After 1 year we r planning for baby. Same situation will prevail for next baby also due to this hypertension. How to avoid hypertension for next baby. Please advice.
My daughter is 2 year old but she is so week she has cough and running nose problem in each month, her immune system is so week so she felt sick in each month please suggest.
Mera beta 1 month ka he or 4 6 Dino se uske kan ke undar skin nikal rahi he. Esa kyu hota he? Hum uske kan me signtel ke 2 bund dalte he.
How to Dry Baby's Hair?
Baby towels often have a hood attached to it that can be used to gently blot your baby's hair. Do not rub as the baby's hairs are fine and very delicate and vulnerable to damage. Also, never try to blow-dry a baby's hair, as babies' skin is very much sensitive than an adult's skin and can be very easily burnt. Their hair also dries very fast on its own.
How to Comb Baby's Hair?
Comb your baby's hair with a soft-bristle brush or a tooth brush that won't snag on tangles or pull your baby's hair. Avoid headbands or ponytails, as they pull your baby's hair back too tight, which can damage hair.
Cradle Cap-Should I worry?
Cradle cap refers to the fleshy, red flakes on the scalp of baby. This is not harmful but some may be bothered by it. Before a bath, massage a little bit of coconut oil into your baby's scalp to loosen the dry skin. Gently rub the oil into your baby's scalp with a ultra soft brush or wash cloth to release the flakes. Always wash your baby's hair with a gentle baby shampoo. Cradle cap should get better on its own. If it sticks around or spreads to the face of baby, or neck or other parts of the body, you should see your doctor.
What Oil should I Apply on My Baby's Hair?
Many new parents try to apply baby oil in the newborns scalp under the impression that it will lead to hair growth. This is a biggest misconception. Baby oil actually causes dryness of the scalp and clogs the pores of the head. Often the cause of cradle cap in babies is the usage of the baby oil. For healthy hair growth it would suffice coconut oil is applied onto your infant's hair and scalp.
When should I Plan the First Haircut?
There is no particular set time for a first haircut as it will not harm hair growth of the baby. Whenever you feel your child needs a trim, you should go ahead and get it done.
Why my Baby has Bald Spots? What Should I Do?
Sometimes babies have bald spots on their head because children lie in the supine position most of the time. Encourage the "tummy time" when your baby is awake, to allow their head to round out and prevent bald patches.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized dermatologist and ask a free question.
My daughter is 2 years old. She is allergenic to cold. Our house is a very old and damp place. She suffers frequently from cold and cough. Can I use a room heater in her room for 24 hrs during the winter season?
The underrated vegetable is know for its hefty nutritional values. It is a known diuretic (which helps to remove excess water and toxins) from the system and also help in gastroinstestinal problems like flatulence(gas),indigestion and acidity. It surely makes a healing punch.
Having a child is one of the most physically and emotionally trying situations that a couple will go through? This is especially true for a mother. The mother goes through a roller coaster of emotional and physical changes as well as other changes in her job and relationship. So, if you are going back to work after having a baby, read this article to gain some perspective!
- Deciding When: Timing is the first thing that matters in such cases. Remember to discuss this aspect with your partner and get some much needed advice from someone who will be sharing the child's responsibilities with you. Also, emotionally the mother has to be ready to leave the child for that duration in order to go to work and be productive. Feelings like guilt and helplessness may overwhelm you at first, but you have to have your coping mechanisms in place when it comes down to it.
- Coping Mechanisms: Speaking of coping mechanisms, let us discuss what all you can do to make a smooth transition from new mother to working mother. Finding support is crucial to begin with. The babysitter or family members who will be the caregiver for the child in those hours when you working, should be someone who you can trust implicitly. It may help to interview and spend time with a new nanny or babysitter before the child is born. This will help in setting a pace, understanding expectations and adjusting to each other even as you build trust. Another coping mechanism includes having someone you can talk to a friend, your parents, your spouse or a co worker. It can be anyone who will be willing to listen and offer you advice when you are feeling overwhelmed.
- Breastfeeding: If you do plan to continue breastfeeding your child, it would be best to discuss this with your boss or a counsellor at your place of work before you decide to get back to work. Ensure that you are given a separate room that is hygienic and well lit so that you can carry your breast pump and operate it there. Or, you can opt for day care within the office premises so that you can see your child and breastfeed him\her at regular intervals.
The choice of going back to work or staying at home after having a baby may not exactly be an easy one to make, but knowing your options and working your way around them with the right coping mechanisms and support can help you in gaining the right perspective that will help you focus on both areas with vigour and love. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychologist.
Children are much more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disorders than grown-ups. This is because the gum and teeth in toddlers are very delicate. Moreover, children are more attracted to sweets and other food items, which cause damage to the teeth.
Here are several ways to protect the teeth of your little one:
- Have a dental checkup: You should take your child to a dentist on his first birthday. Early prevention is important as any kind of problem in the teeth will be detected and this will save you from a lot of trouble in the future.
- Teaching healthy habits: Brushing is very important and you should teach your child to brush regularly, more than once a day. Before the development of teeth in your baby, you should brush his gums gently by using water on a soft baby toothbrush or with a clean and soft cloth. After developing teeth, brushing must be practiced with delicate toothbrushes and fluoridated toothpaste. If several teeth touch against each other, you should use flossing. Brushing is essential before going to bed, and no food should be taken after brushing.
- Prevent "baby bottle decay": You should not let your child go to sleep with a bottle of juice or milk. The sugar contained in these liquids sticks to the child's teeth, which activates bacteria and may lead to tooth decay.
- Avoid giving juice to your child: Juice may be healthy for the body, but it leads to tooth decay in little kids. The amount of regular juice intake should never be above four ounces.
- Avoid excess use of a sippy cup: Sippy cups enable children to shift from bottles to a glass. However, all day long usage of sippy cups should be restricted as it may cause decay on the front and back portions of teeth, when the drinks are rich in sugar.
- Be careful about sweet medicines: Many medicines meant for children are sugary and stick to the teeth, increasing the chance of cavities. Several antibiotics cause overgrowth of Candida or yeast and cause an oral disease known as oral thrush. This disease causes creamy patches on the tongue. In case your child needs sweet medicines, brushing should be increased.
- Stop using a pacifier by the age of 2 or 3: Pacifiers are good for children, but using pacifiers for a long period of time affects the lining of teeth. The shape of the mouth may also change. Hence, do not let your child use pacifiers after 2 or 3 years of age.
Children are quite prone to teeth disorders and decay in the teeth. Hence, measures must be taken to protect the teeth of children from any kind of disorder.