Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Meenakshi Iyer
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Meenakshi IyerYour feedback matters!
Hi doc, I keep getting back pain on and off. It increases on sitting? Whenever I cough it increases. What shall I do? What shall I do?
I am 22 years old. I am clg student I have some problem. I have problem in my back suddenly pains some time it is uncontrolled so what can I do.
Mere mom ki left payears ki ghutno bohat card hai. Kavi kavi ghutna full jata hai. Chalne me taklif hota hai.
Hello doctor I'm anwar I'm a fast food cook I have started my job 8 years ags Daily I ll stand for more than 12 hrs I am suffering from leg pain But only a little bit I have to take precautions for my future So please let me know what precautions I have to take for my health in future Thank you
Hi My mother aged 75 years. No sugar no bp. Reasonably healthy. But few days back her back bone compressed while travelling. Dr. Advises 3 week bed rest. And advises wear back support belt. But after 3 days now she is still suffering back pain even after taking prescribed tab like nervigen, ultracet, tolpa d, d360, altraday. My quest is should she use back supporting belt while sleep or in bed. Or is it necessary to use belt till back ache healed. How long it may take my mother to walk with in home? now she can't even sit. Can it be curable in home. Or else should I have to admit to hospital. Please answer immediately.
Pain at lower back right side extends up to ankles at times. While on lie down position pain relieves. Last two months problem. External medication gives temporary relief. Please advise.
The core muscles, mainly concentrated around the abdomen, hips, lower back, trunk, and glutes, are indeed a powerhouse that gets you going. The stronger the core muscles, the fitter you stay. Without a proper core strength, a lot of the day to day activities including lifting or bending gets affected. Certain health conditions can weaken the core muscles. But how to know if the core muscles are weak? There are many signs and symptoms associated with weak core muscles.
Mentioned below are some important signs that may be an indication of weak core muscles.
- For your posture to be correct, the spine and pelvis need to be stable: The muscles of the lower back and the abdomen does exactly that, ensuring a steady and correct posture. However, when the core muscles weaken, they are unable to provide stability to the spine and the pelvis resulting in a poor posture. Left unattended, poor posture, in turn, can trigger a myriad of complications and discomfort.
- The body loses its balance: As already mentioned, the core muscles go a long way in stabilizing the body and helping you to maintain the body balance. You can perform a small test to know if your balance is affected. Close your eyes and stand on one foot. Repeat the procedure with the other foot as well. If you have a developed core, you will be able to hold the position for at least 10 seconds, if not more (both the legs).
- A pain concentrated to the lower back: Do not ignore a lower back pain. It could be an indication of your core muscles not being strong enough, especially the ones adjacent to the spine. The weak muscles fail to provide the necessary support to the discs and the vertebrae resulting in pain (mild to severe depending on the severity of the condition) and discomfort. Timely medical intervention may help improve the condition.
- Weakness throughout the body: The strong core muscles are an indication of a healthy and fit body. When the muscles start to lose its strength, the entire body gets affected. A person finds it difficult to even lift things. Doing even a small and regular work leaves a person weak and tired.
- You can also perform the Hollowing Test to check your core strength: Sit in a comfortable position. Starting breathing in and out. As you breathe out or exhale, try to pull your stomach inwards towards the spine for at least 10 seconds. Unable to pass this test (can't hold the position for 10 seconds) indicates weak core muscles.
- You can also try the plank test: Get yourself in a push-up position with the entire body resting on your elbows, arms, and toes. The hip should be level and steady. Failing to stay in this position for 50 seconds is indicative of weak core muscles.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!