Find numerous Nephrologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Nephrologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Martin D'souza
Submit a review for Dr. Martin D'souzaYour feedback matters!
Dr surbhi agrawal
consultant physician, diabetologist and wellness expert
Kegel exercises are designed to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. These
muscles support the bladder and bowel openings in both men and women.
Strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor can aid in preventing leakage of
urine or feces with coughing, sneezing, lifting, and other stressful movements.
Other benefits of kegels include enhanced sexual function, conditioned muscles
to make childbirth easier, decrease and/or prevent prolapse of pelvic organs,
and improve the ability to pass stool.
Who should do Kegel Exercises?
? Women and men with urinary and /or bowel incontinence
? Women and men who have demonstrated weakening of the pelvic floor
? Pregnant women or women who have previously had children
? Middle aged and older women
What you need to know about Kegel Exercises
The success of Kegel exercises depends on the use of proper technique as well
as compliance to a regular exercise program. When doing the exercises, it is
important to identify the correct muscles of the pelvic floor. At first, most
people contract the abdominal or thigh muscles while neglecting the pelvic
floor muscles. This may actually worsen pelvic floor tone and incontinence.
Kegels may be done as a part of biofeedback, when some patients require
assistance. Biofeedback consists of placing a sensor on the abdomen and
around the anal area, which measure the contraction of the pelvic floor
muscles. Occasionally, an electrode may be placed in the vagina in women, or
in the rectum in men.
Three Steps to an Effective Kegel
? Learn to tighten the muscles around the vaginal/anal area
? Contract the vaginal and rectal muscles. Note that when you perform
steps 1 and 2 correctly, you should also feel the muscles around the anus
tighten slightly. This is normal, but do not consciously try to tighten
? In a quiet, relaxed setting with no distractions, practice your Kegels and
determine how long you can hold your contraction and how many you
can do before becoming fatigued. Do not do more than 5-10 reps at time
with a 3-5 second hold.
Detailed Instructions on how to do Kegels:
Step #1: The urethra?The Functional Stop Test
After partially emptying your bladder, stop your urine flow in a slow controlled
manner, paying attention to how it feels.
Note: Stopping and starting the urine repeatedly as an exercise can be harmful
and should not be done. Holding your urine can contribute to bladder
infection, causing damage to normal urinary reflexes. The Functional Stop Test
is useful for assessing what it feels like to gradually stop urine flow, and should
not be done more than once per urination.
Step #2: The vagina and rectum as your window to the pelvic floor
For this step, you will internally assess the ability to squeeze and elevate the
muscles around the opening of the vagina or rectum, while lying on your back.
This is accomplished by inserting one finger into the vaginal or rectal opening
while you try to lift and squeeze with the muscles. Pay attention to how this feels.
Step #3: Putting it all together
Begin practicing while lying on your back with your knees bent, or lying back
with pillows under your head and shoulders. When your knees are bent you
should have pillows under them so that the muscles around the hips and
buttocks can relax. In this position, you can practice the actual Kegel, which
involves lifting and tightening the pelvic floor all at one time. This will be a
combination of what you felt when you gradually stopped urine flow, with the
feeling squeezing and elevating the muscles around the vaginal or rectal area.
How long and how many?
When you are first starting out, it is common to find that you can only hold a
Kegel for 3-6 seconds, and that performing 3-6 repetitions causes muscle
fatigue. When this happens, you are usually performing the exercise correctly.
If you find you can hold it for much longer right away, recheck your technique.
For patients with incontinence or pelvic floor weakness, it is important to
concentrate on correctly performing the technique and gradually improving the
muscle quality and tone, even though you may be weak first starting out.
Making Kegels a part of your life
After you have become experienced in performing these exercises, you will
want to do them as follows:
? A series of strong, steady squeezes for 8-10 seconds each ? Try to do 8-10 at a time
? For most people, 30 repetitions per day are adequate.
As they get easier, you will find you can do them while sitting or standing, for
example, you can do them while driving, working on the computer, or waiting in
Please note that you may not see any noticeable change in bowel / bladder
control for a while. In some cases it may be many months.
A rolling stone may gather no moss, but a kidney or renal stone can cause a lot of pain! As a matter of fact, the pain is quite common as statistics say that 10% of women and 20% of men have experienced this painful issue at some point in their lives.
Ayurvedic solutions to treat renal stones are quite effective. As a matter of fact, a lot of the treatment is customised to suit the case at hand. This makes this ancient system of medicine more effective and works in such a way that those suffering from renal stones are able to get out of pain quite sooner than they would have normally expected, had they she followed the course of conventional medicine.
Following the Ayurvedic diet
- It is to be noted that changes to a person’s food and liquid consumption, when it comes to following the Ayurvedic course of treatment for renal stones, is part and parcel of the treatment. Some of the things that a person who makes the choice to follow this form of treatment can expect to find in his or her diet include ash gourd juice along with the trunk of the banana tree as well as coconut flower. Quite exotic indeed! It can be said that if a person makes the effort to adhere to the diet which is set out by his or her Ayurvedic consultant, he or she will be expediting his or her return to the pink of health.
- One of the most elementary things which is to be done by a person who either has renal stones or is at a threat of having renal stones is to make sure that they are well hydrated. While five glasses of water are often considered by many to be sufficient, a person who has eight goes the proverbial extra mile to make sure that he or she is cutting the risk of being affected by renal stones.
- Talking about liquids to be consumed, it can be said that a glass of the juice of radish leaves can make a big difference, if the frequency of the consumption of the same is maintained at two glasses a day, in a consistent manner.
In addition to this, incorporating fruits such as watermelon into the diet of a person can really go a long way. By moving away from a diet rich in oily food, you will be doing yourself a big favour.
My mom recently started doing urine in her bed only. Mostly it happens in the night when she is asleep. Sometimes in day also when she is sleeping. Also to mention when she is awake she remembers to do the urine in bathroom.
Hi doctor, please let me know is there any treatment for kidney failure apart from dialysis and transplant. My creatinine is 7. 4.
My brother is 12 now but he still is wetting his bed. What is the problem why is he still bedwetting? What is the cure?
I am a 21 year old male. Over the past three months whenever I urinate, my urine stream splits in two (one continuous stream and one stream which is basically drops of urine.) Is there something wrong? And if there is something wrong, it's treatment may include surgery?
Hi. I Go for The Urine Test. But It Is Totally Ok. In starting There is some dots& lase. Kindly It impact On My marriage life Next. Kindly tell me some medicine for this twice.
Sir, I go to toilet 5-6 time in one day. What types disease indication. But am suffering for PILES. I am doubt this type indication to COLON Cancer. More time go to toilet symptoms of cancer. Mere ko doubt hai ki toilet ki nali me cancer to nahi hua hai. Kyonki har 4 hrs me toilet lagta hai. please help me sir.
I am suffering from borderline hepatomegaly, kidney stone and I feel very much pain in my left upper abdomen.
I am Having a sudden forceful urge to must urinate. If held back dripping starts. I am healthy taking no medicine and 67+ years old. Is it a sign of Prostrate Enlargement? Any natural remedial measure?
Doctor sahib, I am 58 years old male having high urinating problem. I drink much water too but I need to urinate after every 30-40 minutes. Once I drink water than feel to urinate imm. I feeling this problem since long. Pls inform what is this problem and how to stop this Everytime urinating problem.
Treatment for Kidney stones varies depending on the size and type of the stone or the symptoms caused by it. In case of small stones, medication and simple changes in lifestyle can be enough to treat it, but surgeries and extensive treatments are required if symptoms are severe. Following are treatment options for kidney stones:
Small stones with minimal symptoms:
- Drinking water: Drinking around 3 liters of water a day will regulate your urinary system and can effectively eliminate small stones. Unless your doctor advices otherwise, drinking ample amount of fluids, usually water, is one of the commonest way to get rid of small kidney stones.
- Pain relievers: There might be a considerable amount of pain and discomfort associated with passing the stone through urine. Your doctor may recommend pain killers like Ibuprofen, Naproxen sodium or acetaminophen.
- Medical therapy: In order to eliminate the kidney stone, your doctor may administer medical therapy. Medication like alpha blocker helps in passing the kidney stone with least pain and more quickly. It relaxes the muscles in the ureter and makes the process relatively easy.
Large stones with severe symptoms:
- Using sound waves to break up stones: In this technique, a procedure called Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL), is employed. ESWL uses the help of sound waves to create vibrations which breaks the stones in smaller pieces. This procedure takes about an hour and can cause mild pain and discomfort. Your doctor may administer sedatives to reduce your sensitivity. ESWL has side effects like blood in urine or bruising in the abdomen.
- Surgical removal of kidney stones: Surgical removal of stones is done with the help of a procedure called nephrolithotomy. It uses small telescopes and other instruments which are inserted in your back through a small incision. It is generally done in case of large stones and when ESWL fails.
- Ureteric Calculi (Using a scope to remove stones): A thin illuminated tube called ureteroscope is used to remove a comparatively smaller stone in the kidney or ureter. The ureteroscope is equipped with a tiny camera which determines the location of the stone which is then broken into pieces with the help of other instruments. It may require general or regional anesthesia.
Related Tip: "Kidney Stones and Your Diet"