Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Mansi PatelYour feedback matters!
An obvious gap between the teeth may be caused due to a condition known as Diastema. This usually manifests as space between two teeth. This condition is caused due to a mismatch between the size of the bones in the jaw and the size of the teeth. This in turn, gives rise to extra space between the two teeth and may also lead to overcrowding of teeth in the mouth. The space usually occurs when the teeth are too small and the jaw is larger. Also, an oversized tissue known as the labial frenum can cause a gap between two teeth. Let us look at the ways in which this condition can be prevented and treated.
1. Prevention: Not pushing your tongue between the teeth during the teeth growing stage can ensure that this condition does not occur. Children tend to rub their tongue along the jawline when the teeth are growing, whether it is the milk teeth or the permanent ones. This can cause a gap. Also, maintaining good oral health and hygiene can help in preventing this condition. One must brush at least twice a day and floss regularly too, in order to ensure that the gap between the two teeth does not widen.
2. Orthodontic Treatment: Braces are one of the most common ways of fixing this problem. The orthodontic surgeon will usually install these braces, which will remain in the mouth of the patient for a year or more, depending on the severity of the condition. On a monthly basis, the braces will need to be tightened so that the jaw can facilitate the movement of the teeth to close the gap.
3. Tooth Extraction: In many cases, when the braces are installed, the doctor may also have to remove or extract teeth on the sides to make space for the teeth and their movement. This is usually done when there is a related ailment like overcrowding of the teeth.
4. Crowns and other Dental Installations: Crowns, veneers as well as bonding can help in cases where the lateral incisors may be smaller than what is normal. Also, dental implants or a bridge or even a partial denture may be required in cases where extensive dentistry will be called for.
5. Frenectomy: This surgery can help in closing the gap formed by a large labial frenum.
6. Gum Health: In case there is an infection or any other problem in the gums due to implants or braces, the gum health will have to treated and restored first and then the implants or braces can be reinstalled.
One should also wear retainers for a while after the gap has closed so that it does not appear again.
I have serious pain in both the extreme corners of my mouth. Kindly tell me the methods to reduce the pain,
This is the most frequently asked question whenever we suggest teeth cleaning. Let me try and clear some misconceptions
Scaling and polishing is professional cleaning of ur teeth. We remove the plaque and tartar ( yellowish white , brownish, blackish deposit on inner side of ur lower teeth)
How will cleaning help you?
For patients it is stoppage of bleeding gums and foul smell. But doctors advice cleaning as more of a preventive treatment rather than curative treatment. Cleaning of teeth will prevent inflammation of gums ( hence no bleeding gums) and bone loss (hence preventing loosening of teeth)
Is cleaning painful?
it cannot be termed painful. U can say causing a bit discomfort but easily bearable by all.
What to expect after u have undergone cleaning of teeth?
1. No bleeding gums
2. Considerable reduction In foul smell
3. U will feel mouth is much lighter
On the downside u will feel
1. Spacing in between ur teeth has increased ( it is not actually the spacing that has increased, but removal of tartar in between ur teeth gives u the feeling that gap has increased)
2.Teeth become sensitive ( it is because a lot of tartar is removed which leaves ur root of teeth exposed to oral cavity. It usually subsides gradually within 15 days)
3. Inner surface of ur lower teeth are rough. ( it is because tartar may not be completely removed from those surfaces. Roughness is felt for 2-3 days only)
4.Lower front four and upper two teeth are sensitive while cleaning of teeth ( it is because those teeth are relatively smaller and less thickness of enamel. Hence vibrations are felt in dentin and hence sensitivity)
As a dentist I would advice to undergo cleaning every 6 monthly.
If not 6 monthly then
1. Whenever u spot yellowish white deposits on inner side of ur lower front teeth
2 . If u Hv bleeding gums
3. If u Hv smelly mouth
4. If u Hv gum problems.
5. If u feel ur teeth are loosening.
Remember it is a preventive treatment. More u neglect , more irreparable damage it causes.
Hope it was helpful . Good day