Find numerous Neurologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Assistive Walking Device Training
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Brain Suite Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Cerebral Vascular Surgery
Csf Rhinorrhoea Repair Procedure
Decompression Microvascular Surgery
Deep Brain Stimulation Procedure
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Paralysis
Submit a review for Dr. Manoj RajaniYour feedback matters!
Epilepsy is a neurological disease which is characterised by recurring epileptic seizures. These seizures can be brief or can persist for prolonged periods. Vigorous episodes which last long can result in physical injuries such as broken bones. Mention that 6th February is International epilepsy day.
Causes of Epilepsy
The cause of this condition isn’t very evident; however, most medical practitioners attribute epileptic seizures to brain tumours, injury, infections in the brain or birth defects. Some doctors believe that epilepsy is caused due to genetic mutations and is an outcome of abnormal activity of cells in the brain. Other causes for this condition can be alcohol or narcotics withdrawal and electrolyte problems.
- Repeated seizures
- Impaired memory
- Bouts of fainting
- Short spans of blackout
- Sudden bouts of blinking and chewing
- Inappropriate repetitive movements
Types of Seizures
A seizure, also known as fit, is usually a brief episode characterised by uncontrollable jerking movement and loss of awareness due to abnormal neuronal activity in your brain. A collective occurrence of these seizures causes epilepsy.
There are three types of seizures an epileptic person usually encounters.
- Idiopathic: This kind of seizure has no apparent cause
- Cryptogenic: The doctors believe that there is a cause for the seizure but cannot detect it
- Symptomatic: These seizures occur due to a reason.
- Medication: Medication is the most common treatment in case of epilepsy. Drugs taken on a regular basis can stop the seizure partially. But in very severe cases, they seem to have no effect at all.
- Surgery: For symptomatic seizures which are caused due to abnormal brain function, surgery can be a way to get rid of seizures. In some minor cases, nerve stimulation in the brain and special diets can be prescribed to control the epileptic seizures.
Five facts about epilepsy you need to know:
- Epilepsy is not psychosis or madness and can be treated easily
- Popular celebraties with epilepsy include Aristotle, Alfred Nobel, Alexander the great, Sir Isaacs Newton, Martin Luther and Julius Caesar etc
- Woman with epilepsy can have a normal pregnancy
- Newer medicines for epilepsy are effective and very safe
- Surgery can cure epilepsy in some patients
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a neurologist.
I have right hand pain I cannot judge my self weather is it cervical spondylitis or migraine. If it is cervical spondylitis means can I use the tablet called NAPROXEN 250 mg morning and night please doctor help me. If use this tab means l have relief from this pain. M R I is done in that report Mild antenorthical has identification c3-c4, c4-c5, c5-c6. Thank you.
I met with an accident in 2012 and in that accident the calcanious bone was fractured after operation one week later it got infected and gangarin developed in my feet so doctor removed the infected calcanious bone and all the infected tissues from my feet and after that they have done skin transplant in the feet by taking skin from the thigh to cover the open wound now it is completely covered and healed but my problem is there is no flesh in feet around the calcanious bone region only skin is there over the feet bone so I can't give any pressure on my right foot and cannot walk in bare foot, even don't have sensation in that area also. I walk now although I limp with the help of applying soft silicon gel in my sock and wearing shoe but always had a fear that my skin in lower feet will be damaged or get cut while walking and I won't be able to know as I dnt have sensation in that area as it happened 2-3 times earlier also and then the slight cut took weeks to heal also and by that time I couldn't wear anything on my feet so that it will dry up and heal. Now I want to know is there any permanent solution through any further surgery possible so that I will have sensation in my feet back and can walk without any fear.
My wife is suffering from chronic migrain. The trigger for this is stress. Presently she is taking betacap tr 40 tablets daily. 6 months back she has delivered a baby. What is the long term solution for this migrain.
She is having parkinson. She feels like her brain is very tired and weak. What she should take along with parkinson's medicines to supplement brain?
Soon after I get up my nerves become heavy, I feel mentally tired, I dont have any other disease. I feel some bubbles bursting sound in my mind. Which medicine should I take?
Two years back, I got my nerves blocked in the region between neck and shoulder. Doctor prescribed me to take MRI scan. But I did not. Please suggests me so that to overcome the pain. Should I get to take an operation for this? Please help me.
Hi There, from last 1 year I am feeling little heavy in the left side I am afraid it might be a Brian tumor please guide me further I really doubt it but I tried to search about brain tumor on the internet but symptoms do not really match at all and also suffer from anxiety, fears from last few years is there a chance I am feeling heavy because of anxiety or there might be some specific problem? Please Help.
I have pain in left side vain of brain. This pain is connecting with left eyes. This pain became anytime of week. Please suggestion.
I have been suffering from fever since yesterday and also feel headache and shivering. What to do? Please help me.
I m suffering from migraine and I have stopped taking medicine should I start taking medicine though my headache is severe. please tell me the precautions I should take and the remedies?
Brain surgery involves several medical procedures, which incorporate fixing issues with the brain, including changes in the tissues of the brain, cerebrospinal fluid and brain blood flow. Brain surgery is quite a complicated method of surgery and the type of surgery to be conducted depends on the underlying conditions.
Reasons for Brain Surgery:
Brain surgery is performed for the correction of physical brain abnormalities. These abnormalities could occur because of diseases, birth defects and injuries. A brain surgery is required when the following conditions arise in the brain:
- Abnormal blood vessels
- Blood clots in the brain
- When the protective tissue or dura is damaged
- Due to nerve damage
- Parkinson's disease
- Any kind of pressure after an injury
- Skull fractures
- In case of stroke and tumors
A surgery may not be required for all the above mentioned conditions, but in case of many, a brain surgery is very important as the conditions may worsen health problems.
Types of brain surgeries:
- Craniotomy: During this open brain surgery, an incision is made in the scalp, and a hole is created in the skull, near the area, which is being treated. After this process is complete, the hole or bone flap is secured in its place using plates or wires.
- Biopsy: This form of brain surgery helps in the removal of a small amount of brain tissues or tumors. After removal, the tissues or tumors are examined under a microscope. The creation of a small incision and a hole in the skull is indicated as a part of this process.
- Minimally invasive endonasal endoscopic surgery: This form of brain surgery enables the removal or lesions and tumors via the nose and sinuses. Private parts of the brain can be accessed without creating an incision. An endoscope is utilized in the process which is used to examine tumors all across the brain.
- Minimally Invasive neuroendoscopy: This process is similar to the minimally invasive endonasal endoscopic surgery. This method also involves the use of an endoscope for removal of brain tumors. Small, dime sized holes may be made in the skull to access some brain parts.
Brain surgeries may be associated with several risks. They may be:
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia
- Blood clot formations
- Swelling of the brain
- A state of coma
- Impairment in speech, coordination and vision.
- Problems in memory
- Strokes and seizures
- Infections in the brain
A brain surgery is a serious and very complex surgery. There are different kinds of brain surgeries, which are conducted depending on the condition and severity of the disease.