Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. Mahesh JainYour feedback matters!
I m facing a little problem. I have red eyes for 2days. I used Olopat Od twice a day but nothing happened. What should I do?
Sir, how to strengthen our eyes naturally. Because I will play too much mobile. Please tell some eye exercises and natural treatments which can be given at home.
Hi I am getting headache as I was working mostly with system some times my eyes are watering sometimes. Can you show any solution for this.
How should I care my eyes? I am using laptops very frequently for some reason about 1 year. I have to use the laptops only for 1 year. So I have to take care about my eyes.
Im 19 years old and my eyes are too weak, my eye power is -7 on left and -6.5 in right, so can I improve my eyesight naturally or any medicines? Or surgery is the only last hope?
I suddenly have irritation in my right eye but not all the time. It becomes light red at one corner of my eye.
I have yellow eyes since 4 years. It is light yellow. When I take bath after some time goes red. After some time it goes in yellow position.
I am 28 years old. I have problem with long site I hv started using specs since jan 2016. But I have getting problem from this month that my eyes getting too much. Is there any problem?
Hi doc I developed a red spot in d white portion of my eye. Today mor. I take high bp medicine daily cz I hv high bp. Is d.
I am 33 year old when I look at moon during the night time it appears to me as though there are two moons in the sky. what it is related to?
What are the symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis and how can we prevent it from spreading from one person to another.
Sir may I know how can we reduce eye sight, though I am using specs in future I want to reduce using specs.
My eyes is paining from inside including my head andiys paining since three year so what should I do.
Macular Degeneration is an age-related macular degeneration incurable eye disease, which might result in blurred vision or no vision in the centre of the vision field, which might lead to visual distortions, reduced central vision, decreased intensity of the colours and can make it difficult for the patient to recognize faces, read, drive and to perform other activities.
Types of Macular Degeneration
1. Dry Macular Degeneration: It is characterized by the presence of drusen and thinning of macula because of a breakdown or thinning of the layer of retinal pigment epithelial cells in the macula.
2. Wet macular degeneration: In this type of AMD, there is an excessive growth of blood vessels, which causes bleeding, leakage, as well as scaring under the retina, which results in a rapid and severe loss of the central vision and might become permanent if not treated.
Causes of Age-related Macular Degeneration:
This is caused due to a problem related to the part of eye known as Macula, which is a spot at the centre of the retina of the eye. The focus point of the incoming ray of light is on Macula, which is responsible for see the things direct in front of us, especially reading and writing.
- Age: As the age increases, the probability of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration also increases significantly. The degree of the macular degeneration might vary person to person, but ageing is a major cause of suffering from age-related macular degeneration.
- Smoking: Smoking increases the chances of developing the disease in comparison to someone who does not smoke. The longer you have smoked, the more are the chances of developing it.
- Family History: The risk of developing the Age-related Macular Degeneration increases if it runs in your family, i.e. if your parents and siblings are suffering from it, then your chances of developing it are quite high as compared to the ones who do not have any family history.
- Obesity: The obese people have the higher chances of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration.
- Alcohol: Higher alcohol consumption also puts you at the risk of AMD, which is why one should always take alcohol in limited quantity only.
- Sunlight: As going out in sunlight without sunscreen is harmful to your skin, the same is harmful to your eyes for longer duration, and one should always wear UV-absorbing sunglasses to protect his eyes from AMD.
- Ethnicity: The white and Chinese are more prone to developing AMD as compared to the black people.
- Cardiovascular disease: The persons who have suffered diseases that affect the heart and other blood vessel are at higher risk of macular degeneration.
Treatment of Age-related Macular Degeneration
1. Anti-VEGF Drugs: The dry macular degeneration cannot be cured while the wet macular degeneration can be stabilized and maintained with a number of medical treatments to be injected into the eye, such as Lucentis, Avastin and Eylea. These are not long procedures and continued monitoring of the vision to maintain or improve the vision.
2. Laser photocoagulation: It consists of a concentrated beam of high energy thermal light that is directed towards the retina to obliterate and seal leaking blood vessels. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.