Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Mahesh AsherYour feedback matters!
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), also called hyperandrogenic anovulation (HA), or Stein?Leventhal syndrome, is one of the most common endocrinedisorders among women. PCOS has a diverse range of causes that are not entirely understood, but there is evidence that it is largely a genetic disease.
PCOS produces symptoms in approximately 5% to 10% of women of reproductive age (approximately 12 to 45 years old). It is thought to be one of the leading causes offemale subfertility and the most frequent endocrine problem in women of reproductive age. Finding that the ovaries appear polycystic on ultrasound is common, but it is not an absolute requirement in all definitions of the disorder.
The most common immediate symptoms are anovulation, excess androgenic hormones, and insulin resistance. Anovulation results in irregular menstruation,amenorrhea, and ovulation-related infertility. Hormone imbalance generally causes acne and hirsutism. Insulin resistance is associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes, andhigh cholesterol levels.The symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly among those affected.
PCOS is a heterogeneous disorder of uncertain cause.
The severity of PCOS symptoms appears to be largely determined by factors such as obesity.
PCOS has some aspects of a metabolic disorder, since its symptoms are partly reversible. Even though considered as a gynecological problem, PCOS consists of 28 clinical symptoms.
Even though the name suggests that the ovaries are the cornerstone of disease pathology, cysts are a symptom instead of the cause of the disease. Some symptoms of PCOS will persist even if both ovaries are removed; the disease can appear even if cysts are absent. Since its first description by Stein and Leventhal in 1935, the criteria of diagnosis, symptoms, and causative factors are subject to debate. Gynecologists often see it as a gynecological problem, with the ovaries being the primary organ affected. However, recent insights show a multisystem disorder, with the primary problem lying in hormonal regulation in the hypothalamus, with the involvement of many organs. The name PCOD is used when there is ultrasonographic evidence. The term PCOS is used since there is a wide spectrum of symptoms possible, and cysts in the ovaries are seen only in 15% of people.
PCOS may be related to or exacerbated by exposures during the prenatal period, epigenetic factors, environmental impacts (especially industrial endocrine disruptors such as bisphenol A and certain drugs) and the increasing rates of obesity.
Not everyone with PCOS has polycystic ovaries (PCO), nor does everyone with ovarian cysts have PCOS; although a pelvic ultrasound is a major diagnostic tool, it is not the only one.
DIET AND MANAGEMENT:
The primary treatments for PCOS include: lifestyle changes, medications and surgery.
Goals of treatment may be considered under four categories:
Lowering of insulin resistance levels
Restoration of fertility
Treatment of hirsutism or acne
Restoration of regular menstruation, and prevention of endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial cancer
General interventions that help to reduce weight or insulin resistance can be beneficial for all these aims, because they address what is believed to be the underlying cause.
As PCOS appears to cause significant emotional distress.
If you are overweight, weightloss may be all the treatment you need. A small amount of weight loss is likely to help balance your hormones and start up your menstrual cycle and ovulation.
Eat a balanced diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
Get regular exercise to help you control or lose weight and feel better.
If you smoke, consider quitting.
Modern science has no remedy for PCOS. They have been looking at Alternative therapies for treatment. The chinese system of medicine believe PCOS is coneected to the liver. Ayurveda believes that PCOS is a Kapha disease.
Homeopathy/Biochemistry is a complete system that can treat this system and help the woman realise her dream. Your homeopath/Biochemist will take a complete casetaking and will arrive at the right remedy after going through your symptoms. Some of the important remedies in PCOS are:
Apis mellifica, Aurum iodatum, Calcarea carbonica, Colocynthis, Kali bromicum, Phosphorus, Thuja occidentalis.
Doctor sahab my baby is not gaining weight properly or not eating anything is the one of the major complain in any parenting forum and in my clinic also. This blog is dedicated to those parents who always concerned about baby weight. I will try to cover all step by step. This post is only for exclusive breast feeding baby means below 6 months of age baby. At birth baby weight should be approximately 3kg or more than that. Less than 2.5 kg is low birth weight. Babies lost there weight in initial days and regain there birth weigh around 10th to 14 th day of life. In first 3 months growth rate is approximately 25 to 30 gm per day after that it will increase @ 400 gms per month till 1 year. Weight will double at 5 months and triple at 1 year. Usually we compare our baby weight with others and get frustrated our baby is not healthy. We expect chubby photogenic baby. So here I will try to explain the whole story.
Let's start from the very beginning the story start the day we decide to have a baby. Maternal nutritional status and medical fitness have a mojour role. Single infection can cause low birth weight baby or preterm. In us dental infection is one of the majour cause of preterm baby. We adviced to consult couples before and after pregnancy for any problem. You can have folic acid 3monthes before concepction. Mother, short interval of previous pregnancy, maternal hemoglobin level, nutritional status, high bp (pih, viral infection, bleeding per vaginal, chromosomal abnormalities can be cause of low birth wight, prematuered or iugr baby. Women should have healthy food, do some light exercise and try to live stress free life.
In second part of story baby born with certain weight and maturity. Weight less than 2.5 kg is low birth weight and birth before 37 weeks called premature baby. Baby weight gain is mostly affected by recurrent infection and feeding and temperature for initial days.
Too hot or too cold weather can affect weight. Try to wear one extra clothes what we are wearing like if we are comfortable in half shirt we can wear him full shirt or if we are comfortable in full shirt we can wear him a half sweater more. In winter we have wear him cap and shocks but in summer only cotton jhabla is sufficient.
New born babies had low immunity so chances of infection is much more. To prevent infection you should remember these things
- try to touch baby after hand wash and try to not touch the above the wrist joint. We touch by infected hand and baby keep the same hand in his mouth get stomach infection.
- don't give any antibiotics without without consulting doctor and complete full course of antibiotics
- immunize your child as per schedule.
- avoid bottle feed if possible and if you are using it should be properly sterilized.
Exclusive breast feeding is adviced till 6 months. There is either problem in milk production and ejection or technique of feeding.
- Milk production and ejection: Milk production is controlled by prolactin harmone. For most part of milk production is use it or loose it process. The more often baby nurse the more milk you make. Oxytocin harmone is responsible for milk ejection. Suckling, thought of the baby, sound and sight of
- Baby stimulate milk ejection: Stress is the major suppress of milk ejection. Plenty of water, milk, apricot, poppy seed, papaya, oatmeal, carrot, bottle ground, funnel seed, basal leaf, can be used to augmentation of milk production.
- Breast feeding: Proper positioning and attachment is necessary for successful breast feeding. Try to feed baby with one breast at a time so baby can get for milk and hind milk both. For flat or inverted nipple can be corrected by syringing method. Tounge tie or fungal infection can be cause of improper feeding. Feed your baby on demand or every 2hr. If baby satisfied he should sleep 2 to 3 hrs after feeding, passes 6 to 8 time urine. 5 to10 min sufficient for feeding if your baby takes half an hour means you had less milk production. Initial 3monthes feeding frequency8 to10 times day after 7 to 8 times a day may be sufficient.
- Condition related to baby: For preterm and low birth weight kangaroo mother care is very useful. Where baby is kept in vertical position between the mother breast under the clothes so both skin can be in touch. You have to keep baby at least 1 to 2 hrs in a single sitting and as long as you can. It helping milk production and weight gain of baby. Repeated infection of respiratory tract, stomach infection, urinary tract infection, some congenital infection, metabolic disorder may cause slow weight gain. Neurological insult during delivery may cause slow weight gain with delayed mile stones.
- Motherhood is a great honor and privilage: It is the most challenging and utmost satisfying job, and as in every job first year is most difficult one with less paying with no vacation. As a man we never understand these things. So big salaute to those moms who day and night care there baby and wish best of luck.
I am a 32 years female facing pus like discharge with itching on vagina. Is this serious and will I be able to get pregnant ?
Hi Experts, Need your help. In early pregnancy stage if anybody vomits more and more then is it mandatory to take medicine or it is normal thing in this stage. And if we have pain when vomits can we take dolo tablet? Please share your suggestions on the same. Thanks in advance,
I aborted 5 weeks pregnancy with misoprostol tabs on feb 8th 2017 after 10 days I took the ultrasound the result was sac and pregnancy substances are all cleared but I didn't get my next period evn after 5 weeks so I doctor suggested me to take primolut-N 9 tablets for three days thrice (1-1-1) so I started taking tab on 17th night and stopped on 20th afternoon have completed 9 tablets. After stopping the tablets its my 3rd day still I didn't get my periods im too much worried that is there any chances that still im carrying? Need a urgent advise. Help me out!
My wife is now 6 months pregnant.in 5th month she has a 3 lymphadenitis on her neck .Please advise the treatment we went for biopsy ,is there any treatment for this.
I am 25 female. In the month of january I gave birth to a baby girl. And she is three months now. I was in physical contact with my husband. From two to three weeks on wards im getting few time spotting nausea headache weakness cramping and pain in my lower abdomen during in contact with my husband. Is this happens after delivery or is it signs of another pregnancy?
5 diet and fitness tips for busy people
Vigorous exercise is important. However, if your hectic schedule leaves you with no time to hit the gym, you can try integrating some activity in the course of the day for increasing your productivity and staying fit.
- Take a walk when you are conversing on the phone.
- Instead of the lift, take the stairs.
- Take short breaks and step away from workstation.
- Workouts at home, such as sit-ups, push-ups, crunches, lunges and squats, keep you in shape.
- Eat healthy and on time
Foods which are low in nutritional value and have too many calories can pose serious health problems, including weight gain, cardiovascular problems and diabetes. It is important to stick to a healthy diet and a strict routine.
- Instead of starchy foods, choose wholegrain variants which contain more fibre, and keep you feeling full.
- Feel like snacking in the middle of the day? stock up on nuts and seeds or citrus fruits that are known to cure fatigue and stimulate alertness.
- To keep your energy up and your metabolism on overdrive, eat breakfast and smaller meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big meals.
- Have sufficient liquids through the day to avoid dehydration.
Avoid processed or packaged foods that contain too much sugar. Excess sugar has been linked to energy spikes followed by a crash, while too much salt can lead to high blood pressure and an increased risk of strokes and heart disease.
- Sleep is important
Finding it difficult to get a good night’s sleep? sleep deprivation can lead to fatigue, confusion, memory lapses and irritability.
To get a restful sleep:
- Create a sleep schedule and stick to it. Reading a book, listening to relaxing music, or taking a warm shower can help in relaxing your body.
- Avoid watching tv or surfing on your mobile as this can interfere with your sleep.
- Pay attention to what you eat and drink. Going to bed hungry or stuffing yourself too much can cause discomfort and keep you awake.
- Focus on deep breathing
When you are trying to juggle multiple things at a time, you are bound to be stressed. Five to ten minutes of deep breathing can help in relaxing you and reducing anxiety.
You can also close your eyes and focus on relaxing and tensing each muscle group while taking deep, slow breaths. The best part about this is that you can do it any time, at home, workplace or even on the road.
- Watch your posture
Good posture is not just great for your back and neck, but also allows you to breathe properly and increases concentration and thinking ability. To improve your posture:
My m.c is not regular. Sometime it comes right time. Some time it take 2 month and three month. My weight is also gaining. Please tell me what can I do. Can this problem is solve by medicine. Then tell me medicine name please
I had my period on the 16th. I had unprotected sex on the 20th and the 26th. What are the chances I'm pregnant.
My periods had been very irregular. I had unprotected sex, which was sex for the first time on 15th December. There was no ejaculation though. Still I had Ipill with in 3 hours. The last time I was on period was 22nd November as my periods are very irregular my period tracker suggested that 18th December was my evaluation date. Should I fear of getting pregnant?
Hi doctor I am 26years old my height is 5'2 and my weight is 53. I am planning for. Baby I have irregular period problem it's come after 45 or 60 days or 30days also. What should I do for happy pregnancy. Mera weight to thik Hai na? Aur please doctor Mujhe btaiye ki ki Mai kai jaldi conceive kru? I already started folic acid tab. Aur iss month mera period miss hua Hai. Maine pregnancy test Bhi kiya negative Hai Aur Mujhe urine infection jaisa lag raha Hai. It's sign of pregnancy?
Hello doctors please help me I am worried. In january my period is start on 6 jan and finish oh 13 first 4 days have heavy flow and then slow. I had unprotected sex on 16 jan amd I took unwanted 72 on 17 jan within 23-24 hours. And on 29 jan I feel spotting and then bleeding with little clots its not heavy like my monthly periods but also not spotting its for 4-5 days first 2 days are normal bleeding and then spotting. My expected date of period is 6 february but my periods are delayed. I am bleeding on 9 feb but its not heavy like my monthly periods but also not spotting. I am very tensed. Please help me. Is there any chance of pregnancy? Am I pregnant? Please answer me.
She is 27. During her menstrual cycle she feels immense pain in her abdomen area. Kind of muscle contraction. 1st day she vomits around 6 times a day. 2nd and 3rd day vomiting stops but 2nd day she experiences pain. 3rd day is fine. Every month she is experiencing this. Is it normal to have that much pain? Can the pain be medically lightened? Pls advice for medicines if possible. She takes homeopathy treatment but the doctor is not able to give the remedy yet. Thank you in advance.
I had unprotected sex with my husband on Nov 17th and I took postpone 72 on 18th. Then I got early periods Nov 24 th to 29th. But my last periods date Nov 7th to 13th. This Dec I didn't get periods till now. Any chance of pregnancy? When will I get my periods? please help me.
- Iron is a major component of hemoglobin that carries oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Women need more iron than men to makeup for the amount of iron they lose in their menstrual period.
- Iron deficiency is the most common nutrient deficiency in women. Insufficient iron can lead to anaemia. Common symptoms of anaemia include tiredness and breathlessness. Iron is especially important during pregnancy.
- Iron absorption can be impaired by alcohol, the tannic acid in tea,etc. Hence avoid drinking tea while consuming any iron source food.
- Sources of iron: Red meat, chicken and fish, Fortified cereals, nuts, leafy green vegetables.
- Role of Vitamin C: Drinking citrus juice or eating other foods rich in vitamin C at the same time that you eat high-iron foods, enhances the iron absorption.
- Vitamin C food sources: Broccoli, Kiwi, Leafy greens,Oranges,Tomatoes, etc.