Find numerous Nephrologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Nephrologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. M. R. MerchantYour feedback matters!
My prostate wall is thicker than normal and doctors say it needs surgery, when I pass urine it sprays many stream, this is the only difficulty I face, please tell me whether my doctors are right,
I have stones in both kidney size of 11mm max and 6 mm min totally 4.2 in both kidney please suggest shall I go for operation or medicines.
Sugar since 20 years and pressure also 150/80. Sugar 180 ppbs. Her serum creatinine 2.80.and heart heavy problem. Back pain hemoglobin 7.80.so wick I am worried about her health. Serum creatinine problem last to years whom I consult and which type of medical report suddenly do? I am about her kidneys. Local doctors give treatment but nothing changes.
As we all are aware that waste products in the blood are passed through urine. This filtering process is done by the kidneys as it separates the waste products including minerals and salts, which have to be passed out through urine. Many times, these minerals and salts get stuck in your urinary tract and over a long period, this forms kidney stones. They can vary in size from a ping pong ball to the size of a sugar crystal. They are not noticed till the time they cause a blockage. Sometimes, they cause immense pain if they start breaking or are pushed into the ureters (narrow ducts which lead to the bladder).
Symptoms of kidney stones:
1. Immense pain in the groin, belly and back.
2. Pain while urinating and urination occurring frequently.
3. Blood found in the urine (haematuria).
4. Vomiting and nausea.
5. Feeling extremely restless and not being able to lie still.
Kidney stones can also cause a kidney infection. Signs of kidney infection include:
Kidney stones can also cause infection in the kidneys as they block the passage of urine to the bladder by blocking the ureters. This leads to build up of the waste product which can result in an infection. Some of the symptoms of kidney infections could be:
1. Feeling chilly and shivering on your skin.
2. High temperature of 100.4 F (38C) or more.
3. A feeling of fatigue or weakness.
4. Immense diarrhea
5. Bad smelling and cloudy urine.
Types of Kidney stones:
1. Struvite stones: It contains ammonia and magnesium. It is usually quite large and horn- shaped.
2. Uric acid stones: Brown, smooth and softer than other kinds of kidney stones.
3. Cystine stones: They are yellow and don’t look like stones. They usually resemble crystal.
4. Calcium stones: It is composed of calcium.
What causes kidney stones?
Kidney stones can occur due to several factors. It usually forms when urine generally contains crystal substances like uric acid, calcium and oxalate. Your urine might not be able to dilute these substances resulting in the perfect environment for the formation of kidney stones. In case you are showing any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should visit you doctor immediately before the problem can worsen.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult the doctor and ask a free question.
Hello Doctor, I am 35 year old. Since five year I am suffering from UTI. I went to several hospital but doctors did not find anything wrong. please tell me what is the cause of this infection.
What is urinal retention? Could be it because of meatal stenosis? How meatal stenosis can be identified? If im unable to focus urine stream, could it be meatal stenosis?
I have kidney stone problem. And it happens very often. Also. Urine infection. In this case what should I do.? And serve headache.
Dear Sir / ma'am. I have 1 big problem. When I done urine or sex I feel some portion in left in my parts. And I feel that after it come out automatically. I feel some urine or sperm get stuck. Kindly suggest me what I need to do.
Check out how you can keep your pair of kidneys functional right until you need them:
1) Increase Fluid Intake: No.1 reason for kidney stones/problems is not drinking enough water. When your fluid intake is low, it puts extra work load on the kidneys to pass toxins. Similarly excessive alcohol intake leads to dehydration and puts pressure on your kidneys making them age earlier.
2) Cut Back On Salt: Salt is anti-kidneys. If you have any chronic problem, try to aim for less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each day.
3) Empty Your Bladder: Do not keep urine stored in bladder for too long. It majorly affects the functioning of kidneys.
4) Check On Chronic Problems: Manage your diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease well. These have direct impact on Kidneys, esp. Your cholesterol levels, sugar levels and blood pressure. Having high cholesterol, especially if you have diabetes, puts you more at risk for kidney disease, heart disease and stroke.
5) Balance your Physical Health: Keep your body active to keep organs such as kidneys in good functioning. Do at least 15 min of cardio exercises daily. Also, get sufficient rest for your body.
Click on consult privately to ask me any follow-up questions on this.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones.
My husband got fever again n again we did urine test on n which pus cell are 30-50hpf and RBC 5-10 .Is it serious what should we do? He is 31 year.
Kidneys and Kidney Diseases
The kidneys are organs which aim to filter out huge amounts of blood to produce 1-2 quarts of urine. They also perform the task of filtering out the excessive waste materials from the blood stream.
However, there can be cases when infection enters your bloodstream and affects your kidneys. This can cause serious kidney diseases such as cysts, stones and cancer.
Diabetes: What is it and how does it affect your kidneys?
Diabetes is a condition which is caused when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin (Type 1 Diabetes) or when your body doesn’t react to the insulin in a normal way (Type 2 Diabetes). The sugar in your food cannot be broken down effectively which can result in problems in your kidneys.
The glucose content in your blood causes considerable damage to the filters in your kidneys. When the filters in the kidney are damaged, a particular protein called albumin releases into your blood and your urine. The damage in the kidneys can affect the kidney function and obstruct the filtering out of wastes from the blood.
Thus, diabetes could be attributed as a major cause of kidney disease.
Managing diabetes is crucial to avoid kidney diseases. However, diabetes doesn’t have a proper cure which is why it is even more important to take care of your health in such cases.
Here are a few ways in which diabetic patients can aim to be healthy and prevent kidney diseases:
Quit Smoking: Smoking increases diabetic complications such as nerve damage and heart strokes which can in-turn affect your kidneys’ functions adversely. Hence, it is advisable to quit smoking to keep diabetes under control.
Healthy Meals: Opt for healthy meals which are balanced and packed with nutrients as they help in increasing the insulin function in your body. Foods such as green leafy vegetables, legumes, fruits and lean meat should be included in your meals.
Engage in Physical Exercise: A diabetic person needs to engage in physical exercise in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Obesity can increase your chances of complications and can be detrimental to your kidneys as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.