Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Derma Roller Treatment
Hair Mesotherapy Treatment
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Facial Rejuvenation Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Mole Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Skin Polishing Treatment
Since 2 days I am having red rashes in my leg and having pain in them . Now I am seeing that rashes r growing . And pain is also more . What can I do.
I am loosing hair when I use shampoo during bath. I use treesmee shampoo which is quite good. Please help me by giving a solution.
I have black spots as well as pimples on my back. I used scar removal cream for 4 months but did not see any changes. What should I do?
I got accident by bike. I have mark on lips and also normal scratch on hand. So please tell mw what medicine should I take?
Quite a rarity, Lichen sclerosus is a skin disease, which is typically identified as white, patchy skin that is both sensitive and thinner than the surrounding area. Although it can appear anywhere on the body, it is found to occur predominantly in the skin regions in and around the vulva, the anus and the foreskin of the penis. It is a common occurrence in postmenopausal women.
Mild cases of lichen sclerosus are usually asymptomatic, but moderate to severe cases may have any of the following signs and symptoms:
1. Itching, which may or may not be severe
2. Smooth and sensitive white spots
3. Easy tearing or bruising
4. Pain or discomfort
5. Wrinkled or blotchy patches
6. Painful intercourse
7. Blistering, bleeding or ulcerated lesions in more severe cases
Although there are no known exact causes of lichen sclerosus, here are a few possible causes:
1. An overactive immune system
2. An imbalance of hormones
3. Previous skin damage at a particular site making it tender and sensitive
A number of problems may arise from the skin disease, if left untreated. Here are a few complications:
1. Skin cancer may develop, but then again, this is a very rare occurrence
2. Lichen sclerosus on the vulva can lead to the development of vulvar cancer.
3. Sexual intercourse can get extremely painful for women in severe cases, due to intensive scratching and scarring
4. Can cause thinning and tightening of the foreskin of uncircumcised men. This can be troublesome during erections or when urinating.
If the symptoms do not show or if your genital area is not badly affected, then you may not necessarily need treatment. However, if symptoms begin to appear, you should probably consult a doctor for treatment. Treatment can help decrease scarring and itching, as well as improve your skin's appearance.
Corticosteroid ointments and creams are the most common form of treatment. Apart from this form of treatment, you should consult your doctor may also prescribe the following:
1. Immune-modulating medications
2. Ultraviolet light treatment
3. Topical sex hormones
4. Circumcision or removal of the foreskin of the penis