Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Jalan S Shah
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Jalan S ShahYour feedback matters!
Prescribed and taking the medicines rabicip20, zyloric and thyronorm, my complans are 1 in the morning ancle pain, whole day leg muscle pain and feeling sleepy, this month I was having a healthy mensturation, for the last four months it was severe belly pain, joint pains before the starting of periods.
I'm a female of 21 years married last last month I and my husband stay apart because our busy job but met only 3 days in month. Doing sex in 1 time in a month cause me become pregnant?
I am 27 years old and trying to conceive for last 9 months. Earlier I have problem of having irregular periods. After treatment that problem gone. But for the last 2 months I am facing big problems. On 8.4. 2015 I had my last regular period, in the next month it delay for about 42 days. I had not taken any pregnancy test and when I consulted with my doctor she says my prolactyn level is high. To regulate my period she had given me medicine but in the next month after 32 days I have only blood spotting. Again my doctor took a U. S. G. And told me I have follicular cyst. Then she recommends me femovan tm which I am still taking. But my period is not being regular I am only having occasional blackish discharge. I am totally confused what is happening to me? in between starting femovan a flesh like thing came out in my sanitary napkin. Please help.
An Ayurvedic Approach to Seasonal Allergies
Our immune system is a complex and wonderful system. When in balance, it does a seamless job of identifying and eliminating potential threats to our health, such as toxins, bacteria, viruses, and cancer cells. However, sometimes our immune system responds too vigorously to a substance in the environment that is usually harmless, such as pollen, animal dander, or mold. As the body acts to eradicate the perceived threat, we can experience the uncomfortable symptoms of an allergy reaction, including a runny nose, nasal congestion, coughing, and itchy, watery eyes. In addition, an exaggerated immune response can lead to symptoms in the lungs (asthma) and skin (hives, eczema). Allergies affect a large percentage of the population at one time or another and can significantly limit activity. Although the body can mount allergic responses to many things, including food, medicines, and other foreign material, in this article we will discuss the common phenomenon of environmental or seasonal allergies.
The Underlying Causes of Allergies
You may wonder why one person can spend an afternoon walking through blossoming fields without any symptoms, while someone else can't step out the front door without experiencing severe allergic symptoms. Heredity is one of the major distinguishing factors. As scientific research has found, your risk of developing allergies increases by approximately 30% if one of your parents is allergic. If both of your parents have allergies, your risk is greater than 60%.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, in addition to inherited tendencies, several other key factors determine whether a person experiences an allergic reaction and how severe that reaction will be. These include the strength of the individual's digestive fire, or inner resilience (known as agni), the quantity of allergen that enters the body, and a person's current state of balance/imbalance in the doshas. Fortunately, there are techniques to strengthen our agni, avoid allergen exposure, and improve our state of doshic balance. By addressing all of these factors, we can help prevent allergies as well as keep them under control.
Ayurveda considers a strong agni, or digestive fire, one of the most important factors for our health. When our agni is strong, we can take in energy and information from our environment, extract whatever is beneficial to us, and eliminate everything we don't need. In addition, when agni is burning brightly, our body won't mount an aggressive response to foreign material such as pollen, but will instead remove it in a healthy, beneficial way. In other words, our body is more resilient to the changes in the environment.
One way to keep our agni strong is to develop a regular meditation practice. When we calm the mind and body, we are less likely to respond to foreign 'invaders' aggressively. We increase our ability to take in nourishment from our environment, as opposed to seeing them as threats. Other mindfulness practices, such as yoga and conscious breathing also strengthen agni.
One breathing technique that is useful for strengthening agni is ujjayi, or ocean's breath. Ujjayi (pronounced oo-jai) is an ancient yogic breathing technique that helps calm the mind and body. Ujjayi has a balancing influence on the entire cardiorespiratory system and releases feelings of irritation and frustration.
Here is how to perform ujjayi breath:
Take an inhalation that is slightly deeper than normal. With your mouth closed, exhale through your nose while constricting your throat muscles. If you are doing this correctly, you should sound like Darth Vader from Star Wars.
You can also get the hang of this practice by practicing exhaling the sound haaaaah with your mouth open. Now make a similar sound with your mouth closed, feeling the outflow of air through your nasal passages. Once you have mastered this on the outflow, use the same method for the inflow breath, gently constricting your throat as you inhale.
Another important way to strengthen agni is to eliminate ama, which is a Sanskrit word for toxicity. Ama includes both physical and emotional toxicity that accumulates in our physiology and can interfere with our natural healing. One herb that is helpful in treating allergies by cleansing ama is triphala. The recommended dosage is 500-1000mg, taken at bedtime.
Reducing the Quantity of Allergens That Enter the Body
Another step to controlling and preventing allergy symptoms is to be mindful of how much of the aggravating allergen is in our environment and making conscious choices to eliminate them as much as possible. According to Ayurveda, we are in constant dynamic exchange with our external environment. When we put ourselves in an environment where we have high levels of exposure to an allergen, it becomes difficult to control symptoms, despite our best efforts.
While it is sometimes difficult to completely avoid an allergen, you can protect yourself from direct contact with it by using a few Ayurvedic healing practices. One effective practice for prevention and treatment of allergy symptoms is using a neti pot to perform a gentle saline rinse. A neti pot is a small container with a spout that is placed in your nostril as you tip your head sideways, allowing warm salt water to flow in one nostril and out the other. By performing this saline rinse once or twice daily, you can flush out any foreign material that has come into your body through the nasal passages.
After using the neti pot, it is very helpful to follow up with an Ayurvedic technique known as nasya, which consists of applying a few drops of oil to the nasal passages. The oil forms a protective layer on the nasal tissues and prevents allergens from directly attaching themselves to nasal membranes.
Balancing the Doshas
A person's primary dosha, or mind-body constitution, can often predict which allergy symptoms will manifest, so it's important to understand your dosha type as well as your current imbalances.
In addition to understanding our primary dosha and individual tendencies, it is important to understand that each of us has all of the doshas within us and can therefore experience imbalances in of any of the doshas. Different types of allergy symptoms represent imbalances in different doshas. By recognizing this, we can more specifically guide the treatments.
Kapha Allergy Symptoms
In Ayurveda, the typical allergy symptoms in the spring season - congestion, runny nose, watery eyes, and sneezing - are described as an accumulation of the Kapha dosha, which is made up of earth and water elements. This leads to the feeling of 'heaviness' and excessive mucus in the head and sinuses. Other symptoms are sluggishness and feeling tired. For the classic Kapha-type allergy symptoms, there are several simple and effective therapies that will relieve acute symptoms.
As mentioned above, the neti pot is a useful tool in treating allergies. In addition to the benefits of removing allergens, from a doshic perspective, it is especially effective in decreasing Kapha in the head and sinuses. The use of nasya oil with invigorating scents, such as eucalyptus, camphor or juniper, can act as a natural decongestant, thus reducing the symptoms of heaviness.
Other treatments that help relieve acute Kapha allergy symptoms include the use of pungent and bitter (astringent) herbs and spices to reduce Kapha, including ginger, cayenne, pepper, basil, cumin, cardamom, sage, turmeric, and cinnamon. An easy remedy is drinking hot honey water, or ginger lemon tea. A classical Ayurvedic herbal treatment to reduce Kapha is trikatu, which can be taken daily. In addition, treatment should be geared toward lightening the body in other ways, such as daily exercise and use of a dry sauna.
Pitta Allergy Symptoms
When allergy symptoms occur in the summertime, the underlying source is often an out-of-balance Pitta dosha. Pitta is governed by the elements of water and fire, and in the summer, excess heat can produce inflammation in the respiratory tract or skin. These symptoms are usually rash, headache, burning or red eyes, and inflammation in the sinuses and airway (sinusitis, bronchitis).
To pacify Pitta and the resulting allergy symptoms, Ayurveda recommends ingesting cooling herbs, such as coriander and cilantro. In addition, herbs such as shatavari, guduchi, amalaki, and neem may be helpful. Ingestion of clarified butter, or ghee, as well as aloe, can calm the inflammatory reaction that is typical of Pitta imbalance. From a biochemical perspective, these herbs contain healthy anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that support our immune system.
Vata Allergy Symptoms
When Vata is out of balance, the allergic symptoms include headache, wheezing, sneezing, and generalized muscle aches. These may be seen more typically in the fall as the air becomes cold and dry. This is due to the accumulation of the lighter elements of space and air in the mind-body physiology. Other manifestations of this Vata imbalance include dry cough, restlessness, and dry eyes.
To balance the excess space and air elements, it is important to stay hydrated and drink warm liquids, such ginger tea with honey. To bring Vata back into balance, use calming herbs such as ashwagandha, which is also an immune modulator that calms the immune system's response to allergens. Another useful tool in calming Vata is performing a self-massage, or abhyhanga.The most nourishing and warming oil for balancing Vata is sesame.
When our agni is restored, we avoid aggravating allergens and ama (toxicity) by making conscious choices, and we maintain balance of our internal energies, or doshas, we are less likely to experience ill health, such as allergies. Instead of seeing our environment as a threat, we can begin to calm the excitability of the immune system and, instead, experience our connection to the external world as nourishing. Ayurveda provides us with the tools to experience this connection and move closer to our natural state of health and balance.
I had miscarriages twice, 2nd one was last year, now I want to plan again. Got some tests done and now doctor say I can try, but still I am not confident if third pregnancy will work or not. Need some guidance on that part.
Intrauterine devices or IUD are T shaped contraceptive devices. These contain levonorgestrel or copper and are inserted into the uterus. IUDs are considered to be one of the most effective birth control measures and also they are reversible (meaning it can be removed whenever a need arises). The copper IUd has a failure rate of 0.8%, while the levonorgestrel IUD has only had 0.2% failures till now. As per a report in 2007, IUDs are used by more than 180 million users all over the world.
What you should know about Intrauterine devices:
- Types of IUDs: There are 2 types of IUDs Copper and Hormone: Copper IUD is considered to be the conventional form of the contraceptive. It is T shaped with strings and is inserted into the uterus by a doctor. It can remain in the body for three to five years. Minera is a known brand of the hormone IUD. It contains low dose of hormone progestin and releases the same when inserted in the uterus. This is also T shaped and has strings. This can be left for three years.
- Pelvic infections are not caused by IUDs: There is a belief that IUDs cause pelvic infection but this is not true. The strings of the new IUDs are very thin and they do not cause any pelvic infection even if a person is suffering from a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Though there might be a slight risk of infection when the IUD is inserted and in the first 20 days, but that also dissolves soon.
- IUD can be used at any age: Earlier IUDs were not recommended for women who had never got pregnant. However, now anyone can use these irrespective of being pregnant or not. It is very safe for all age groups from teenagers to women involved in active sex to women post menopause.
- IUD is as effective as getting a tubal ligation: It is believed that Minera is 99.4% effective while sterilization (tubal ligation) is 99% effective in preventing a pregnancy. Ligation is considered to be a permanent birth control solution, while IUDs can be reversed.
- IUDs do not cause infertility: It was believed that a STI would creep into the pelvis through the string of the IUD and cause infertility but this is not so. Though a STI can cause infertility but the IUD has no role in the same and does not contribute or worsen the infection.
- Hormonal IUD have less side effects than birth control pills: Breast tenderness, acne, and bleeding for a short time may persist for the initial 3-4 months in case of hormonal IUDs. The copper IUD lead to cramping and heavy flow during menstruation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist and ask a free question.
I sex with my husband in period 3rd day on 5th September it start itching till it is not stopped what can I do please help me is it a serious problem help me.
I am 7 weeks old pregnant I want to get this pregnancy terminated is there any pill which I can take and terminate this pregnancy.
Hello Doctor, I am trying to conceive and my last period came on 23 june but on 16th day (8 july) of my period again I am bleeding for two days, and after that my period is not come right now. Is it a sign on pregnancy or something else to concern.
I am married women and I born twins baby nd they are 3 months nd my breast is loose nd not tight nd my skin is going nd I want my breast tight nd beautiful shape so what should I do for it please help me.
Are you planning a romantic dinner or lunch to celebrate a special occasion? Then don’t forget to incorporate some of the foods listed below for a perfect unforgettable evening. These foods are the ones that have made it to the list of top romantic foods.
- Chocolate: You can’t go wrong with chocolate and it would definitely be on the top of the list for top romantic foods. Chocolate contains a chemical known as phenylethylamine or PEA which is similar to and produces the same effects of amphetamine. Amphetamine is a chemical that is released in the brain, it produces the joyous or euphoric feeling. Chocolate is also a known aphrodisiac. Eaten as it is or as a fondue or used to cover strawberries, chocolate is perfect.
- Seafood: Seafood is simple and easy to cook and delicious to eat. Oysters are another known aphrodisiac, they are considered to be the symbol of passion.Oysters are rich in zinc and are considered to be great for boosting fertility. They also contain a high amount of amino acids that help in the production of sex hormones. Oysters are usually eaten raw straight from the shell with a dash of lemon juice. Remember these slippery mollusk is not to everyone’s liking or taste.
- Strawberries: Probably one of the oldest and most easily recognizable romantic food item is the small red strawberry. This healthy fruit is rich in vitamin C and helps to keep the blood flowing to all parts of the body. Delicious on its own or dipped in chocolate or whipped cream or part of a sumptuous dessert the strawberry is the perfect way to end a romantic meal.
- Bananas: Bananas contain the enzyme bromelain which helps to trigger and boost the levels of testosterone in men. The potassium and vitamin B present in this nutrient-dense fruit helps to boost energy levels. Potassium also helps in building muscle strength. This tasty fruit can be eaten as it is or added to a smoothie to keep you going.
- Chili Peppers: Surprising right, who would have thought that chili peppers would make it to the list of romantic foods. The vibrant red colour and the exotic connotations of this spice makes it a symbol of passion and love. Considered to be an aphrodisiac, chili peppers stimulate the feel-good chemicals in the brain known as endorphins. Chili peppers are sure to stimulate your nerves and get your heart rate speeding.
Plan your menu or look for recipes that are simple and easy to follow using the. Setting the mood is the first step for a memorable evening.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!