Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ian DsouzaYour feedback matters!
have a swelling on neck doctor told cervical adenitis submental triangle is it symptoms of cancer or not?
Bronchovascular marking are bilateral sir please tell me is this serious any type of lung cancer.PLease tell.
In my father biopsy report, they mentioned like features are suggestive of signet ring cell carcinoma. I want what it is?
What are of symptoms of oral cancer? Can it be cured? What are the foods that are essential for reducing the chances of it?
Hello Doctors! My mom has 'low grade papillary urothelial carcinoma She Underwent TUTBT 3 time in last 7 years. The previous one was in January 2017, after which, 2 times cycstocopy (resulted NO RECURRENCE OF TUMOUR). She had 2 rounds of BCG. The second round was very troubling for her as she had irritation in the bladder all day long, plus increased frequency of urinating (Urge to pee every 20 mins day & night both). COnsidering this situation, the oncologist did hydrochloric dilution which had some good results (Frequency reduced to 1 hr) Right after getting this side effect of BCG, the doctor suggested to take AKT-3 (Medcn used to cure Tuberculosis). He suggested to continue it for 4 months. Now my question is whether taking AKT-3 involves any side effect? Or is is really true AKT-3 helps in reducing inflammation in the bladder? In short, whether she should continue taking AKT-3 or shall she stop it?
Cancer is the one of the biggest threat to the young Indian population because of the factors that cause cancer, but also due to late detection. However, certain bad habbits and the factors increase the risk of cancer in India.
Causes of cancer in India:
- Overpopulation and the problem of nutrition: As per records, India is the world's third most populous country. However, it lacks in resources to feed the multiplying number of mouths. Nutrition plays a key role in deciding the quality of a person's life. Nutrition has therefore emerged as an essential branch of research and medical care in the last few decades. Lack of nutrition directly results in weakened immunity. Your body becomes prone to diseases, some of which can be fatal. To fight off cancer cells, one must have a strong immune system that comes from the right kind of nutrition.
- Smoking is a recurrent habit among children and adults: Smoking can cause cancer. Every cigarette packet reads the same warning messages but it doesn't actually deter smokers in any way. Smoking is prevalent among people of all age groups in India. From poor children to conscious educated adults, all are seen smoking.
- A Tropical country and its woes: Tropical countries are known to face the wrath of the sun. While most places in central, western, partly eastern and southern India experience extremes of temperature in summer, other places with moderately hot summers are not exempted from the harmful UV rays. Ultraviolet rays can be very harmful for one's skin, as it can cause skin cancer. Indians have a high amount of melanin, which protects them against sun rays, but the threat exists nonetheless.
- The concept of fast food: A global economy has opened avenues awaiting your attention in the realm of food. To suit the tones and moods of a fast life, fast food has been made available to you. We take pride in consuming things that can be prepared in an instant: instant noodles, soups and even curries. Packaged food and junk food are sources of cancer cells.
- Lack of awareness regarding the most common types of cancer: Breast and cervical cancer are the two most common types of cancer eating away the health of Indians. The problem lies in being unaware about the root causes, symptoms and treatment procedures related to these kinds of cancer. Social repression turns health concerns into matters of insignificance. Women fear social alienation after coming in the open with their problems.
I am 39 year old male. I experience frequent urinary tract infections. Its very painful while urinating. My prostate weight is 18 gms.
One of my friends is suffering from breast cancer and it is said that intense pain is there. How can we be away from cancer?
I am suffering from Pap smear with altered flora is it very dangerous also tell solution due to this is there any possibility of cancer.
I am suffering from prostatitis infection. I take 3 months of ofloxion 400 mg. 1 month levofloxion. 2 months of doxycycline. 1 month of clotrimazole. And 3 months of linezolid 500 mg. suddenly one night me legs is dead. Next day I go to doctor but he not know what happen to me.
Oral cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells called tumors that invade and damage the tissues surrounding it is in or around the mouth. Oral cancer, like all other types of cancer, is life threatening if not diagnosed and treated in the early stages. There are eight types of oral cancer namely cancer in the throat, sinuses, hard and soft palate, floor of the mouth, gums, cheeks, tongue and lips. Dentists are usually the first ones to notice and detect the signs and symptoms of oral cancer. This condition is also known as oral cavity cancer. The risk factors and symptoms of oral cancer are mentioned below.
The symptoms of oral cancer, especially in the first stages, seem non-threatening and similar to common oral problems. However, visiting the doctor is mandatory to rule out cancer as an option. If you suffer from one or more of the following symptoms, visit your dentist immediately.
- Thickenings and swellings, lumps or bumps, crusts, eroded areas or rough spots on the lips, gums or surrounding regions inside or around the mouth.
- Bleeding in the mouth that is unexplainable.
- Persistent sores near and around the mouth or throat that bleed easily and may take more than two weeks to heal.
- Unexplained numbness or pain and tenderness in the mouth, throat or face.
- Development of patches, which are usually speckled, red or white in the mouth.
- Sudden weight loss.
- Excruciating pain in your ear.
- Loose teeth.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Lumps in your neck.
- Stiffness or pain in your jaw.
- Pain in your tongue.
- Dentures that fit poorly.
Men above 50 years of age face the greatest risk of developing oral cancer. Women are at a much lower risk of developing oral cancer than men. The following factors increase your risk of developing oral cancer:
- Smoking cigarettes, cigars or pipes
- Snuff, dips or chewing tobacco
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- History of oral or other types of cancer in the family
- Chronic sun exposure, especially facial exposure
- Sexually transmitted virus such as HPV
- Diagnosed of oral cancer previously. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Oncologist.
Many times I have lots of pain in my breast, stomach, food pipe, jaws and back together after or sometimes before eating and drinking something. No acidity capsules and pain killer gave me relief from this pain, the only way I got relief from this pain is vomiting. what s the reason of this pain and burning feeling.
The term bone marrow transplant is actually a misnomer in the present context as a vast majority of transplants are now conducted by harvesting stem cells from the blood of the donor.
So the correct and logical term now is peripheral blood stem cell transplant. This is just like a blood donation for the donor and poses no risk at all to the donor. The term blood cancer is generally used for leukemias, these can be of two types - acute and chronic.
For the chronic leukemias, especially chronic myeloid leukemia, stem cell transplant is now generally not required as drugs like imatinib, dasatinib and nilotinib are extremely effective. For chronic lymphocytic leukemia transplant is rarely done these days and is generally reserved for relatively younger patients. Even in the imatinib era transplant is an effective procedure and can cure patients with CML (chronic myeloid leukemia) who do not respond to imatinib and other tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
For acute myeloid leukemias stem cell transplant is recommended for all cases except the low risk cases, after completion of chemotherapy. Risk is defined based on kind of genetic mutations in the leukemic cells for acute lymphoblastic leukemia transplant is generally done at relapse, but certain genetic mutations necessitate an earlier transplant, so does presence of or increase in minimal residual disease, which signifies cancer cells not visible to the human eye under the microscope.
Procedure of stem cell transplant HLA matching is done between patient and siblings. Best match is selected as a donor. Matched sibling is the most commonly used donor in blood cancers. In many cases a match is not available, for such cases matched unrelated donor, cord blood, or a partially matched donor (haploidentical donor) is sometimes selected. Donor is given growth factor injection subcutaneously to bring out the stem cells from the bone marrow to bloodstream, twice daily for 5 days. After that the stem cells are collected and stored. Patient is given high dose chemotherapy to kill cancer cells as well as his normal marrow. After chemotherapy, donor stem cells are injected into the body of patient from a vein. After approximately 11-14 days the donor cells get engrafted in the patient's marrow and start producing normal blood cells. The donor cells also kill the cancer cells and prevent cancer from coming back.
Overall depending on whether the patients cancer is controlled or not before transplant the cure rate after transplant can vary from 60 % for patients who have a good control and less aggressive disease biology, to less then 20 % in patients with uncontrolled disease before transplant. Overall, approximately 40 % patients get cured with a transplant. Upto 40 % patients can develop complications, and half of these may be very severe and life threatening. This figure is more in mismatched transplants. Apart from complications, there is still a risk of relapse and these patients need close monitoring in the first few years after transplant.
While you cannot cure breast diseases, family history and maturing, but there are some hazards or risks that you can control. Keeping in mind the fact that there is no certain approach to forestall breast cancer, there are things you can do that may bring down the hazard. Here are five approaches to ensure your breast's well-being:
- Watch your weight: Being overweight or hefty expands breast cancer chances. This is particularly true after menopause and for women who have put on weight as grown-ups. After menopause, the vast majority of your estrogen originates from fat tissue. Having more fat tissue can heighten your chances of getting breast cancer by raising the estrogen levels. Additionally, women who are overweight have a tendency to have more elevated amounts of insulin, than other hormones. Higher insulin levels have been associated with a few tumors, including breast cancer.
- Exercise routinely: Many reviews have found that exercise is the sign of having a healthy breast. Studies show that one to two hours of energetic walking each week, lessened a woman’s cancer risk by eighteen percent. Walking ten hours seven days decreased the hazard all the more.
- Constrain liquor: Women who have two to five mixed beverages every day have a higher danger of breast cancer than women who have just one drink a day or none . As much as three to six glasses of wine seven days have been found to somewhat increase breast cancer chances. It is not clear how or why liquor raises the hazard. In any case, constraining liquor is particularly essential for women who have other hazard variables for breast cancer, like, breast cancer running in their families.
- Restrain time spent sitting: Research has shown that sitting time, regardless of how much exercise you get when you are not sitting, increases the probability of growing cancer, particularly for women. Women who sit six hours or more a day outside of work have a ten percent more serious risk for breast cancer compared to the ladies who sit under three hours a day, and an increased hazard for other cancer types as well.
- Stay away from or confine hormone substitution treatment: Hormone Replacement Treatment (HRT) was utilized frequently in the past to control night sweats, hot flashes, and other troublesome manifestations of menopause. In any case, specialists now realize that postmenopausal ladies who take a blend of estrogen and progestin might probably create breast tumors or cancer. Breast cancer disease seems to come back within five years in the wake of ceasing the blend of hormones. Therefore, get a breast cancer test even if you feel a small lump.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The Tulsi plant or holy Tulsi has been an intrinsic part of Indian history. It runs so deep within the realm of our understanding and profession of Hinduism or of an overly eastern way of life, that you use it as a metaphor for sanctity. Most Hindu households, both rural and urban, worship this plant. The benefits of this herb have had the support of a huge mass of people who would not have settled for anything other than a scientific approval of their faith; the humor in this statement eludes most proving every bit of truth in it. Indeed, this healthy herb has been found to be helpful in more than a couple of ways and has thus, transcended the limits of domestic and cultural identities.
See for yourself how healthy is Tulsi:
- Fight off cancer with Tulsi leaves: Tulsi plant is widely sought after for its anti-carcinogenic properties. It is also known to counter bacteria and other viral infections. One may even use its leaves as an antibiotic. Regular consumption of its leaves on an empty stomach can rid you of recurrent problems like fever or cough and cold.
- Pamper your skin with a touch of health: Tulsi is known to detoxify and cleanse the human body. Most skin disorders arise due to underlying skin infections. These infections are usually the result of toxins. Applying a Tulsi pack or drinking herbal teas can therefore be effective.
- Say goodbye to crushing digestive problems: Tulsi can build up your immunity against common conditions like diarrhea or dysentery. People suffering from slow bowel movement have also gained from this herb. It propels good digestion.
- A big threat to mosquito borne diseases: Treatment of Malaria and dengue incurs thousands. Using Tulsi as a preventive herb can be of significant help. Tulsi is also known to cure hepatitis and tuberculosis.
- Bathe in Tulsi water to remedy rashes: Adding Tulsi leaves to your bathing water successfully deals with germs and bacteria. You can easily tackle itchy skin, rashes, and boils with this simple tip. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.