Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Physicians online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
(Human Immunodeficiency Virus, AIDS)
AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) was first recognized in North America in the early 1980s. It is caused by a virus known as HIV(human immunodeficiency virus). HIV infection has become a world wide epidemic. As of 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) stated there were 35 million people currently infected with the virus.
HIV is more common among certain populations at risk, such as people who inject illicit drugs, and bisexual and gay men. HIV infections are also increasing among women, Aboriginal peoples, and African and Caribbean communities.
The virus can be found in the blood, semen, vaginal fluid, and breast milk of infected people. HIV is also found in saliva, sweat, and tears, though not in high enough amounts to transmit the virus to another person. There are no known cases of anyone catching HIV through sneezing, shaking hands, or from toilet seats or mosquito bites.
HIV may be transmitted through unprotected heterosexual or homosexual, vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Although the risk of infection is lower with oral sex, it is still important to use protection during oral sex, such as a dental dam (a piece of latex to cover the vagina during oral sex) or a condom. HIV can also be passed on through perinatal infection, where mothers who have HIV are at risk of giving the disease to the baby during birth. The risk of perinatal infection is declining with new treatments. Breast-feeding by an infected mother can also transmit HIV.
Symptoms and Complications
Symptoms of HIV infection appear 2 to 12 weeks after exposure. At this point, the virus begins rapidly taking over immune cells in the blood. The symptoms of this phase are flu-like and include:
When the symptoms begin to appear, the person with HIV is very infectious.
The symptoms usually go away within a week to a month, and the person will feel fine again. However, the symptoms may return from time to time. The symptoms of HIV are similar to symptoms of other diseases. The only way to know for sure whether you are HIV-positive is to be tested. After infection with HIV, it can take 3 months for antibodies to the virus to be detectable in the blood. On average, it takes about 22 days to develop antibodies. This is called seroconversion. After seroconversion occurs, the virus can be detected using a blood test.
After the initial symptoms go away, the body's immune system tries to control the virus.
The immune system can keep the virus at bay for a while, but it can't completely get rid of it. Many people will feel fine for years before their immune system weakens and they develop AIDS. Without treatment, about half of HIV-positive people develop AIDS within 10 years of infection. Some people develop AIDS within a few years of infection. A few, called long-term non-progressors, do not develop AIDS until much later. Many factors affect the time frame to develop AIDS, including medications and the person's general health and lifestyle.
Anyone can become infected with HIV. Fortunately, it can be prevented.
The main ways to prevent HIV infection are:
Unless you are in a mutually monogamous relationship (neither of you is having sex with anyone else), and you are sure neither of you is HIV-positive, make sure to use a condom every time you have sex. In some cases, couples, where one partner is infected, may decide to risk infection of the other partner, especially if they are trying to get pregnant. If this is the case,talk to your doctor. Your choice of sexual partner is also important since condoms do sometimes break or leak. You may know that you practice safe sex and that you haven't used dirty needles, but you must also know that your sexual partners and all their other partners do the same. Sharing needles is very dangerous - it carries a high risk of getting HIV.
People with other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as herpes are much more likely to contract HIV during sex, probably because of tiny breaks in their skin or vaginal lining.Keeping free of other STIs will help reduce your risk of HIV infection, but this alone will not protect you from infection. That's why it is important to use condoms.
For cooking is vegetable oil good for us, is there no harm in cooking food in vegetable oil as compare to refined. Which one is better vegetable oil or refined like saffola. Please explain in detail and why.
Every person takes care of their body parts. But sometimes we don't know that how to take care of some private body parts like penis and vagina, how can we take care of penis, vagina after sex and how can we clean and how we get rid from bad smell coming from inner side skin of penis and vagina how we clean that very sensitive parts of our human body?
Impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED) is treatable. The condition improves with treatment and lifestyle changes. While there are a plethora of medical options to treat impotence, there are some simple, easy-to-follow natural remedies as well. Here is a list of six such methods:
- Walk a mile: When it comes to impotence, walking two miles a day greatly helps in countering impotence. A brisk walk in the morning or evening helps to reduce weight and intervenes in cutting down obesity. A study in 2005 showed that a healthier lifestyle can improve or even reverses impotence. A person with a 42 inch waistline is far more likely to suffer from ED than a person with a waistline of 32 inches. Maintaining a healthy weight is, therefore, a good way to treat impotence.
- Moving the nether regions: Kegel exercises are known to be conducive for a good erection and better sexual performance. The bulbocavernosus muscle gets strengthened with this exercise. The bulbocavernosus muscle serves three purposes as they help the penis to engorge blood, empties the urethra post urination and pumps during ejaculation. Some other remedies include wearing loose pants, quitting smoking and alcohol, etc.
- Herbal Viagra: Red ginseng is considered to be the herbal Viagra because of its high effectiveness. A 2005 study showed that a dosage of 600–1,000 mg per day greatly helped in countering ED. This can be found in the form of a supplement. If plants are to be used, it should be ensured that the tree is at least five years old.
- Amino acid: The body possesses L-arginine that is naturally found in the body and helps in erection. Nitric acid relaxes the blood vessels in the body and sustains an erection for a longer duration. Consumption of high dosage of amino acid (5 mg/day) for six weeks can prove to be extremely beneficial in treating impotence. It should be ensured that a doctor is consulted before starting this course. Patients with a medical condition should not consume amino acid unless specifically prescribed by the doctor to do so.
- Watermelon juice: A citrulline is a form of amino acid that is found in abundant quantities in one slice of watermelon. This is a type of amino acid which is found to be extremely effective in improving the flow of blood to the penis. A 2011 study showed that a watermelon fetches very good result in improving ED.
- Acupuncture: A study conducted in 1999 showed that acupuncture improves erection in more than 39%of the people. This alternative therapy relaxes the mind and helps a person to get more involved while having sex. While there are mixed results of this alternative therapy, it is definitely worth a try to improve ED or impotence.