Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. H Kodial
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. H KodialYour feedback matters!
Macular Degeneration is an age-related macular degeneration incurable eye disease, which might result in blurred vision or no vision in the centre of the vision field, which might lead to visual distortions, reduced central vision, decreased intensity of the colours and can make it difficult for the patient to recognize faces, read, drive and to perform other activities.
Types of Macular Degeneration
1. Dry Macular Degeneration: It is characterized by the presence of drusen and thinning of macula because of a breakdown or thinning of the layer of retinal pigment epithelial cells in the macula.
2. Wet macular degeneration: In this type of AMD, there is an excessive growth of blood vessels, which causes bleeding, leakage, as well as scaring under the retina, which results in a rapid and severe loss of the central vision and might become permanent if not treated.
Causes of Age-related Macular Degeneration:
This is caused due to a problem related to the part of eye known as Macula, which is a spot at the centre of the retina of the eye. The focus point of the incoming ray of light is on Macula, which is responsible for see the things direct in front of us, especially reading and writing.
- Age: As the age increases, the probability of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration also increases significantly. The degree of the macular degeneration might vary person to person, but ageing is a major cause of suffering from age-related macular degeneration.
- Smoking: Smoking increases the chances of developing the disease in comparison to someone who does not smoke. The longer you have smoked, the more are the chances of developing it.
- Family History: The risk of developing the Age-related Macular Degeneration increases if it runs in your family, i.e. if your parents and siblings are suffering from it, then your chances of developing it are quite high as compared to the ones who do not have any family history.
- Obesity: The obese people have the higher chances of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration.
- Alcohol: Higher alcohol consumption also puts you at the risk of AMD, which is why one should always take alcohol in limited quantity only.
- Sunlight: As going out in sunlight without sunscreen is harmful to your skin, the same is harmful to your eyes for longer duration, and one should always wear UV-absorbing sunglasses to protect his eyes from AMD.
- Ethnicity: The white and Chinese are more prone to developing AMD as compared to the black people.
- Cardiovascular disease: The persons who have suffered diseases that affect the heart and other blood vessel are at higher risk of macular degeneration.
Treatment of Age-related Macular Degeneration
1. Anti-VEGF Drugs: The dry macular degeneration cannot be cured while the wet macular degeneration can be stabilized and maintained with a number of medical treatments to be injected into the eye, such as Lucentis, Avastin and Eylea. These are not long procedures and continued monitoring of the vision to maintain or improve the vision.
2. Laser photocoagulation: It consists of a concentrated beam of high energy thermal light that is directed towards the retina to obliterate and seal leaking blood vessels. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
I didn't realized when my eye got weaker day by day. From no glasses to -1.5. Worried about the fact that if it keeps on going like this. Kindly suggest some Tips or tricks to deal with this. And possibly reduce the power
My age is 53 years female I am getting slight pulling pain in the eyes frequently in a day which lasts for 10 minutes to some times one hour and some days I do not get this symptoms. I got checked up with super specialists they conducted tests and said no problem only tears production in eyes is less and given TEARS NATURAL eye drops for long use, Please suggest right remedy. I do not have any sugar problem.
Burning sensation of eyes reduces.
Here are some ways to care for your eyes
Namaskar i am Dr. S Bharti, founder and senior consultant in Bharti eye Foundation and Hospital. We have two centers one in east Patel Nagar and the other in greater kailash one and we provide very high quality eye care services and that is why both our centers are NABH accredited. Here I want to share some facts about the eye care basically for general public.
The first fact which I want to emphasize is the examination of the eye for a child should be done at the age of three years before the child enters the school so this is very important because some some of the times or most of the times the child is not able to tell you as to whether is or she is not seeing so well and only when the eye is examined at the age of three years. The parents come to know that the child has weak eyes the possibility of a child having a week eye is more in children whose parents are also having week eyes but in any case it is important to have the eye checkup for a child at the age of three years before going to the school.
The second fact which I want to emphasize is that today majority of people require computer in their routine work and there is an entity called computer vision syndrome. This computer vision syndrome is because when you are working on a computer your eye tends to blink less than normal and they can tend to get dry so it is very important to follow a room where you blink your eye. Every 20 seconds whenever you remember you get out of the area where you are working on the computer after every 20 minutes take your eyes off the computer after 20 minutes and also most of the times you will require to put some lubricant eye drop and working on the computer for a long time.
the third important thing is the cataract is not a disease it is a phenomena which happens with age. everybody will develop cataract if they live long enough sometimes the cataract start at the age of 50. For others the cataract may not start even at the age of 75 so you it is not that certain age you will definitely have cataract but there are changes which will happen to your lens and it will get opaque and that is what is called cataract and there is no medical treatment for cataract. It has to be removed and another lens has to be implanted in the eye for the treatment of cataract.
Thank you very much you can get in touch with me on lybrate.com. thank you.