Find numerous Psychiatrists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Girish D. Patel
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Girish D. PatelYour feedback matters!
Dr. Patel is very wise and experienced. The first time I met him, he accurately diagnosed my problem within 10 minutes! I was a bit unsure whether he understood my problem but as I started medication, the result was outstanding. More than half my problems got solved within 1 month of treatment. Also, he very patiently answered my questions on call. There are several videos of his on YouTube. I tried one of the affirmation techniques he mentioned in one of his videos on a certain physical ailment of mine for which my gyn had prescribed medicines. My ailment got cured within a few days without taking the medicine! I strongly recommend viewing his videos and trying out his techniques. Dr. Patel is like a guardian for me. Many thanks to you sir!
Sir I have a bad habit to eat (gutkha) tobacco. I want to quit it but I unable to do it. Please tell me what to do?
Hello doctor, I am suffering from anxiety disorder for past 3 years and taking english medicines. If I stop english medicine I am seeing my anxiety symptoms increased. I have also tried homeopathic medicines for the past 2 years but not showing significant improvement. I don't want to take allopathy due to side effects. Now recently I have been diagnosed with acidity and hiatal hernia. I am planning to take homeopathic medicine for my anxiety and acidity problems. How will the homeopathic medicine will be effective for both my anxiety and acidity. Please clarify. Thanks.
Internet addiction disorder or IAD, more commonly called Problematic Internet use or PIU, refers to excessive internet use that interferes with your daily life. Too much internet use to chat with friends, watch porn, use social media or surf the net for information- all fall under the purview of internet addiction.
Internet addiction disorder is a recently recognised condition in which sufferers spend unhealthy amounts of time “online” to the extent that it impairs their life quality. The internet addicts may experience distress and withdrawal symptoms just like smokers do, if they are denied access to their computers or mobile phones. They suffer withdrawal symptoms like tremours, obsessive thoughts, and involuntary movements of the fingers like typing.
IAD and Your Health
Internet addiction can have two different types of repercussions- physical and mental. Physical problems associated with this disorder are-
The psychological and organic harm to the brain caused by internet addiction is still being probed but there is enough research to say conclusively that internet addiction disrupts nerve wiring in the brains of addicts. This addiction thus causes a level of brain damage normally seen in heavy substance abusers. The brains of people who use cocaine and cannabis or other narcotics also show similar effects. The brain thus gets damaged when you get hooked to a behaviour- be it obsessive internet use or drugs. IAD is as physically damaging to your brain like an addiction to drugs, scientists believe.
In particular, brain scans have shown that internet addiction causes significant damage to white matter in the brain. This disruption to white matter nerve fibres connecting vital parts of the brain involved in emotions, decision making, and self-control has long-lasting debilitating results. IAD also shrinks the brain’s gray and white matter fibers which result in changes in your brain functioning and the way you handle emotions.
This disruption in white matter fibers is caused by disrupted myelin, the fatty insulating sheath that coats nerve fibres and helps them to function.
The risk factors for IAD
Specific risk factors for IAD include:
- Anxiety, depression or other mental health or mood disorders
- Absence of social interaction or support
- Presence of other addictions like gambling, alcohol, drugs, or sex
- An abrupt change that limits social activity or mobility like having a baby, becoming disabled, losing a job etc.
- High levels of stress.
IAD is treatable. All you have to do is seek help. Sometimes, trying to get rid of IAD by yourself doesn’t work. This is the right time to seek the help of a counselor. Behavioural therapies that chip at the root of the problem or the main cause of IAD help you in getting rid of it fast.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sometimes you may find yourself stuck in a rut that is frustrating and mind numbing. If you’re in such a situation, it could be an indication that you need to reprogram your mind. This will help you set realistic goals for yourself and lead a more fulfilling life. Before getting to how to reprogram your mind, it is important to first understand how the mind works.
Mind vs Brain
In colloquial terms, the words mind and brain may be used interchangeably but, the two are in fact not the same. While the brain is a physical organ, the mind can be described as a virtual entity present within each cell of our body and extended to minimum 2 inches outside body. That is why mind controls body. It is more like a collection of thoughts, emotions, imagination and memories. When compared to a computer, the brain acts as the hardware while the mind is the software within it.
The Three States of Mind
The mind can be categorized into three states:
Actions that need you to make an effort and think about what you are doing are said to be performed by the conscious mind. The subconscious mind refers to information that is accessible to you when needed and otherwise not something you pay attention to. For example, when walking down the road to your house, your mind subconsciously creates landmarks. The unconscious mind consists largely of primitive instincts and memories from early childhood that may not be easily recalled.
Unconscious mind also contains memories from past lives. That has been proved by father of modern hypnotherapy, Dr. Brian Weiss. Thus hypnotherapy under supervision is a great tool for reprogramming your mind. Embedding positive cognitive scripts / suggestions through hypnosis helps in reprogramming mind.
A majority of our daily functions are controlled by the unconscious mind. The memories stored in our unconscious mind are responsible for many decisions that we make based on beliefs. Thus, training the unconscious can help reprogram the mind and make it more productive.
Here are three easy tips to help you make your unconscious more efficient.
- Meditation: Meditation not only calms the mind and reduces stress, but can also help train the unconscious mind. Meditation helps increase your ability to concentrate on an activity and achieve the desired level of mental focus. This, in turn, helps develop new ideas and increases your belief in yourself.
- Visualize what you want to achieve: Merely telling yourself that you want to do better is not enough. You need to set a goal for yourself and visualize it to begin working towards it. Create a visual board of the type of house you would like to live in, the lifestyle you would like to have, the job you would like to have etc. avoid generalized visions and be specific about what you want.
- Hypnotherapy: Hypnotherapy is a safe, brief and effective way to deal with many emotional and anxiety-related issues, such as those listed on the right. It enables you to deal with your own mental challenges and blocks, so that you can build on your strengths and take control of your life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.
Sir I was suffering from memory loss. After reading some article I nothing gone summarize. So suggest me for that. Thank you.
Hello I am from chandigarh my question is that what are the main reasons for dark complexion. Is smoking and drinking responsible for this. Actually my complexion is fair in the childhood but when I grown up my complexion goes dark day by day what is the reason behind that. Can I get my complexion back. What should I quit for overcoming this problem. And what precautions should I take for this. What should I eat for this and what should not please tell me I will be very thankful to you and how much time will it to be cured. Should I take any test for knowing the reason behind that. Actually my skin is so oily.Please tell.
Modern lifestyle generally motivates you to be conscious of your health and external obstacles to attain a fit body. But like many other problems that are not quite evident, lack of sex in your relationship may look like a trivial matter in the beginning, but can become a bigger emotional and psychological problem for you and your partner. Here are several ways in which lack of sex can lead to trouble in your relationship, and in the long run affect your mental and psychological health.
- Resentment as a primary factor: It has been widely accepted that resentment towards your partner is one of the primary reasons for the lack of sex in your relationship. However, you cannot ignore the fact that in most cases, lack of sex, which is not due to resentment, leads to resentment and misunderstandings, making it a serious issue. This will indeed induce great stress in you, affecting the way you treat your partner even outside the bedroom.
- Harm caused by resultant depression: Lack of sex in a relationship often goes a long way in widening the emotional gap between you and your partner. It results into simmering resentment or quarrels. The feeling of rejection has been known to induce severe clinical depression, which can seriously affect the relationship.
- Stress which you can't cope with: Doctors all over the world agree that sex is a great stress buster. The release of chemicals like endorphin or oxytocin inside the body induces relief and a feel-good mood, which reduces anxiety of daily life goals. When you stop having sex, the stress increases, which at some point of time or the other will lead to misunderstandings and problems in the relationship and emotional strain.
Overall, lack of sex leads to insecurity in the relationship and builds up mistrust, which in turn affects your and your partner's personal health. So, sitting down and discussing how to address this issue might be a good idea if you notice the lack of passion in your relationship.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!