Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best General Physicians online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Gaurang K. TolatYour feedback matters!
Hello doc. I recently completed my 18 month chest and abdominal tuberculosis treatment. Can I take beer now?
Am 26, from chennai. I am facing ED problem and hence I am not able to penetrate. I take caverta for temporary being. But I want a permanent solution. please help.
Whenever I go out in sunlight My whole body starts itching And my skin is also sensitive In this spring season hands legs starts cracking And I am using glycerine as moisturiser.
I was having celin (vitamin c) tablets by just keeping in my mouth. And after a week ive got sores and red ness in my mouth and at the tip of my tongue! Its is because of those tablets that ive got sores and redness or something else? What should I do?
Hello every one I recently met an old guy he said lot of foods which they use to consume at their time and be healthy! But I am not sure about his pronunciation was not good but he try to say me lot of info abt their food habits but I am unable to grasp his intention due to his pronunciation plz, could you suggest me some older foods which are very beneficial and not making obese?
M not able to eat anything. I am having throat pain. And fever. everything m eating is bitter. Help me out.
I have suffered from blood sugar and hypothyroid. I want to know that blood sugar symptoms produce due to hypothyroidism.
Beriberi is a vitamin b1 (thiamine) deficiency. There are different types of beriberi dry (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome), wet (cardiovascular disease), oriental and infantile.
- inadequate intake of thiamine.
- eating a diet in which most calories are derived from polished rice (oriental).
- excessive alcohol consumption (dry and wet beriberi).
- inadequate intake in breastfeeding mothers (infantile).
- other cause can be patients under dialysis, patients receiving high doses of diuretics.
- rarely genetic inability to absorb thiamine.
Sign and symptoms:
- glucose metabolism is affected so there is weakness.
- pain, tingling numbness in hands and feet.
- difficulty walking.
- muscle wasting with loss of function or paralysis of lower extremities.
- strange eye movements - nystagmus.
- mental confusion and speech difficulties.
- brain damage - affecting language and thinking.
- general swelling.
- increased heart rate.
- tachycardia (increased pulse rate).
- lung congestion.
- enlarged heart - congestive heart failure.
In infantile beriberi the child is usually breastfed can have sudden convulsions, cyanosis and can go in a coma.
- avoid alcohol.
- avoid eating unpolished rice or cereals.
- increase intake of thiamine (vitamin b1)
- thiamine is found in almost all foodstuffs of animal and plant origin. Fats oils and sugars do not contain thiamine.
- animal origin: lean meat especially pork, fish, dairy products, poultry, egg yolk are good sources of thiamine.
- yeast is a very good source of thiamine.
- plant origin: cereals, pasta, whole grains like rice and wheat germ, dried beans, peas and soybeans are a good source of vitamin b1.
- fruits and vegetables are not high in thiamine content.
- you can take thiamine supplements.
If any of the above symptoms are observed consult your physician as immediate supplementation of injectable thiamine is essential.