Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Dipak P. Das
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Dipak P. DasYour feedback matters!
For many people, the only source of calcium is their daily dose of milk. However, vegans, lactose intolerant people and those who are not too fond of milk can substitute it with almond milk. While it gives the same amount of nutrients, it does not have as many calories and also has a host of other health benefits.
Almond milk is creamy, nutty, and is fortified with vitamins D, B, and E. The calcium component is slightly low as compared to normal milk and therefore additional calcium intake should be planned for. Other than these some of the significant health benefits include:
- Calorie cutting: A cup of unsweetened almond milk gives only about 30 calories, in comparison to 146 calories in whole milk, 122 calories in 2% milk, 102 calories in 1% milk, and 86 calories in skim milk. While almond milk per se does not help you lose weight, using it as a substitute for other higher calorie drinks definitely helps in losing weight.
- Effect on blood sugar: It contributes much less calories than cow’s milk and so does not push up sugar levels. It also has a low glycemic index, therefore cannot be stored as a fat in the body.
- Added fiber: Almond milk provides higher content (5g) of dietary fiber per cup. This is higher than regular milk and helps reduce hunger and prevents obesity. Using the high-fiber almond milk for breakfast along with bran cereals can help reduce hunger pangs and keep you full for longer periods of time
- Digestion: The good amount of fiber aids overall digestion. It is also lactose-free thus, is a good substitute for milk for lactose-intolerant people (about 25% of the general population).
- Heart Healthy: The absence of cholesterol, reduced sodium, and good amount of Omega fatty acids make it extremely heart healthy.
- Bone Friendly: Though it contains less amount of calcium, it supplies about 30% of the daily calcium needs and about 25% of the required vitamin D levels. The result is improved better teeth, healthier bones, and reduced risk of osteoporosis and arthritis.
- Glowing skin: The high content of vitamin E (about 50% of daily dose) with its antioxidant properties protects the skin against sun damage, leading to increased glow.
- Muscle strength and healing: Almond milk contains plenty of vitamin B and iron and riboflavin which promotes healing and improving muscle strength.
- Protein content: Almond milk contains only about 1 g (silk almond) to 5 g (fiber varieties), however, cow’s milk has about 8 g and therefore protein substitutes should be looked at.
The next time you are not keen on drinking cow’s milk, try the almond milk. It is proven to be tastier too! In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!