Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Nutan Devendra Desai
Submit a review for Dr. Nutan Devendra DesaiYour feedback matters!
I am diabetic person and my urine deep also havè stomach problems like motion is not having properly pl advice good medicine
Liver, being the largest gland present inside the body, weighs almost 3 pounds. It is a vital organ of the human body and performs critical functions which are required for the normal functioning of the body. The liver makes protein which is required for blood clotting. The liver also produces many other enzymes which are required in cellular pathways.
In many cases, due to chronic or acute illnesses, a portion of the liver gets injured or damaged. In these cases, liver transplantation or hepatic transplantation under immunosuppressive drugs is a potentially successful treatment which can be performed by surgeons under ideal conditions.
When is a liver transplant necessary?
Liver transplant is a procedure to replace a diseased or necrosed liver with either a whole or a part of a healthy liver from a donor. This may come from a living or deceased donor. The surgery is extremely complicated with an average duration of 10-12 hrs. Before transplantation, liver support therapy might be indicated. A liver transplant is always the last option, for any liver-damaging conditions including alcohol abuse, hepatitis, and cancer.
Any condition leading to acute liver failure requires a liver transplant, provided that the recipient does not have other conditions that will fail a successful transplant.
Other potential causes leading to a liver transplant
A patient is advised for a liver transplant procedure when the liver is damaged to a condition where a cure is not possible. The many potential reasons that would need a person to undergo liver transplant are:
Viral hepatitis which includes all types of hepatitis (A, B, C, D, E) which are blood Bourne or transmitted through oral or fractal route.
- Acute and subacute necrosis of liver
- Alcoholic fatty liver
- Alcoholic cirrhosis of liver
- Chronic hepatitis
- Cirrhosis of liver without mention of alcohol
- Biliary cirrhosis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Benign neoplasm of liver and biliary passages
- Neoplasm of unspecified nature in digestive system
- Pure hypercholesterolemia
- Carcinoma of liver and biliary system
- Neoplasm of uncertain behavior in liver
- Disorders of bilirubin excretion
- Disorders of copper metabolism
- Congenital factor VIII disorder
- Congenital factor IX disorder
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Other chronic nonalcoholic liver disease
- Unspecified liver disease without mention of alcohol
- Other sequelae of chronic liver disease
- Other specified disorders of gallbladder
- Cholangitis, obstruction of bile duct
- Biliary atresia
- Perinatal jaundice due to hepatocellular damage
- Other specified perinatal disorders of digestive system
- Injury to liver
- Disorders of purine and pyrimidine metabolism
- Encephalopathy, unspecified
- Portal vein thrombosis
- Deficiencies of circulating enzymes
A liver transplant is suggested if other traditional treatments for liver disease aren’t enough to keep a person alive. Though waiting for a liver transplant is a long process, the surgery coordination happens quickly once you have a match. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.