Find numerous Neurologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. D N Savanth
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. D N SavanthYour feedback matters!
I am taking medicine frisium I have fracture in my head I want ask that will I stop taking medicine or I take medicine forever?
Although surgery is considered to be the first step of treatment in any form of tumor but its feasibility depends upon the type, size and location of the tumor. It is not necessary that every kind of brain tumor might require surgery.
Indications of Brain Tumor Surgery
- Diagnosis of the type of tumor by taking a sample of the tumor for laboratory examination
- Complete resection of tumor
- Removal of the tumor as much as possible to slow down its growth and improve the symptoms.
- Remove the tumor in order to help other treatment
- Provide direct access for other forms of treatment like chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc.
- To relieve pressure caused by tumor on surrounding structures
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
The different types of surgery that are performed in cases of brain tumor include the following:
1. Craniotomy: Craniotomy is the most commonly performed procedure to remove brain tumor along with a piece of bone. The removed bone is replaced and the tumor is sent for histopathology (biopsy). The surgery is performed using a high end microscope by any of the following techniques:
- Extended bifrontal craniotomy
- "Eyebrow" craniotomy (supra-orbital craniotomy)
- "Keyhole" craniotomy (retro-sigmoid craniotomy)
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
2. Shunt: A narrow piece of flexible tube with a pressure regulated valve in between is called a shunt. This is used to relieve the intracranial pressure caused by obstruction of the natural brain fluid (CSF) pathway by tumor mass. The procedure involves insertion of a drainage system into the brain to remove or drain excess of blocked fluid into the peritoneal cavity.
3. Stereotactic surgery: This surgery is done by creating a three-dimensional image called stereotaxy using computers. It aims to find out the location and position of the tumor. In fact it can also be done to aid tumor removal, implant radiation pellets or for other treatments.
4. Embolization: It is a procedure used to reduce the amount of blood supply to a tumor by blocking the blood flow in the selected arteries. It is generally performed before the main surgery.
Endoscopy and endoscope assisted surgery: Endoscope is the tool which helps to closely visualize the tissue through small openings in difficult to reach areas. This tool can be used in various brain surgeries to precisely reach the target location without damaging the adjacent structures.
Adjuvant modalities to improve outcome: In addition to above mentioned surgeries, following surgeries may also be performed in relation to brain tumor treatment:
I am 17 years old. I just gave final exam of class 12. But I am suffering from heavy migraine. What should I do to get rid of this pain?
5 months old baby with seizure taking ACTH inj. Already 13 doses taken. After administration of ACTH baby get measles, diarrhoea, pneumonia, sometimes constipation and 2-3 times fever. Whenever he taking ACTH sudden fever came. Is it necessary to continue the course or stop the course.
Brain surgery involves several medical procedures, which incorporate fixing issues with the brain, including changes in the tissues of the brain, cerebrospinal fluid and brain blood flow. Brain surgery is quite a complicated method of surgery and the type of surgery to be conducted depends on the underlying conditions.
Reasons for Brain Surgery:
Brain surgery is performed for the correction of physical brain abnormalities. These abnormalities could occur because of diseases, birth defects and injuries. A brain surgery is required when the following conditions arise in the brain:
- Abnormal blood vessels
- Blood clots in the brain
- When the protective tissue or dura is damaged
- Due to nerve damage
- Parkinson's disease
- Any kind of pressure after an injury
- Skull fractures
- In case of stroke and tumors
A surgery may not be required for all the above mentioned conditions, but in case of many, a brain surgery is very important as the conditions may worsen health problems.
Types of brain surgeries:
- Craniotomy: During this open brain surgery, an incision is made in the scalp, and a hole is created in the skull, near the area, which is being treated. After this process is complete, the hole or bone flap is secured in its place using plates or wires.
- Biopsy: This form of brain surgery helps in the removal of a small amount of brain tissues or tumors. After removal, the tissues or tumors are examined under a microscope. The creation of a small incision and a hole in the skull is indicated as a part of this process.
- Minimally invasive endonasal endoscopic surgery: This form of brain surgery enables the removal or lesions and tumors via the nose and sinuses. Private parts of the brain can be accessed without creating an incision. An endoscope is utilized in the process which is used to examine tumors all across the brain.
- Minimally Invasive neuroendoscopy: This process is similar to the minimally invasive endonasal endoscopic surgery. This method also involves the use of an endoscope for removal of brain tumors. Small, dime sized holes may be made in the skull to access some brain parts.
Brain surgeries may be associated with several risks. They may be:
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia
- Blood clot formations
- Swelling of the brain
- A state of coma
- Impairment in speech, coordination and vision.
- Problems in memory
- Strokes and seizures
- Infections in the brain
Brain surgeries are now much safer with advancements in medical science. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
7 out of 10 people experience headaches almost every day. It is a very common condition. Headaches can be mild or severe, intermittent or persistent. A headache is characterized by a sharp or dull pain in the forehead or on the scalp.
Headache- Common conditions such as fatigue, lack of sleep, stress, hypertension (high blood pressure), sinusitis, typically cause headaches. A headache resulting from hypertension usually affects both sides of the head, particularly the temple regions.
Migraine- Severe headaches may indicate some other underlying condition like migraine. Migraines is the most complex and aggressive form of headache. It is characterized by debilitating, intense headaches. According to researchers, migraine is caused due to changes in the brainstem and nerve pathways. Environmental and genetic factors also play a role in inducing migraine attacks. Symptoms include vomiting and nausea, sensitivity to sound and light, tingling or numbness, difficulty speaking. Most migraine attacks last for about 4 hours or more.
How homeopathy plays a role in treating headaches and migraine pain-
There’s a fine line between getting a cure and getting relief from pain. Many people depend solely upon painkillers for years. But what they don’t understand is the fact that painkillers only provide temporary relief. Others look for home remedies to reduce pain and eventually learn to live with migraine headaches. Homeopathy does not approve of painkillers. Homeopathy digs deep into the root of the problem and eliminates the cause from within. That is perhaps the reason why homeopathy treatment takes time. The most effective homeopathy medicines for migraine headaches are- Belladonna, Glonoine, Sanguinaria and Spigelia.
Belladonna helps reduce the intensity of sharp throbbing headaches by eliminating pain and promoting restful sleep. It is also capable of improving the state of your nervous system. Glonoine is prescribed to patients experiencing aggressive migraine attacks. Exposure to sunlight or heat triggers migraine pain. Glonoine acts primarily on the nervous system and calms your nerves. It offers relief from ill effects of sunrays and heat in general. Sanguinara is very effective in treating headaches occurring on the right side of the head.
Homeopathy medications are safe, effective and yield long-lasting results. So instead of having strong painkillers, one can easily rely on homeopathy treatment for a cure. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!