Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Charulatha Sankla
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. Charulatha SanklaYour feedback matters!
I am a woman in late 40s and have migraine. To get some relief from the headache usually I take saridon for headache but is there any medicine better than that for faster relief? And I read somewhere that having too much meds can harm the liver so should I avoid taking headache pills?
I have been receiving radiating pain starting from brain to my teeth and nasal passages, I am a teacher by profession and would like to receive a valid consultation.
My son agniv nandi is autism child. He is 9 years old. He could not speak according his level and he is hiper active. He can write and recognize things. What medicine is good for my child?
I am 22 years old. I have a problem of seizure since childhood. I have consulted so many doctors till now about this, but no use. What should I do? we are highly anticipate your response, please tell me.
Hi sir namaskar, sir pichle 6 - 7 sal se Mai bahot Paresan hu sir mere daiye baju(right hand) me sir se pair tak pure hisse me bahot dard hota hai sir ankha kan gardan pitha kamar pair pure hisse me dard hota hai sir Maine bahot sari davaiya li koi fark nahi pada Maine 3 bar M.R.I karaya bahot sare city scan karaye koi fark nahi pada sir koi kuch nahi batate goliya dete hai lekin sir koi bhi goli ek pal ke liye bhi mera dard kam nahi Kari Mai bahot paresan hu Mai kucha nahi kar sakta sir chalne me taklif baithne me taklif sone me taklif bat karne me taklif Mai vet to bilkul bhi nahi Utah sakta sir aur sabse Jada taklif mere pitha me hoti hai sir ayurvedic doctor kehte hai nas dabi hui hai lekin mujhe pata nahi kya hua hai please sir muje help Kariye please.
I am having Pituitary macroadenoma Prolactinoma from last 4 yrs. The tumor has shrunken in size but my prolactin level is above normal in the range of 40-50. I am taking Cabergoline. 5 mg twice a week. Please tell me upto when I have to take the medicine and Will it be completely cured?
Is there any relation between epilepsy and gynoproblem? Can epilepsy occurs because of adverse reaction of delivery.
The primary aim of the treatment in patients suffering from seizure is leasing a seizure-free life without giving way to any adverse effects. This goal can be accomplished in over 60 percent people with the help of anticonvulsants. Some patients also experience adverse effects since they suffer from a seizure which is refractory to medical therapy. Here are some of the common treatment options for seizures:
- Monotherapy: Sometimes, monotherapy is given as it reduces the chance of all sorts of adverse effects and even avoids drug interactions. Moreover, this type of treatment approach is much less expensive than polytherapy since many older generation of the anticonvulsant agent comprises of hepatic enzyme which is responsible for reducing the serum level of the concomitant drug which leads to an increase in the dosage level of such medicines.
- Social And vocational rehabilitation: People suffering from problems in psychosocial adjustments after the diagnosis may also need social and vocational rehabilitation. Many physicians do not pay enough attention to the consequences that an epilepsy diagnosis may leave on the patient. For instance, people with epilepsy may have a fear of experiencing next attack of seizure and they may be unable to work at heights or drive.
- Consulting an expert: It is important to refer patients with intractable spells to epileptologist or neurologist for subsequent workup. A neurosurgical consultation may also be needed when the patient has to be treated surgically.
Importance of anticonvulsant therapy
Patients who have had already suffered from recurrent attacks of unprovoked seizure may need treatment with an anticonvulsant. This treatment is not recommended until the person has risk factors for suffering from the problem yet again. The primary means of treating seizure is anticonvulsant therapy where the most suitable drug is chosen based on accurate diagnosis of the syndrome as a response to specific anticonvulsants may vary from one patient to another. The difference in response may reflect the various pathophysiologic mechanisms in different types of seizures.
Types of anticonvulsant therapy
Some of the anticonvulsant therapy medication may have multiple action mechanism while some have an only single mechanism of action. Some of the most common variants of the therapy include:
- Neuronal potassium channel referred to as KCNQ opener
- Blockers of unique binding sites such as perampanel, gabapentin, and levetiracetam
- H-current modulators such as lamotrigine and gabapentin
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors such as zonisamide and topiramate
- Alpha-amino 3-hydroxy 5-methyl 4-isoxazole propionic acid receptor blockers like topiramate and perampanel.
- N and L-calcium channel blockers like zonisamide, valproate, topiramate, and lamotrigine
Even though there are so many types of drugs available, all of them cannot be used for the treatment of seizures. Doctors would evaluate the condition thoroughly before prescribing a medication that can be helpful in reducing the severity of the condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!