Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Charmi ShahYour feedback matters!
People who suffer from arthritis are more likely to experience osteoarthritis symptoms. The intensity of the feeling of knee pain in winter is often linked to barometric pressure. In winter, there is a reduction in the pressure exerted by the air around us. This drop in pressure can cause the tissues around the joints to swell resulting in increased pain. The other possible cause of knee pain in winter can be explained from the influence of heat. Fluid in tissues becomes more viscous during winter. As a result of this increased viscosity, the elasticity of the muscles decreases, resulting in winter aches and pains.
Some scientists believe that the higher pain intensity in winter is to be more of a psychological thing. Seasonal affective disorder is more during winter, and people suffering from mental depression seem to sense more pain during winter as the weather restricts outdoor activities. Improper intake of food also causes knee pain in winter due to undigested material. Even though winter arthritis is uncomfortable, the following tips help to make the joints work better and make you withstand the season easier.
Tips to Manage Joint Pain in Winters
- Physical activity in winter can reduce winter aches and pains and enhance overall health benefits. Low impact activities like aerobics, swimming in a heated pool, weight training, and riding a stationary bicycle can reduce stiffness, increase the blood flow, and support the knees. Thus, winter arthritis can be well managed by doing exercises.
- Diet also plays a vital role. Eating a balanced diet that comprised of low saturated fat, lean proteins, more fiber, and refined carbs helps to improve body functions during the winter. Drinking water throughout the day helps to reduce winter aches and pains. It is essential to consume easily digestible foods like vegetables. Consuming vegetables like carrots and cucumbers that have diuretic properties can help to eliminate waste products from the body.
- Vitamin D deficiency may worsen osteoarthritis. It is necessary to take a supplement vitamin D or ensure to make your diet is vitamin-D rich. Fish oil is a potent source of omega 3 fatty acids. Increase your intake of milk, a rich source of protein and calcium that help to strengthen the bones. Exposing the body to sunlight help to obtain vitamin D.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen can be used to reduce inflammation and pain. Injecting a viscous substance can decrease the friction of the bones and ease the condition.
Home Remedies for Knee Pain in Winters
- Wrap the inflamed knees with blanched cabbage leaves. This can cool down inflamed knees. Aloe vera also helps to reduce inflammation.
- Comfrey (symphytum officinale) can act as an anti-inflammatory agent. Create a compress using mashed root or comfrey tea soaked bandages can also be used to reduce inflammation.
- Applying an ice-pack can help to reduce swelling and alleviate winter aches and pains. While applying ice-pack, ensure to cover the entire knee. Applying a bag of frozen peas to the area also works well. While using ice or heat therapy, make sure to do them carefully as over agressive and over doing it, can cause problems.
- Steam therapy also helps to reduce pain in your knees. Soak your knee in a steaming hot water for 15 minutes. Applying hot water bag also can relieve knee pain in winter effectively.
- Winter aches and pains all over the body can be relieved by administrating massage therapy by a professional.
- Avoid applying strain or pressure on your knees. Take adequate amount of rest to reduce pain and swelling.
These are basic guidelines to help you. Contact your doctor for further management.
I love to play cricket and I am a bowler but when I throw ball a pain is shown in my shoulder, thereafter I can, t throw any ball, so please help and tell me what is the way to stop it.
I am 60 years old. Suffering with frozen shoulder since 4 months. Taken Ayurveda medicines prescribed by Ayurveda doctor. There is reduction in pain. But still shoulder pains in specific movement. Please suggest me what should be done to complete cure. Any specific foods to be taken etc. C Mallikarjuna, Hyderabad.
I am 20 years old female. Suffering from back ache frequently when standing for more than 15 mins and severe menstrual cramps during monthly menstrual cycle which is unbearable.
I am pregnant 5 months I am doing marketing job. I have to travel to distance . Any problem to baby when I am traveling . Some times I got back pain . please tell me what I do?
I am suffering from some shoulder problem since 12 years back my shoulders bent backward so what I have to do now please reply me?
Why there is soo much leg pain, there is only thyroid problem, no effects of any medicine, legs pain continuously.
I am from silchar ,Assam. Before 3 weeks age I have pain in my left foot toe and after that the pain increases and it came to my knee .then I test my uric acid level .and this was 6.8 and hemoglobin is 15.3 GM/dt of blood .i take tablet like DILONA .but the pain is still in my knee, my main problem is I can't bend my knee and it is very woeful and when I stand up the pain is unbearable .what should I do ?
Hi, I got accident before 2 yrs ago & my knee bone was scratched & i also taken a treatment by a bone specialist for 5 -6 months doctor told that there is no problem with the bone & he given tablets of painkillers & calcium's & also he gave a injection for the knee & i got cured from 2 months the injected place is giving me a sever pain but i think knee is ok because i can walk properly & there is no swelling. But in the night its starts paining only the injected part so kindly advice me a best solution. Again 2 types i have got X-ray of may knee now also doctor is advising me that there is no problem with the bone and he is giving me the same tablets of painkillers & calcium's please guide me regarding this Thank you waiting for your Reply.
I am 46 yrs old. I fell down on my shoulders 1 year back. But for past 3 months my shoulder and back is paining in one point. Can you please suggest.
I have pain in my heals from 1 week. My heals became hard and I had cuts on it. It pain very please help me?
I am a 55 years old male & have back pain at lower part of spinal cod for last 3 months what should do?
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes widespread body pain along with sleep deficits, memory loss, mood problems and fatigue. Symptoms may be triggered after a surgery, physical trauma, infection, or stress. Women are much more vulnerable to this disease than men. Many people affected with fibromyalgia may have suffered from headaches, backaches, depression, anxiety, tension, temporomandibular joint
disorders and irritable bowel syndrome. Most of these patients have undergone multiple consultation with various doctors and undergone many tests, but no diagnosis could be made. These patients are often ignored by doctors and family members as always "complaining of pain".
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia:
- Extensive Pain: Pain related to fibromyalgia is often depicted as a dull pain that lasts for at least three months. Pain can involve any body part like back,neck, chest, arms, legs. Patients have pain in multiple areas of body and painful areas change over time.
- Fatigue: Patients afflicted with this disorder feel tired even after sleep. Such people are reported to sleep for longer hours than normal people, but their sleep often gets disrupted due to sleep apnoea and restless leg syndrome.
- Cognitive Difficulties: These patients find it difficult to concentrate at work and also suffer from memory deficits in daily activities.
- Other Symptoms: These patients may also have symptoms like burning urination, urgency of urination, numbness,loss of appetite, tingling sensation,diarrhoea, constipation, tinnitus, depression etc
Diagnosis of fibromyalgia:
There are no specific test to diagnose fibromyalgia. Diagnosis is made by a doctor specialised in Pain Medicine using clinical methods based on symptoms and examination. Blood tests like Haemogram, Thyroid function test, RA Factor, ESR are done to rule out other diseases which can cause similar symptoms.
Treatment of Fibromyalgia:
- First step in treating these patients is to accept their problem and discuss with patient and family members regarding the presence of such disease entity.
- Lifestyle changes like active involvement in cardiovascular exercises, swimming, yoga, meditation are important to control symptoms.
- Conventional painkillers do not work in these patients. They requires special medications prescribed by a Pain Specialist for control of symptoms.
- Counselling of patient is beneficial for associated depression.