Lybrate.com has top trusted Dietitian/Nutritionists from across India. You will find Dietitian/Nutritionists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Dietitian/Nutritionists online in Mumbai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dt. Charmi Gala
Weight Loss Treatment
Management of Underweight & Malabsorption Disorder
Treatment of Diet
Treatment of Underweight & Malabsorption Disorders
Customised Diet Chart
Treatment of Vitamin Deficiency
Treatment of Overeating Disorders
Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency
Treatment of Blood Pressure Changes
Weight Management Treatment
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Management of Obesity and related Disorders
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Weight Loss Treatment
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Bulimia Treatment & Management
Submit a review for Dt. Charmi GalaYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
When it comes to bananas, most of us just grab them on the go; after all, as they are everyone's favorite fruit and the perfect 100-calorie goody. So, how do you pick your banana fruit? Because, when you look at this fruit, you either think that, 'oh, it’s too ripe' or 'too green'. A banana has two major stages, ripe and unripe. The nutritional value of a banana actually changes as it ripens? Different maturity stages of bananas give different health benefits to your body.
Also, a banana gradually ripens, they become sweeter in taste. But, why does this change happen? It happens because there are enzymes in the banana that breakdown into starch, which isn't sweet in nature, into a new substance called sugar. These changes makes the banana easily digestible.
Let's determine the right stage at which the bananas should be consumed:
Features of ripe banana
Ripe bananas are yellow in color and often feature brown or black spots on their surface.
Pros of consuming ripe bananas
- As compared to unripe bananas, ripe bananas are sweeter and better in taste.
- They contain around 8 percent starch and about 91 percent sugar
- The resistant starch present in unripe bananas changes into simple sugar form as the bananas ripen.
- Yellow bananas are easy to digest since they have a higher glycemic index as compared to unripe bananas
- When the bananas ripen fully, they produce a substance called Tumor Necrosis Factor or TNF and this compound is known for its anti-cancer qualities
- Ripe bananas also have a high level of antioxidants which offer a host of benefits right from boosting your gut health to improved skin
Cons of consuming ripe bananas
- According to some studies, bananas tend to lose some of their micronutrients as they ripen.
- Since ripe bananas are sweeter than unripe ones, they are unsuitable for people affected with Type 2 diabetes.
Features of bananas
Unripe bananas are waxy and green
Pros of consuming unripe bananas
- One of the most excellent benefits of unripe bananas is that they are rich in resistant starch content.
- Unripe bananas are ideal for people suffering from high blood sugar levels. Therefore, if you have diabetes but like bananas, then you should stick to unripe bananas.
- They are incredibly rich in probiotic bacteria, which is necessary for maintaining gut and colon health.
- Moreover, green bananas can absorb nutrients like calcium much better, and therefore they are always a good option for health-conscious people.
Cons of consuming unripe bananas
- They contain around 40 percent starch.
- They are bitter and due to their low glycemic index makes them difficult to digest
- The level of antioxidants increases as the fruit ages and therefore, unripe bananas are low in terms of their antioxidant content as compared to the ripe variety.
- Green bananas are also known to cause bloating and gas formation owing to higher resistant starch content.
All in all, both types of bananas come with a set of benefits. If you don’t have any existing medical condition, you should alternate between both variants to enjoy their respective health benefits. But in case you have diabetes, it is best to avoid ripe bananas. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Depression is definitely something to do with the mind. However, it is important to realize that the brain does not work independently on its own. It still requires the energy that is supplied from the food that is consumed. It is also well known that most reactions in the brain are chemical reactions, be it happiness or sadness. The food that is consumed definitely has chemicals identified which can make the brain act in different ways. So, if the brain is feeling depressed, there are definitely some foods which can change that.
If you are someone who is feeling the blues and do not want to take a pill, try these happy foods which can definitely produce a change.
- Tomatoes: Bright red tomatoes look so good, they make you feel happy. However, they also contain lycopene, which is a phytonutrient that fights inflammation. Stress leads to constant inflammation in the body, and lycopene fights that. The smaller the tomato, the more benefit you have. The maximum benefit is from the skin, and so smaller ones are more useful with their better skin-to-fruit ratio.
- Bananas: Serotonin is one of the happy chemicals (neurotransmitter) that enhances mood. Bananas contain tryptophan which gets converted to serotonin in the body. No wonder that eating a banana makes one feel happy and carefree. If you have not observed, do so next time you eat a banana!
- Nuts: Some nuts can make you go nuts with laughter as they are rich in protein, a perfect snack, and refrain you from snacking on fried foods. What is lesser known is that they contain Omega-3 fatty acids which are proven to beat depression clinically. Vitamin E in them helps fight stress and inflammation, making it more beneficial.
- Oregano: This herb is full of health benefits. It contains caffeic acid and quercitin and rosmarinic acid, which are all proven to fight anxiety, fatigue, and sadness. What makes it more attractive is that is easy to grow, even in a pot on the kitchen window. Add it to your veggies and see your mood brighten up!!
- Chocolates: While biting into a chocolate leaves you grinning, there is a scientific reason for it. The bitter ones, especially, cause release of serotonin and anadamine, which make you feel happy and light. The darker the chocolate, more the happiness.
- Sweet potatoes: They are laden with carbohydrate and tryptophan, which as noted earlier helps fight depression. It also contains vitamin B6, a proven natural anti-depressant. Their rich content of magnesium and potassium also reduces stress.
Before reaching out for a pill to beat the blue, try these colorful food substances and see yourself feeling better and happy!
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!