Find numerous Physiotherapists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Bhavini Mehta
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Bhavini MehtaYour feedback matters!
I'm an athlete I have strained calf muscle which hurts behind my knee when I walk or move. Should I stretch or take rest. Its not a much tear just strain.
The dark pigmentation, also known as hyperpigmentation is a condition whereby there is an elevated production of melanin, the pigment responsible for the skin color. The hyperpigmentation can be an extremely unpleasant and annoying experience affecting the overall appearance of a person.
What triggers the hyperpigmentation of the skin?
- The hormonal imbalance can be an underlying factor responsible for the increased production of the melanin by the melanocytes. It is a well-known fact that the use of birth control pills can elevate the estrogen and progesterone level. The increased estrogen level acts as a catalyst, triggering an upsurge in the melanin production.
- The dark pigmentation can also be a hereditary trait that runs in the family.
- In some, if not all people, increased exposure to the sun rays can trigger a skin inflammation leading to hyperpigmentation.
- The problem can also stem from skin allergies that may result in an inflammatory response, eventually giving rise to the skin pigmentation.
- Certain medications such as chemotherapeutic drugs, anti-seizure drugs, non-steroidal drugs, or hormone therapy can act as catalysts resulting in dark pigmentation.
- Skin damage caused by eczema or identical dermatological conditions can also lead to pigmentation of the skin.
Natural remedies to reduce the dark pigmentation
While medications and treatments may be available to reduce the hyperpigmentation of the skin, most people opt for the natural remedies which prove to be equally effective, if not more. Mentioned below are some natural remedies that have produced amazing results in the case of hyperpigmentation.
- Many people with skin pigmentation or blemishes have benefited immensely from the use of potatoes. Just cut a potato in two halves and sprinkle some water on the exposed side. Now take this exposed side of the potato and gently rub it on the affected skin area. Keep it for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Regularly use this for about a month (three to four times daily).
- Apple cider vinegar can also work miracles in the case of dark pigmentation. Take water and apple cider vinegar (about 3-4 tablespoons each) in a bowl. Apply this mixture on the affected skin area and then wash off with water (lukewarm) after 5 minutes. For the maximum results, the mixture should be used twice daily.
- Lemon, known for its bleaching properties can also be used to treat the pigmentation. Take lemon juice and turmeric powder (1 tablespoon each) in a bowl and apply it on the affected skin every night before retiring to bed. In the excitement, however, do not forget to rinse it off with water after 15 minutes.
- You can also use lemon juice (1 whole lemon) and organic honey (2 tablespoons) mixture on the skin. Wash it off after 15 minutes and skin pigmentation will be a thing of the past. Use this regularly (twice daily).
- The regular use of aloe vera gel (2 tablespoons) and raw honey (1/2 tablespoon) can also work wonders to reduce the pigmentation. The mixture applied should, however, be rinsed off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!