Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Avinash Vinayak Desai
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Avinash Vinayak DesaiYour feedback matters!
Heavy menstrual flow also known as Menorrhagia is one of the most common form of abdominal bleeding from uterus. Everyone has different periods, some might not even notice that time of the month, while others might suffer from heavy bleeding, feeling miserable and a constant worry of leaks and stains leading to embarrassing situations. Periods are considered to be heavy if a pad or tampon is soaked in blood every hour.
Other symptoms of heavy bleeding could be:
- Passing of large clots
- Bleeding at night which requires to get up to change a pad
- Any period that lasts for more than seven days
The causes of heavy bleeding during periods might be due to fibroids (noncancerous tumors of the uterus),
ectopic pregnancy, cervical cancer, pelvic inflammatory disease, use or blood thinners and problems with intrauterine device.
If you are one of those women who suffer from heavy menstrual flow and are quite hassled by the same then worry not here are some tips to deal the your problem.
- Keep a track of the periods as in when they start and the days with heavy bleeding. This helps you to track your next period and prepare yourself well for the same
- Low iron levels can cause heavy bleeding, thus maintaining the iron levels is a good idea
- Eating green leafy vegetables and taking multivitamins helps to maintain the iron levels
- Eat fruit and food with starch to maintain a good sugar level
- Hydrate yourself as it makes you feel less grumpy and miserable
- In case of severe cramps take some pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprofen. Even a hot water bottle is a great way to chase the blues and the cramps
- Get some sleep as one feels tired before the period and the days of the period. Listen to your body and don't push yourselves. Use extra protection in case you are worried about leakage
- Try using a menstrual cup as they have greater capacity as compared to tampons or pads. Also, one does not need to carry any supplies for the day
- Don't feel shy or embarrassed to talk about your condition
- You might need professional help and want to consult a doctor. Keeping a track of your period is good as doctors usually ask for the duration of the period and how heavy were they.
If you do not feel better with these tips a meeting with the doctor can predict the cause of the heavy flow and accordingly a medical treatment can be planned.
Medication for heavy bleeding might include any one or more of the following:
- Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen
- Hormone Therapy for stabilizing the endometrium
- Tranexamic acid to promote blood clotting
- Dilation and curettage that is scraping of the uterus is done
- Hysteroscopy is where a long scope is inserted in the vagina and the lining of the uterus which causes bleeding is removed
- Endometrial resection is where the lining of the uterus is destroyed or removed and also makes it impossible to have babies after this
- Hysterectomy - This procedure is the surgical removal of cervix and uterus (If this procedure is done then it is impossible to make babies after this)
Following these simple tips is sure to control your bleeding, but if you still face issues and problems then consult a doctor.
I am 43 years old. and recently im facing the problem of urine leakage just after urination. moreover at time of sex .my vagina becomes so tight that penetration is not possible .i m getting pain too during penetration.
I am 37 years old. I came to know recently that I have a subserosa uterine fibroid measuring 6*8*6.8 cm (vol: 170 cc). Is there anything I can do to reduce size without going surgery.
The medical term ‘spina bifida’ or spinal bifida refers to a congenital defect in the spine. In simpler terms, spina bifida is a defect in the neural tube. Based on the severity of this disease, spina bifida can be divided into three different types:
The symptoms of spina bifida vary depending on each of these three types. Let's take a closer look at its symptoms here:
Myelomeningocele is the most severe form of spina bifida. In this type of neural defect, spinal canal of the baby remains open in the middle or lower back along a few vertebrae. Due to this opening, a sac is formed at the back of the baby at birth, which exposes the baby to several life-threatening infections.
Some of the common symptoms of this type of spina bifida are:
- Presence of uneven hips
- Deformed feet
- Curved spine or scoliosis
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Muscle weakness
- Paralyzed leg muscles.
Physical deformities from moderate to severe levels are also very common in this type of spina bifida.
Meningocele is a ratherrare form of spinal bifida in which a sack of fluid stays in open at the back of the baby. Here the protective membranes that usually stay around the spinal cord push out through the vertebrae’s opening. Though this sack contains no part of the spinal cord, it may cause minor disabilities.
Some common symptoms of this kind of spina bifida are:
- Membranes forming a visible sack on the back at birth
- Presence of a small opening in the baby's back
The good news is that this sack can be removed through surgery without hampering the normal development of the spinal cord.
Spina bifida occulta is the mildest form of spina bifida, which, in majority of the cases, often stays hidden as its symptoms are rarely visible. As it doesn’t even cause any form of disabilities, it generally goes unnoticed. It doesn’t cause any damages to the nerves or the spinal cord.
Some common symptoms of occulta are:
- Presence of a gap between the vertebrae
- An area on the back formed with extra fat
- Acluster or small group of hair on the back
- A dimple or birthmark on the back.
In this kind of spina bifida, neither any sack of fluid is formed, nor are there any visible opening in the back. Sometimes, people who have spina bifida are not aware of it due to its minimal symptoms.
Spina bifida usually affects a child before birth, when the brain or the cord or the protective covering over them fails to develop completely. Knowing about the symptoms can be one of the best ways to identify and diagnose this disease and opt for proper treatment solutions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
My LMP was 09/08/16. I have done a home pregnancy check on 35th day of my missed period. Got a faint positive line, I have consulted a gynecologist on the same day and she have done blood test for beta hcg level. It came out positive with 658mlul. Before my pregnancy I was having mcbm69 tablet for a healthy conception. When I consulted this gynecologist she have suggested me a tablet named ME12 OD. I am still using it. My first ultrasound scan was at 26th of step 2016. It was a vaginal scan. As per my LMP, EGA is 7 weeks but the result shows it as follows The uterus is retroverted and has a gestational sac measuring 1.5 cm corresponding to 5 weeks 5 days. Yolk sac is seen, fetal pole not yet seen, decidual reaction is good. Ovaries are normal sized. A corpus luteum cyst of 1.8 cm is seen in the right ovary. Impression: Early intrauterine gestation of 5 weeks. Suggested follow up after 10 days to assess fetal viability and dating. From next day of my first scan I have got some coffee brown color discharge. It was lasted 9 days. After that I have white or light yellow color discharge. Actually my Dr. was suggested me a follow up scan on 21st of this month. But yesterday also I had the same discharge. So I went to my Dr. and she have done a scan. The result is below Uterus enlarged shows a single gestational sac which measures- 2.3 cms. Single yolk sac seen - 0.6 cms. Cardiac activity not present. Both ovaries appears normal. Decidual reaction is present. Cervix normal measures - 3.4 x 2.6 cms. Impression: intrauterine gestation of 6 weeks with no cardiac activity. Suggested clinical correlation. After my first scan my Dr. said that its normal and it may be a late conception that's y there is a difference in the weeks. Yesterday she said that its not growing and there is no heartbeat or blood circulation. So I have to wait for one week and after that they will do a scan again and if its in the same situation I have to do ?
Doctor please needs an advice I'm newly married just 3 months of marriage and I haven't conceived before but I noticed I'm adding weight like 87 kg to 100 kg so I decided to burn fat by drinking blended cucumber, ginger and lemon. Now my question is for an expecting mother who wants to conceive is it good to take lemon. Or is there side effect. Because that's easy way to burn fat. Please doctor I need your opinion. Thank you.
I am a 24 years old Girl. I am facing some irugulaties in my Period. I visited doctors. I ate medicines still I am facing problem. I have been trying ayurvedic medicines lately and still the results are same. What do I do?
Diabetes is also known as diabetes mellitus, is a group of metabolic diseases, which raises the glucose level in the blood. If suffering from diabetes, parts of your body might get affected with other diseases as well, like bad eyesight, etc.
Diabetes is of 3 types:
- Type 1 Diabetes: where your body stops insulin production.
- Type 2 Diabetes: where your body does not produce enough insulin to function on or where the cells of your body do not react toward the insulin produced
- Gestational Diabetes: This is the diabetes you or your partner may suffer from during pregnancy.
Suffering from diabetes can make your lifestyle extremely difficult as you will have to go through a lot of restrictions. In order to avoid diabetes and its various outcomes, here are some tips you can follow:
- Keep your weight in control: Make sure you are of the right weight according to your height. If you are more than what you should weigh, and you are creeping towards obesity, you have a high chance of succumbing to diabetes. If you are already obese, start working towards losing weight. Even if you lose 5% of your weight, you will slash the risk of having diabetes by 70%.
- Walk: No exercise is better and easier than walking. Try walking as much as you can. Walking will help you reduce the risk of getting affected with diabetes. If you walk for around 35 minutes every day, you are cutting down the risk of diabetes by almost 30%. Walking, being an exercise, helps your body use the insulin produced in your body more efficiently.
- Drink coffee: Coffee, unlike common belief of being harmful, is actually very beneficial when it comes to keeping diabetes at bay. Coffee contains caffeine, which is believed to improve metabolism. Coffee also has potassium, magnesium and various antioxidants which enable the cells to absorb glucose. Drinking coffee regularly might lower the risk of diabetes by 29%.
- Get proper rest at night: If you sleep for less than 6 hours every night, then the risk of you suffering from diabetes is doubled. But that doesn't mean you are supposed to oversleep. If you sleep more than 8 hours, the risk of being affected with it rises to almost 75%. Hence sleep at least for 6 to 8 hours each night for a healthy life sans diabetes.
Before how many days of next menstrual cycle do a female get white fluid discharge which she usually used to get .at whatdays of periods what discharges are observed .
I am 36 yrs old I have skipped my periods since two months. I have done urine testing n result is negative. Can you prescribe any medicine which gets me period back.
Actually after taking I-pill she had pregnancy test kit and in 1st test result was shown positive and in 2nd test result shown negative and again in 3rd time for confirmation I again took test so result had negative. So, finally I want to know that she will be pregnant or not?
Me and my wife getting intimate without any precaution and we got married in april 2016 only. But this is the third time she is getting in periods. Why she is not able to conceive ?
Dr. agar lump nikalne ke baad ghav bharega to main baby ko milk pila sakti hu naa? Usse baby ko koi reaction nahi hoga naa?
I m 28yr unmarried girl, my periods were always regular but this time its not come on due date and after passing 10 days from due date it still not come. No sexual relation ship, what to do?
Homeopathy for Women
Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea)
Painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea) is one of the most common gynecological disorders. Many women experience sharp, dull, throbbing or cramping pains in the lower abdomen just before or during their periods. There may be also symptoms of nausea, vomiting, sweating and dizziness.
Primary and secondary dysmenorrhea:
Dysmenorrhea can be classified as either primary or secondary based on the absence or presence of an underlying cause.
Primary dysmenorrhea is common menstrual cramps.
Secondary dysmenorrhea is caused by a disorder in the woman`s genital organs.
Common causes of secondary dysmenorrhea include:
Endometriosispelvic inflammatory diseaseuterine fibroidsovarian cystscervical stenosis
Homeopathic treatment for painful periods:
A number of homeopathic medicines can help control the pain as well as actually prevent the menstrual cramps.
Homeopathy is an effective natural treatment with no side effects.
Some homeopathic medicines have a local action (they alleviate the cramps only) and provide fast pain relief.
They are used during painful periods only. Others are called constitutional (chronic) medicines and target the root cause of dysmenorrhea. Constitutional medicines are a deep acting treatment that eliminates not only the menstrual cramps but also brings whole body balance.
The most common homeopathic medicines for fast pain relief include:
Belladonna - Intense throbbing pain with sudden onset, cramps get worse from touch or jolts.
Chamomilla - The woman can`t stand any pain and gets irritable and angry when in pain; passive movement, such as riding in a car or rocking her body alleviate pain.
Cimicifuga - Pain is proportional to the flow - the more they bleed, the stronger the pain; stiffness of neck and shoulders.
Colocynthis - Intolerable cramps; the woman is restless and bent over. Applying pressure on the abdomen or heat relieve the pain. Painful periods are often triggered by anger or suppressed indignation.
Magnesia phosphorica - Cramps relieved by pressure or warmth; right side abdominal pain is more common.
Veratrum album - Severe menstrual cramps accompanied by nausea, vomiting and sweating; heavy flow; tired and chilly woman.
Take them regularly throughout the day, not just when pain becomes difficult to cope with. In severe dysmenorrhea, for best results start taking them a day or two before the onset of your menstrual flow.
For well selection of the medicine consult a doctor. Avoid self medication.