Find numerous Audiologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Audiologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Mumbai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ashwini RaoYour feedback matters!
Dr. Sir, I suffer from profound Hearing loss. I am Male 68 yrs, Veg, 74 Kgs, Non Smoker. My Doctor advised me to take "High Res CT Scan Temporal Bone (Bilateral) Does this give only the cause/source for Hearing loss OR does it give any other problems (not related to Hearing) also. OR can we include some other tests also, to check if there are any other problems. Please clarify.
सर्वे में पता चला है की आँखों ,बालों और शारीरिक खूबसूरती से ज्यादा आपकी स्माइल (मुस्कान) आपको आकर्षक बनती है।
Actually mere sister ka beta abhi 2 saal ka hai lag bhag. Or wo normal huya tha. But kuch time baad usko minor brain hemorrhage hogya tha. Or kafi time machine me reha. Abhi vo waise to thik hai but Dr. Kehte hai ki uske ek ear me problem hai or vo kam sunnta ho or uska operation bataya hai 6 lakh tak kharcha or bola hai ki koi chip hai Jo iske ear me dali jayegi or iske mind ki nase week hai or wo apne pairo par bhi kharda nahi hota thik se. Means vo dekhne mein abnormal lagta hai but vo normal hai. Kya iska koi ilaaz hai kyonki itna paisa nahi hai ki operation kar de so please kuch bataye taki vo baby thik ho jaye please help
i had loss hearing since 2yrs ago. doctors told me that my ears sensoneural nerve was damaged and there is no chance to get back. is it possible to hear again? please.. help me
The ear has three parts – outer, middle, and inner – through which sounds waves pass through. On reaching the inner ear, the sound waves are transmitted through a fluid medium which is carried through to the brain to produce “sound.” Hearing loss can be due to problems anywhere in this circuit – from the outer ear to nerve issues in the middle ear.
There are two main types of hearing loss
Conductive hearing loss, where problems in the outer or middle ear cause problem conducting sound waves into the inner ear
Sensorineural hearing loss, where there is a problem in the nervous portion of the hearing process
Conductive hearing loss occurs due to poor conduction of sound waves to the middle ear, where it is processed to perceive the sound. Conductive hearing loss can happen due to the following reasons:
- Wax: Excessive wax accumulated in the outer ear can prevent passage of sound into the middle ear
- Infection: The outer or middle ear could be infected, affecting passage of sound waves
- Tear in the eardrum: The eardrum is a membrane through which sound waves pass. A tear due to trauma or injury can hamper this process, leading to hearing loss.
- Impact: When there is a bang on the head, there could be temporary hearing loss due to disruption of the hearing system
- Hereditary: A lot of times, hearing loss is hereditary and an exact cause may not be traceable
- Ear tumor: Middle ear tumors can also cause conductive hearing loss
- Abnormal growth: Abnormal bone growth in the middle ear can cause blockage, leading to hearing loss
- Post-surgical: The ear is a highly complex structure, and while surgical corrections are being done to treat a condition, it is very likely that other parts can be damaged
In most of the conditions mentioned above, there are some sound waves which pass through, so conductive hearing loss is often partial, wherein the person can hear but it is faint. Very rarely, it is complete where the person goes completely deaf.
This would depend on the cause of the hearing loss.
- Clearing up the wax can lead to improved hearing
- A tear in the eardrum or fluid buildup would need surgical repair to restore hearing
- Infections might require treatment with antibiotics and pain killers
- Tumors or bone growths would also require surgical correction for restoring hearing
- For outer ear blocks, audiometry is done only after the blocks are cleared
- If post correction, the hearing is not completely restored, hearing aids can be used, which often results in complete restoration. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
My dad is having hearing disorder. From one ear, he can't hear anything but from the second one, doc says that a machine can be used. My question is, is the hearing impairment machine the only solution for long term (can some medication or alternative treatment help)? I'm trying to find an alternative to hearing aid, as I assume that if someone is using hearing aid then over long term his ear can't improve, it will only deteriorate further. Please correct me.
Sir, I have hearing problem especially in meetings I could not hear properly. Met audiologist in bangalore they suggested for hearing aids. please advise me.
Hearing songs by earphones in a medium for a long time is harmful to health? Bluetooth headset is harmful?Please tell.
He is addicted to drugs and not listening to anyone we have to tie him to not to go anywhere. Please guide us.
Daily I have to talk and listen to my clients at my office. I use my voice a lot. But at the end of the day I feel pain in my throat. I hydrate throughout the day. Pls tell me what to do to improve my voice box and not to pain. I don't want to take medicine. Visited Dr. many times but didn't see much improvement. Thanks.
Due to rainy season and cold atmosphere my ear feel like got blocked. But I can hear well, still it feels quite strange, so provide solution for making ear free.
Doc, you said ear had 3 parts, how will I know if my ears is affected by 1, 2 or 3? I'using hearing aid now but the sound is not good and I cannot identify the voice, I been with my audiologist many times to fine tune my hearing aids but still the same. What should I do?
Loss or impairment of hearing can happen due to a variety of causes and may be temporary or permanent in nature, depending on the type and severity of the condition. One of the most common causes of hearing impairment is age. The degeneration of one's vital organs and senses becomes a reality for many people as the advancement of age happens, and the delicate insides of the ears are no different. Noise pollution, injury to the ear drum or any other part of the ear, as well as the movement of particles inside are only a few of the many reasons for loss of hearing. One of the many ways of dealing with long term hearing impairment is by using a hearing aid.
Read on to know how you can regain your hearing with hearing aids:
- Long Forgotten Sound: A hearing aid will help you reacquaint yourself with long forgotten and subtle sounds that you may not have been able to hear for a long time. Many times, this kind of impairment also makes us forget to notice the fact that we do not hear so many normal sounds in our everyday lives - sounds that we probably did not notice even earlier. This may include the whirring of a fan, the whoosh of the air, the pitter patter of pets' feet and so much more. A hearing aid will help in bringing about an adjustment to these sounds that you will actually end up discovering again.
- Technicalities: The hearing aid basically works by letting your hearing and ears readjust to the various volumes, intensity and vibrations that one feels when different sounds reach the ears. This helps in hearing better.
- Amplification: A hearing aid is basically an electroacoustic device that fits in neatly behind your ear where it is tucked away from plain sight. This device helps in amplifying sounds so that you can catch them and hear them more clearly.
- Modulation: The ENT specialist will usually prescribe a certain kind of hearing aid based on your individual condition in terms of volume, size, power and circulation. These factors help in modulating the sounds in a certain way so that they reach the nerve pathways from the inner ear and travel to the brain in a proper and effective way. This is usually done in a customised way to cater to the specific type and cause of your hearing loss.
Using a hearing aid is a matter of retraining your hearing rather than restoring it completely. These aids will be helpful in regaining a better sense of hearing within the condition you are going through, rather than reversing the condition completely. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
I have hearing loss in right ear since the last few years ago. Pls do suggest me for better treatment.
My sister having hearing and speaking problems from birth. She's now 18 years old. Is it possible to rectify her problems? How much it will cost?
I am 47 years old .From last 2 years, I am unable to feel smell through my nose. But sometimes, I feel smell for a short period.
Hi ma'am, my daughter (3.7 years old) is having hearing loss. She has sloping sensory neural hearing loss. Do you have treatment for such type of hearing loss. Please let me know.
1. Congenital causes
2. Maternal rubella syphilis or certain other infections during pregnancy
3. Low birth weights
4. Birth asphyxia
5. Severe jaundice in neonatal period